WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > All Media Art Events
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2016, 10:55 AM
North East England.

Hails from England
Talking Weeders' Chatroom!

December, run-up to Christmas and the end of the year ........ always a dark period with that one spot of light later!

We don't seem to be very communicative these days do we? Busy lives don't leave much room for 'get-togethers'!

Well, I refuse to be glued to Facebook and my phone, so I'll keep popping in to see if anyone has news to share

Hope all is well in your world - happy shopping to all who have to face the 'What shall I get?' trips!!!

If you have any nice pics of the season, do please share them!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2016, 04:45 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada
Re: Weeders' Chatroom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Mum
Well, I refuse to be glued to Facebook and my phone, so I'll keep popping in to see if anyone has news to share

Me too!!
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2016, 05:28 PM
A WC! Legend
Beaudesert Queensland Australia

Hails from Australia

I have never been able to understand the fascination with facebook and even though I have an account I rarely open it. This is much more my speed.

We are into the 3rd day of summer here and it is so HOT!! It just saps all my energy. I am so envious of those of you who get a white Christmas, at least I am at the moment.

I have applied to be part of an open studio event in my district next year and am trying to straighten up and get organised . I need to get some sort of gallery display system happening because at the moment I have hundreds of paintings stacked against walls and in piles as well as hanging haphazardly from bits of string attached to a picture rail. I have been doing a lot lately on paper and canvas pages and am thinking of simply matting them and putting them into a cellophane packet instead of going to the expense of framing them. The hope is that I will actually sell some and at least recoup the cost of participating.
It is not until May so there is plenty of time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2016, 06:51 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Have a box with small things - greetings cards ready - of your works.

Make some coasters of fridge magnet kind of stuff which doesn't cost much to produce (inserts are prints on photo paper) and can also be given 'fre' if you sell a decent painting (pricewise).
My experience has been that the public seldom want to spend a lot but will buy bookmarks and cards etc!

You can get small table easels of folded card to support work ....... see if there's wall space and how to hang work!

Good luck - the months will fly by and you'll still be working the night before!

Weathers rather nice here - been a good autumn and now winter (so far) - coldish but pleasant . however, the berries are nearly all gone, birds have had a feast and left nothing in the larder!!!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My SAA website**
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2016, 03:20 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Thanks Maureen, there are some great tips there.
I am also going to do some hand painted greeting cards as they are easy to do and I have no problem selling them at our local gallery. The coasters and bookmarks sound interesting and I will look into the paper easels.

We had storms here the last couple of evenings which has cooled things down for a while and given the garden a much needed drink. I only have mulberry trees which are not fruiting at the moment, the birds love them as well.
I do have mango trees that are supposed to be in season but did not get much fruit on them this year. They say it was the abnormally hot wet winter that caused it. The birds dont seem to go for them anyway but the possums love them, I am happy to share what I have.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2016, 04:28 PM
A Local Legend
Calgary, AB

Hails from Canada

hi all! i hope you guys don't mind but in lieu of typing comments on everyone's work, i think i might just say hi here instead. my typing is terrible these days... right hand just does not work well anymore and it would take forever. rest assured i look at it all and marvel at all the talented artists that participate!

Christmas shopping is done yay for amazon! still waiting for some deliveries though.

i am another that doesn't think much of Facebook. i have an account also with a Business page (or Fan page or whatever they call it now) and have not done much with it. i get bombarded with 'do you know so-and-so?' messages. who are these people?

Christine... good luck with that show. Maureen's idea of selling little stuff is a good one. i would also take a couple of big showy ones to attract attention too.

we are going to get some renovations done on the house starting monday or tuesday. the half bath on the main floor will become a full bath that is wheelchair accessible. i can barely climb stairs to the shower anymore so this will be a big relief! a window overlooking the patio will also become a patio door with access to a wheelchair ramp. all i need is the wheelchair! i have been fitted for it but it may or may not come before Christmas. So still stumbling around in a walker for now i guess blah.

we have a major dump of snow here in the last couple of days so i hope it doesn't hold up the renovations too much.

wow i seem to be chatty today haha!

Said Hamlet to Ophelia, I'll draw a sketch of thee;
What kind of pencil shall I use? 2B or not 2B?
Spike Milligan
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2016, 05:42 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Thanks for suggestion Mike, I will do that. I am going to start a list so I can get things planned well ahead of time.

Your renovations sound like they will make things much easier for you and I hope your wheelchair arrives soon. What a difference that will make.

We can only buy books on Amazon over here, I have tried to use it a couple of times but it does not like my address. Ah well its for the best because the postage would probably make me rethink things anyway

Snow?
What is snow?
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2016, 12:19 PM
WC! Guide
Regina, Saskatchewan CANADA

Hails from Canada

great to se you all here. i do get sidetracked with facebook as i keep a running album going there and have a sketching group that I keep tabs with as we get together every tuesday

hope your renos go wellMike, it will make things so much easier, have been enjoying your drawings, I have not commented this week either so should actually do tht, I finally got another blacksmith done, I have had that photo saved for a while from another WDE.
Christine, another idea maybe, is tree ornaments and magnets, I was at our Winter Bazaart with an art collective I belong to, and just made a few for fun and sole all the tree ornaments and half the magnets, also lots of cards I paint originals, and sometimes print off reproductions whish I usd his year for my christmas cards
good luck with the show
Maureen, glad you ar ehaving a nicer winter so far (so are we actually but going down to -20 this week, I have a friend here from London who said he was going to stock up on food and water and hibernate with movies this week when it goes down to -20, I kind of laugh, because I run outside until it gets to be -20
just finished another 5K run (santa shuffle) and next one is the resolution run Jan 1, I am going to try and run oitside as long as I can because for some reason I signed up for a 10K the end of Feb, what was I thinking?

not much snow yet, got our first fall last week, it has been a nice fall

Its possible to have an awesome life, but its up to ourselves to do it. RIL, Weekly Drawing Event, Want to host a WDE? Hosts needed starting in Feb 2017. Sign up in the Schedule thread here .
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2016, 05:50 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Thanks for your great ideas Bonnie, especially the fridge magnet one.

Can someone please tell me how to overwrite the link address when I am adding one to a thread. I know its something simple but I cant remember the process.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2016, 07:41 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Funny how different things sell in diff. places - I have a lot of fridge magnets left - and I thought they'd be popular!
One can but try!

Mike, sorry life it treating you so badly but hope it stabilises for you at least!
The renos should help a lot. We made out bathroom into shower room for DH earlier this year so he can shower more easily without my help - but then, the disease they thought he had , he doesn't have and he improved tremendously after being taken of some medication!
I just wish the same could have happened for you!

Have you thought of trying a voice activated thingy for the computer?

Here Christine! Linking - it's really easy after you've done it a couple of times!
If you lose the link, it's a thread in the sub forum, top of the forum page.

**My SAA website**

Last edited by Charlie's Mum : 12-07-2016 at 07:43 AM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2016, 04:55 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Thanks Maureen, I knew it was somewhere but I could not find it.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2016, 10:31 AM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Mum
We made out bathroom into shower room for DH earlier this year so he can shower more easily without my help - but then, the disease they thought he had , he doesn't have and he improved tremendously after being taken of some medication!

Wow that's great news (improving tremendously after stopping some medication)
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2016, 11:45 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Yes Eeps - amazing how something that was doing good can suddenly turn against the host and cause so much damage to muscles - and emotions!

**My SAA website**
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2016, 04:11 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

I am glad your husband is on the mend Maureen, my brother in law has just been through something similar and ended up with kidney failure and was put on dialysis and spent a couple of days in intensive care. He is much better now they have changed his medication but things were very serious for a while.

I have been experimenting with making paper to do some cards and have discovered I need to size the paper if I want to paint on it. I do not want to go to any great trouble or expense and have read that simply adding some glue to the slurry will work as a stabiliser. Does anyone know know anything about this?
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2016, 07:50 PM
A Local Legend
Calgary, AB

Hails from Canada

hey all! great work again this weekend ... woohoo!

thanks for all your good wishes..means a lot!

Bonnie... how do you get away with only a little snow? and you are right next door! i cant imagine running in the cold! well, cant imagine running at all anymore

Maureen.. good idea with the voice activated 'thingy'. my laptop has windows 10 with that Cortana voice thingy, but i have been too lazy to figure it out so far that is great that hubby has had a dramatic turnaround ... yay!

Christine... you will have to be careful putting glue in. too much and you will have bullet proof paper! i have no experience with this, but gesso might be another alternative to try. or maybe just apply a really thin coat on the finished paper. i think i have seen clear gesso if you don't want to mess with the paper's natural color. just food for thought

well, renovations are underway. they are going to try to finish before Christmas but that depends on the weather partly. the new door installation is scheduled tentatively for next monday. it is supposed to be warmer next week. better weather to put a hole in the side of the house!

not so lucky with the wheelchair. still on backorder so looks like after christmas now. blah

Said Hamlet to Ophelia, I'll draw a sketch of thee;
What kind of pencil shall I use? 2B or not 2B?
Spike Milligan