Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Strathmore Oil Painting Paper 400

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Goodcatbadcat

Has anyone tried this? I did a forum search but can’t much information on it as it is rather new. I really enjoy studies on paper, so I don’t burn through my canvases, but Strathmore claims that it is suitable for finished works as well. I picked up a pad, and I have to say it’s strange. I either really love it or hate it. It feels like fabric to my finger tips. Like a stiff fabric.

My biggest gripe is it doesn’t take to toning very well. At least I haven’t found a way to tone it that I especially like. It gets this very mottled appearance and, if I don’t allow it to dry for a full day, it comes through subsequent layers of paint. I’ve seen videos of people toning the canvas with zero problems- with exactly the same items I use (paint and OMS) but we have very different results.

I’d love to hear whether or not anyone else has found a way around some of the issues I’ve encountered because I do really enjoy it for studies, which make up a big portion of my daily efforts.

I included some images in case people weren’t familiar with it and a close up of a current study to show the texture of the paper. It is linen like, as its intended to be and smoother than it appears in the photo, and I really rather like it though it’s not as even as I would insist on for professional works.

“I'm drawing a picture in my mind of what's on your mind. I'm a little confused in my mind, but your mind is coming in clear as hell." - John Altoon

Gigalot

You can try Acrylic spray paint to tone oil painting paper.

Goodcatbadcat

You can try Acrylic spray paint to tone oil painting paper.

That is so darn sensible. Thank you! I will try that!

“I'm drawing a picture in my mind of what's on your mind. I'm a little confused in my mind, but your mind is coming in clear as hell." - John Altoon

Richard P

Interesting! It says you don’t need gesso, and no oil haloing. So there must be some coating already on or in the paper to reduce absorbency. I like the look of it :)

Goodcatbadcat

Interesting! It says you don’t need gesso, and no oil haloing. So there must be some coating already on or in the paper to reduce absorbency. I like the look of it :)

Richard,

I actually really like it. I’ve used Canson XL oil and acrylic paper and Arches for quite some time now and I really don’t care for the….thirsty quality of Arches, and the Canson is just really, well, it serves its purpose but it’s pretty awful. Very uneven and the paint just sinks into it despite a definite coating of something on the surface.

But I really like this. It’s thick too, and I have noticed the paint retains its vibrancy and fresh appearance after it dries. Indefinitely from what I can tell. I tend to work out pretty complex studies and the paper is good if you’re doing something a little more extensive than a sketch. Or I would imagine it’s ideal for anyone who is new to oils and finds canvases intimidating and cost prohibitive.

Dcam
                            dobber

You might want to try Centurion oil primed linen pads. I used them on a plein air trip. I just taped them to a board. I like it much better than Arches oil paper and Canson Canva paper. Not on sale they are a little more costly but still worth the money. I wait for a sale at Jerry’s Artarama it’s the only site that I’ve seen it on. They are currently on sale and come in pads of 10 sheets.

Dobber
                                "...drawing is the root of everything."-Van Gogh

www.helendobbins.com
                                Goodcatbadcat

DCam,

I just discovered like a week ago! Actually in my quest to figure out how to prime paper substrates and reduce warpage. I’m excited about the possibilities.

Dobber,

Thank you for the information! I looked it up after reading your post and they look promising. That’s exactly what I’ve been looking. I also found some plein air boards by Canson I’m curious about, which I hope will out perform their canva-paper.

Ted B.

Oil paper and prepared linen sounds interesting especially for painting trips and en plein air. Ten or twenty sheets hardly take up much space, …or weight.

Radical Fundemunsellist

AnnieA

It does sound interesting and thanks for showing us some photos. Just FYI, Blick and Fredrix both offer a pad of gessoed canvas sheets which are pretty reasonably priced.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                                            [FONT=Palatino]
                                            “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

Bbbpainter

For plein air painters using primed paper, what do you suggest for travelling with all the wet sketches?

dustlilac

I tape the canvas/paper to hardboard or thick cardboard before painting, once I’m done I leave them taped to the boards and stack them with spacers like a sandwich, the sandwich is held together with binder clips. The whole sandwich goes into a cardboard carrying case.

The spacers touch the tape only and are made from thick foam, I used to use wood spacers but had too many accidents while putting the sandwich together with the spacer moving and ruining the painting. I can tape the foam with double stick tape to the board and this way it’s not going anywhere. Technically you can even use bigger boards with a space for painting, tape, and permanently attached spacers on sides.

Ted B.

They make foam tape that already has the adhesive applied, no dbl-faced tape required. Look at the hardware store for “insulating tape” or “camper tape”, they come in several widths and thicknesses. Just use caution, the tape is permanent …so only use on the backer board, never the art itself.

I like oil paper for studies, but I still struggle with how to transport them “wet” while working plein air. In the studio I just use cardboard or foamboard backer, but for traveling I’ve tried masonite and gatorboard but the “wet” surface remains troublesome.

If I’m not concerned with permanence, I just paint directly on matte board scraps I buy cheap at the framing shop.

Radical Fundemunsellist

stowecat

Hi,

I have found spraying Arches oil paper with two coats Retouch Varnish works well to decrease the thirstiness. If I want toned paper, I mix gesso with acrylic, usually black or yellow ochre, and apply that to heavy watercolor paper (less expensive than the oil paper). But now that I’ve read this thread, I’ve ordered a pack of Strahtmore for testing.

budigart

You all might be interested in looking at this guy’s web site: https://www.santocesar.com/

Cesar does a lot of oil painting in his sketch books, and explains how he does it. He has quite a few videos available on his site, and on youtube. He is an excellent artist/painter.

And, in the for what it’s worth department, something I do now and then is paint on cardboard. Nothing serious. Just studies and things I’m trying out or a puzzle I’m trying to solve. I use cardboard because it’s free (if you’re willing to dumpster dive or beg from local stores), and you don’t ruin an expensive canvas while learning. Of course, if you accidentally paint a masterpiece, you can always claim that painting on cardboard shows just how arty you are. After all, Munch’s The Scream is crayon on cardboard and it’s worth $8 million or so.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.