Home Forums Explore Subjects Figure, The More life drawings

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    earlselwyn

It’s a new semester. This a 3 hr pose. Pencil on Canson paper. Cc always welcome.

-Earl

instagram.com/earlselwyn/

bobbymac

excellent Earl :)

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art - Leonardo da Vinci
            More than happy to receive C&C on anything I post
            Instagram
            https://www.instagram.com/the_henson_gallery/

Just admiration from me!

bethany
            moderator in figures & portraits blogs: artbybethany life-presence
            website www.bethanyart.com
            My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

nicely done Earl!

Mac

ArtistOz

Earl, you seem to be picking up the anatomy clues to help your drawing. I have a few questions :)

Do you really need to put in that cast shadow on the leg? Hale was not a fan of students drawing cast shadows with good reason.

The proportions drawn of the legs in relation to the torso make them shorter, this happens in people, Da Vinci made the pubis as the centre point between the head and the heel he was following Vitruvius’s theory. On the other hand Durer made the centre point a bit higher giving his models longer legs. You can see this in animé and manga drawings where the females have impossibly long legs. It is a question of personal aesthetics over literalism. I always check this proportion and make decisions as to balance it out as equal or make the legs longer or go with the exact proportions if shorter. It depends.

Given that information above what would you go for in the proportions of the legs to the rest of the body?

Bill,
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/artistoz/
                Instagram, billwperry

earlselwyn

Thank you for your comments everyone. It’s really nice to get encouragement from veteran artists whose work I admire.

Bill, I’m mostly site-sizing and occasionally using Loomis’ advice/rules for proportions. I struggle with proportions consistently and I’ve noticed that I tend to draw figures with longer waists and shorter legs. I think most of us have some bad habits. I try to compensate by measuring/mirroring repeatedly before making a final decision. Right now, my goal is to draw as accurately as possible. I put in the cast shadow because it was really there and because of my position I didn’t have many dark shadows to work with. I have to ask… why did Hale have an aversion to cast shadows? Btw, I think the cast shadow is sized about right… but I drew the model’s right hand a few sizes too small. I couldn’t see it until I saw the iphone pic. Strange.

As always, thanks for your thoughtful input.

Regards,
                    Earl

ArtistOz

There is too much to see which is why we miss some errors.

Earl, Hale’s book ‘Drawing Lessons from the great masters’, page 61 & 62. He gives an exercise where the objects are erased and only the cast shadows remain giving the illusion of holes in the table . He says that accomplished artists radically change or even eliminate the cast shadows they see in nature or on the model because in some cases cast shadows destroy forms.

Somewhere in one of my threads from the past a poster points out that the cast shadow from the chin on the neck is giving the model a beard.

Hales argument is the skilled artist does not draw what he sees rather he makes the drawing fit the lighting conditions that give it better form, even inventing his own lighting if he has to.

Hale, tells the anecdote of one of Whistler’s students telling him ” I like to draw what I see!” and Whistler replied, “Wait til you see what you draw!”

This is a link to James Gurney’s blog where he shows how he massively reduced the cast shadows for a stamp he illustrated.
                        https://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2010/11/sickle-cell-stamp-part-2.html

Bill,
                        Instagram, billwperry

earlselwyn

Far be it from me to argue with the likes of Hale. Thanks for the advice. -E

Dorrart

I like the position you took to view the model. It’s an interesting pose. Nice play of line weights. Good composition; the figure occupies the page well.

- David

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." --Picasso

earlselwyn

Dorrart- I took that position because I was late and all the “good” spots were taken. I’m kinda glad I was late.

This is a one night drawing in preparation for upcoming long pose. This was 3 hrs of struggle. I couldn’t get the stance right… which is kinda the point of doing a preliminary drawing. Anyway, here it is… -Earl

llawrence

This was 3 hrs of struggle.

I hate drawing days like that. This turned out well, though… some softer edges on some of the form shadows and it’s a fine finish!

ArtistOz

Suck it up Earl unless you are doing this 30 hours a week for a few years it will be a long haul to mastery at least you are getting ahead slowly. Most figure drawers would be happy to reach your level and making the same mistakes. :angel:

Bill,
                                            Instagram, billwperry

123harry

Good stuff, the poses seem to have real suppleness. I like the hands in the first one.

C&C always welcome.
                                                Instagram harry.hamill

earlselwyn

Thank you Harry!

Bill, You posses a wonderful gift for passive-abusive encouragement. It is always appreciated. Thanks.

This is the block-in for the latest long pose. Will be my largest drawing so far. Nitram charcoal on Canson MiTeintes 19×25 paper. As usual, I’ll be posting progress.

-Earl

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.