Home Forums Explore Media Clay Years Old Glazed but Unfired Pottery

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I was hoping someone on this board could help me.

My 95 year old mom was, 20 plus years ago, a very skilled potter. She had a kiln in her yard and was relatively prolific, giving most of her pottery away as gifts.

I was recently going through her house (she now lives in a nursing home) prior to its sale and found about 30 pieces of pottery that appear to have been glazed and awaiting firing. For whatever reason, they never were fired, but otherwise look to be in good shape.

I would love to have these pieces finished. Can anyone tell me if they can still be fired? As I said, the pieces must be in the range of 20 years old.

Thanks for any input you can offer.

ic.Art

Hi. If the powdery glaze covering is in tact without chips or scratches to the surface then yes it will fire, any dust will just burn off.

Do you know what temperature your mother used to fire to? Was she firing to hobby temperature about 1000C, earthenware temperature 1080-1100C, midfire 1200-1220C or high fire 1280C . (sorry, I am in a metric country).

It is VERY important to know what temperature the glaze on the pieces fires to because the wrong temperature will ruin the glaze or the kiln shelf it’s fired on or can melt the clay the pot is made from. Hoping your Mum remembers.

If your Mum does not remember all is not lost. Take the pots to a potter, ask them to wash off the glaze and reglaze it in earthenware glaze, in the colours your mother used to like, as this is the most common formula used. The clay pot itself can be under fired a bit and still work but the clay pot cannot be over fired without problems so earthenware firings are a good compromise.

Let us know how it works out.

'Don't worry about your originality. You couldn't get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick with you and show up for better or for worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do.' - Robert Henri

Thank you so much for your reply.

Unfortunately, my mom has dementia, so she’s unable to help me with information on the temperatures. She used a homemade kiln my dad built in the back yard. Not sure how hot it got but I do remember her complaining that temperatures were a bit inconsistent.

I’m going to take your advice and bring some pieces to someone locally. Hopefully, some or all of them are salvageable.

Thanks again.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.