WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2017, 06:53 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States
Re: What kind of paper should I start with?

I agree to try several. I started out with Mi Tientes because I had it on hand, switched to stonehenge on advice I got here, went back to Mi Tientes, which is the only paper I will ever use.

It depends on whether you're a "tons of light layers" artist or a heavier, thicker layer advocate, which I am. I hate stonehenge because it requires so many layers.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2017, 11:17 AM

Hails from European Union

I must first find out what I am :-).
I think I'm in between.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2017, 01:58 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

I am not familiar with the books you are ordering (I don't usually buy art books, only borrow them from my local Library) but they sound like a good start. My only concern is that they may reference Prismacolor Pencils instead of Faber Castel Polychromos, so you will have to wing it when it comes to actual color choice/selection.

I don't recommend that you try to purchase Prismacolor pencils, they used to be the go to pencils for colored pencil artists, but their quality isn't what it was and many colored pencil artists are switching to Polychromos or Caran d'Ache.

That said techniques stay the same no matter the mfg of the pencils so enjoy the eye candy.

Your English is far superior to my German , so don't worry about it.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2017, 11:35 AM

I also think that it is the same with the techniques, only Prismacolors are slightly softer than Polycromos. Are there softer than the Derwent Colorsoft?
I did not have one of those pencils in my hand yet and can not imagine the softness. Today I bought a set of 12 colosofts in the local artist's shop to see how high-quality color pencils are so.
They also had Polycromos there, but the Colorsoft were reduced to 12 € ;-).
I bought the books cheaply at amazon used, unused they cost me too much money.
Too bad, that the Art Stixs do not have all the colors, then the problem would have done with the bad wooden coverings.
I will enjoy the sweets that will show up ;-).
The google translator helps me a lot with words i dont know.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2017, 12:46 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

I have never really used Prismacolors, except for the white, but from what I have read the Colorsoft are a bit softer than the Prismacolors. I prefer Derwent's other lines, Artists or Studio but they are a harder pencil, and tend to be used by Artists who do Botanical Illustrations because the pencils hold a point well so are good for adding details.

Because the Colorsoft are so soft you want to use them with a very light hand or you will fill up the tooth of the paper too quickly. Otherwise have fun with your new supplies.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2017, 05:19 PM

I will try it out when I have time, today I unfortunately did not get to it.
Laying up the picture layer by layer, I always do so.
What the difference between Artists and Studio? I dont know Derwent have other waterproof colored Pencils.
Hm, it is totally different with colored pencils to draw than with watercolor paint, although I work with both with transparent and semi-transparent layers.
My first attempt looks like a children's drawing :-(. If I had painted with watercolor it would look much better.
I am also a bit gross motor.
Well I should first learn to draw.
You can correct my written English if you like. I like constructive criticism.

Last edited by Macarona : 04-06-2017 at 05:22 PM.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2017, 05:58 PM
Enthusiast
A 38 sq.meter apartment in Hyvinkää

Hails from Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarona
What the difference between Artists and Studio? I dont know Derwent have other waterproof colored Pencils.
Artists are round and have a slightly thicker lead than hexagonal Studios. Artists also come in 120 colours while the Studio range gives "only" 72 colours (the same 72 as in D Watercolour pencils but totally different than D Coloursoft and D Inktense). Both may feel hard if you're used to eg. D Coloursoft or Lyra Rembrandt Polycolor.

Heikki
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2017, 09:47 AM

So depending on whether soft or hard are needed :-).
I also have water-soluble colored pencils but for my color pencils work I would not take them.
The temptation would be too big to paint with watercolor pencils so it looks better .
Then it would look like a watercolor, but this is not my goal.

Last edited by Macarona : 04-07-2017 at 09:50 AM.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2017, 12:38 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Heikki has given you the correct information, the 2 lines are basically the same except one has more colors. I like them, but again that is a personal preference.

Some combine the water soluble pencils with the wax/oil based pencils, I don't personally but some do. I am more inclined your way either I do all regular colored pencil or I work with the watercolor, though I am willing to add inktense to the watercolor pencils. Inktense are fun, the colors are very brilliant when water activated, but they are also not so good with light, many tend to fade when exposed to light/sun. And they are ink (dye) not watercolor, so they won't lift after they have dried the way most/some watercolors do.

One last comment graphite and colored pencil don't mix well, the graphite will smear and muddy your colors. So if you must outline your subject first use a light hand with the graphite, some even erase the graphite as they go along with their drawings so that they don't actually try to cover graphite with colored pencil. The books you have coming will have some suggestions as to how to do that.

As a final comment, don't try to apply too much color with your first layers, color depth will come as you add layers, don't rush, colored pencil takes time.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2017, 02:35 PM
Lord of the Arts
North Yorkshire

Hails from United Kingdom

Guten abend Marcorona, welcom to the Forum. I use good quality mountboard (used in framing pictures) from Daley Rowney which seems to take the pencil well and I haven't so far had any issues with fading. It could be a cheaper alternative for you to start with it seems to be able to take a lot of punishment but isn't very good for use with a water based material as it can warp. Can't wait to see your drawings.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2017, 07:08 PM

guten Abend oder Nachmittag/Good evening or good afternoon, depending on where you are ;-).
I will use a 2h graphite pencil for outlines.
Interesting idea to underpaint the drawing with the watercolor pencils.
This is a good idea with the mountboard, I look at times whether I still have which here.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2019, 08:50 AM

Faber is good. But if you are on budget then you should try Arteza. It is low in cost and better in quality. It has a warm white color which does not make your eyes bored while coloring. It’s each page is heavyweight, weighing 80 lb, 130 g, and it’s size is 9×12.
Strathmore, Bellofy watercolor paper, Faber-Castell paper, and Legion Stonehenge pad are some more suggestions.

To read more about each product in detail check this : https://allpaperworld.com/5-best-pap...lored-pencils/

Thanks
Arman
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2019, 11:25 AM
Immortalized
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Beginner wanting to use some solvent... prime cardboard boxes with Liquitex Clear or White Gesso. Specifically that brands of gesso because bottles of it can be acquired at local art/hobby craft stores for low cost with a coupon, and it has more tooth and absorbency than other brands I have tried. Then every kind of paper or board you would normally throw in the trash can become a practice sheet for colored pencil. The Liquitex Clear Gesso specifically provides much more tooth to grab colored pencil when pulled across it. I have put some of sheets in my sketchbook to use with colored pencil because the sheets in it were not as toothy as I liked. The White gesso is a bit less toothy, but it still has more than enough to achieve a nice surface and either works well with solvents as well.

I prefer working on a rigid surface personally, and making such surfaces inexpensively out of hardboard sheets bought at the home improvement store, cut to size, primed with Gesso, has worked wonderfully for colored pencil work for me. This is especially true when using solvents, where the surfaces do not end up weakening the surface at all, and the gesso does a great job of keeping my work looking vibrant. I always suggest those interested in making some art with colored pencils give this kind of surface a try, it is often cheaper than sheets of paper and once finished and sprayed with fixative you can then frame it without needing to be behind glass. One can achieve works that look like pretty much any other media by using such techniques, which is very attractive to collectors I have found.

Some people like more or less tooth to their surface, but regardless of what you like, any such surface needs to be able to take pencil and probably several layers of it. Give some of these inexpensive solutions a try and see if they work for you.

Delofasht
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2019, 08:34 AM
A Local Legend
The Free State, Maryland, East Coast

Hails from United States

I started with Strathmore papers
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2019, 09:58 AM
A Local Legend
The Free State, Maryland, East Coast

Hails from United States

I would also recommend a paper with some tooth, even though I don't use those now. BECAUSE.... if you want to throw a background in something, starting out with color pencil, and you are faced with a large area of space, which is tough in colored pencil... if you use a paper with some tooth, then you could use thinner to handle the large area of space. OR you could use a colored paper, or tinted paper so that you could have some color behind your subject, already there. (Canson Mi-Tientes art paper for example.) Or you could hopefully find pics that don't have large areas of spaces to cover.

For example thinner was used to create this background on the large area of blank space behind the eagle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr84Yg7j3wU

Last edited by KarenESP : 11-07-2019 at 10:02 AM.