WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Animal and Wildlife Subjects
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2010, 11:36 PM
A WC! Legend
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia
"I just want to go home" WIP

I have another animal on the go. Yet again, going for a slightly looser style using sandpaper and fibreglass brush. I will be colouring this. It's 8x10 scratchboard and from my own reference.

Sometimes titles like this one can be contrived. I catch an animal looking sad and make up a title that fits a human emotion which can be fun but can also be nowhere near the truth. However in this case, this orangutan is Pusung from the Adelaide Zoo. The Adelaide Zoo is a wonderful place and does a great deal of good work. The environment is excellent, the zoo staff care about their animals properly, world breaking research is done there etc etc. It's as good as a zoo can be given where it is.

However, even in the best possible artificial environment, a wild animal is out of place. This is not a judgement on zoos, it's just the way it is. Pusung looked terribly sad all morning as I sat there taking photos.

He died about three months later

"I just want to go home"

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2010, 11:38 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Waldport, Oregon

Hails from United States
Re: "I just want to go home" WIP

Awww, Patrick, it's beautiful. I have trouble with paint and the FB brush, how do you do it?
Karen
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2010, 12:04 AM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

beautiful Patrick, orangs are the most intelligent, and closest to us of all the primates in makeup of emotions etc. I just read a story of one in a compound who learned to pick the lock of the basement door under the island, and let all of them out to go see the elephants. First all the keepers got in trouble, then it happened again, and firing was threatened, then again and yet again, until one day he was spotted picking the lock. So the people were off the hook, but the troupe got out again, so the people went through the island picking up all the sticks etc that could be used to pick the lock. No dice, still happened, until one day the keeper saw a glint in the orangs mouth, he'd hidden a tiny wire there in his gums, his lock picking tool. The point of the story was the orang could practice deception, something supposedly human, and so the thinking process needed for that was quite like our own. Ie, had to make the tool and know enough that it might be found and then where to hide it.....The thing is no one told him how to pick a lock...but that was not mentioned. So maybe your title is just right, not anthropormorphic.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2010, 12:21 AM
Immortalized
Iowa

Hails from United States

OHHHHHHHHHH Patrick that really brought a tear to my eye to read that Pusung had passed. How very sad for such an exquisite animal. We have to Great Ape Trust here and have watched them work on computors and its amazing. Not allowed to get pictures of them of which I would love to to do art of them. They have banobos and orangutan there. One orangutan is from a movie made with Clint Eastwood but cant think of his/her name.

You have done a beautiful job in your portraying of this one and it truely shows the sadness. Its very moving.

Laurie
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2010, 12:26 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Karen, thanks Try facing the bristles towards you a little and pulling towards you. This gives a sharper yet still soft mark than if you have the bristles trailing the stroke. I hope that makes sense.

Colleen, that is a fascinating story. I'm a Christian and I'll nail my colours to the cross there but I get absolutely sick of others of my faith who tell me that dogs don't go to heaven and that animals only operate on instinct. Down with them!! It takes very little observation these days to know that they have brains which operate pretty darn well. Thanks for sharing that.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2010, 12:28 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Many thanks Laurie. In the movie, he was "Clyde" from 'Every which way but loose' and the sequel 'Any which way you can'. We weren't very enlightened back then but I still loved those movies
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2010, 01:45 AM
Immortalized
North/Central Saskatchewan

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickHedges

Colleen, that is a fascinating story. I'm a Christian and I'll nail my colours to the cross there but I get absolutely sick of others of my faith who tell me that dogs don't go to heaven and that animals only operate on instinct. Down with them!! It takes very little observation these days to know that they have brains which operate pretty darn well. Thanks for sharing that.

YA>>>>>What he said YAAAAA.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Lord of the Arts

This is gorgeous, I love the expression! As much as I engoy going to zoos (the only place I get to see wild animals), I always feel terrible when I see the animals pacing back and forth in their small cages of hiden in a corner. Im looking forward to seeing how this turns out!
Paige
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2010, 09:24 AM
WC! Guide
TN

Hails from United States

Oh Patrick, this is so beautiful and heart breaking to hear that he pass on.
I just love your work! The sad look on his face says it all.
Jody
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2010, 10:54 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Thanks guys

Here's the update. I still have work to do - I may put in a vague background and I have to add more depth to the fur, especially on the face.

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Immortalized
Johnson City, NY

Hails from United States

Wow Patrick, the initial story of the saddness that was displayed and then his death really makes you think about the emotions of animals. This is a beautiful tribute to Pusung.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Enthusiast
California

Hails from United States

Wow! All those wrinkles in his sad face -- must have taken you awhile to render those... I'd vote for no background because, as it is now, there is a feeling of loneliness and starkness and if that's what you want to convey, then it works really well as is.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Lord of the Arts
Mallorca, Spain

Hails from Panama

great work so far. Will lurk some more.

I've been doing a lot of abstract painting lately, extremely abstract. No brush, no paint, no canvas, I just think about it....
http://ceci-watson.artistwebsites.com/
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Lord of the Arts

Broken hearted spirits just too many of them both man and beast.

To me this is what you captured in Pusungs' portrait. What a strong legacy for him, maybe you can help to bring awareness in your next show with this portrait and your amazing talent.

Do you take your children on these wonderful photo expeditions? What a great hands on experience to be a part of!!

Sharon
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Lord of the Arts
farnham, surrey

Hails from United Kingdom

I havent read all this, just seen the pic, and Patrick mate, your apes are second to none.... superb... Paul