Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    talinka

Hello all,
        Just a bouquet that was sitting on my mother in law’s living room’s table. I did it on a canvas board with neocolor II as a first layer. It was a very good technique to use on canvas, especially for those who tend to get quite thick layers of oil pastel. Measures 20×25.5 cm.
        I’m not sure about the vase, I did my very best to create an illusion of depth, not sure I was completely successful.
        Anyway, c&c is welcome as always.

Tali

talinka

This is what it looked like after finishing the neocolor 2 layer:

Tali

terriks

It’s so pretty, love your vase, Tali! The colors of the table and wall are perfect complements, and look great.

If I may make a suggestion, I’d lower your horizon line between the table and wall, so it’s not running right across the top of the vase.

Love the texture from that canvas. Sounds like it didn’t eat up your OP’s, which has always given me pause when I think about having a play with canvas.

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Lovely Tali. It’s great to draw from life. And difficult! The vase is good. I like the pink hues.
                A few suggestions
                Check the level of background, in this case the table, with a ruler
                Look at a grey scale version of the painting and adjust where needed – look at the leaves coing out of the vase in contrast to the one’s nearest to the light
                Decide on your focal point and then paint that flower with extra detailing – that will help with the depth
                Here is your grey scale version

Christel

talinka

Hi Terri & Christel,
                    Thanks for the comments and the suggestions.
                    Christel- to be quite honest, I didn’t pait from life since I didn’t have my stuff there. I did a few sketches in colored pencils and then took a photo for reference.

Tali

SarahY

Good work, well done! As noted above, a little more difference in values would really make it.

http://www.shyeomans.co.uk
                        \m/ neue deutsche härte \m/
                        Nothing left but smoke and cellar, and a woman with a black umbrella...

Rich A

Nice work Tali! I like both versions you show here, but I feel your first is best.
                            I think the textures and contrasts in that first are good

E-J

This is very nice, Tali.

Since you mentioned depth, I would suggest some darker green in among the stems, where they would be in shadow. But perhaps, after all, that’s not what this lovely cheerful picture is about.

talinka

Thanks E-J and Rich,
                                    I agree that more contrast is needed, both with adding dark greens and adding contrast to the BG as mentioned before. Perhaps I’ll get to that one day, right now I think I might start other, more interesting things :evil:
                                    I did this drawing more as an exercise to try OPs on top of neocolor II on canvas and my conclusion is that it works fabulously and helps save both the OP sticks and the texture of the canvas. So all in all I’m happy.
                                    Thanks for the comments.

Tali

Pthalo White

Thanks E-J and Rich,
                                        I agree that more contrast is needed, both with adding dark greens and adding contrast to the BG as mentioned before. Perhaps I’ll get to that one day, right now I think I might start other, more interesting things :evil:
                                        I did this drawing more as an exercise to try OPs on top of neocolor II on canvas and my conclusion is that it works fabulously and helps save both the OP sticks and the texture of the canvas. So all in all I’m happy.
                                        Thanks for the comments.

It’s completely up to the artist’s choice how they want to push the painting or not.

Imho, I love the charm of the first beginnings. Not every painting has to be realistic, with the boxes checked (values, light, composition, etc.) If you like it, than leave it.

It’s got a very nice charm that I’d love to look at on my wall, anyway.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.