Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching Drawing a dog with black fur

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    spazstic

Hello all. I am having a hard time trying to draw a dog that is jet black. I don’t understand how I am to get this to look realistic. Does anyone have any pointers I may use? Would be greatly appreciated.

decktilldawn

I would say to start with a hatching technique, following the direction of the growth. Removal with a precisely molded kneaded eraser might help too.

-JeremyDeck,22http://www.gutenberg.org/files/14264/14264-h/14264-h.htm
            Practice & Science Of Drawing, by Harold Speed.
            http://www.gutenberg.org/files/20165/20165-h/20165-h.htm
            Theory and Practice of Perspective, by G.A.Storey

edtree

Hi,

I’ve never specifically rendered a black dog, but I’ve done some black cats and a black bear. You will want to look closely and study what is not black. What will give form and interest are the highlights.

I’m sure others will come forward with advice for you. A couple members are especially great with dog drawings :)

Elizabeth

C & C always welcomed and appreciated!

My Website: www.CrabtreeOriginals.com

chaz

What Elizabeth told you is exactly right. The dog is not dead black. Nothing with shape is flat black. Light flows over the curves and angles, changing density where it is reflected back to you. Every hair has a shape, and the light flows over that tiny shape. What is dead black to you is actually a shadow of the individual hair. If you look closely at a live black dog you will see many colors on that animal.

I would not use cross hatching to depict the hair. The way I would go about it , depending on whether it is short haired dog or long haired animal, make a stroke in the direction the hair is going, a short one or a long one if the hair is long. Fill an area with these strokes, then with the point of a kneaded eraser, make random strokes the length of the pencil strokes. Make more pencil strokes and more eraser strokes until you have hair. this will create shadows and lighter and darker hairs. works every time. this requires patience and takes a little time, but works every time. Remember there are large areas of lighter and darker patches of color where the planes of the body turn into and away from the light . Some spots might actually appear to be white. Nothing in nature is completely black, unless you are drawing a black dog or cat at midnight with no moon.
                    Also remember, that to have dark, you must also have light.

Good luck. Let us see that dog when you are finished.

Chuck

I draw. I paint. Therefore I am!

Web: www.prairiepencil.com . Blog: prairePencil[/CENTER]

JayD

when you are dealing with black you also need to think reflections or reflective quality of the fur. Look for highlights vs lowlights and that will set you on your way.

catmandolin.deviantart.com

nancyl746

also, there are other colore within that black, blues, greens, reflected colors etc. look for them
                            Nanc

Nanc

spazstic

Thank you all so much, I will definately give it a shot. It is a long haired dog, Newfoundland to be exact.

nancyl746

Here is a link to a painting I did of a Newfie
                                    https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402315
                                    Nanc

Nanc

spazstic

Awww that is a very nice painting. Here is my reference photo.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                      • The topic ‘Drawing a dog with black fur’ is closed to new replies.