Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking Special case blockrelief printing advice.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    BrianGilbert

Should probably have hinted the key point in the advice.

I’m a lifelong artist who’s focused primarily in digital art starting….waaay…..back…before it became common. My early adoption to that medium was primarily due to my physical disability. I have great dexterity but limited strength and reach. Lately I’m re-exploring more tangible mediums of all types and currently interested in printmaking (as an art form)

Having a ‘goldilocks moment’ with relief printing block materials. Can’t seem to post links yet but I’ve named the products exactly as on the site.

Blick Battleship Gray Linoleum – I can barely gouge into this at all.

Blick Readycut – Somewhat doable but requires quite a bit of effort.

Speedball Speedy-Cut Carving Blocks – I can work this very easily…it’s almost TOO soft though and seems to crumble…or I’m just inexperienced.

Any suggestion on a possible ‘just right’ block martial? Buying art supplies, for me, can become very expensive due to the trial & error nature of physically being ale to use some material.

I know that due to the small size I tend to work at (5 x 7 lately for tests), I’m often pushing the limits of some material but I don’t think it’s beyond many master prints I’ve seen….granted I KNOW I’m far far far from ‘master’. I can use the hand tools well so long as the block is the right density.

Note that I’m also exploring etching as well but will address those questions in a separate post.

Thanks in advance for any input anyone may have.

Brian Gilbert
        Darklight Studio, Inc.
        http://www.darklightstudio.com

Diane Cutter

Hi, Brian… I know how experimenting can cha-ching the cash register.

I’m thinking that you might have some old linoleum. It does get stiffer with age (kind of like me). If you have a warming tray (like they used to have at buffets) you can set it on that for a few minutes and it will make the lino much easier to cut. I’ve even stuck it in the microwave for 10 seconds though I’m sure others will say that’s probably not a great idea. In winter you can set it on a radiator; in summer sometimes just leaving it out in the sun is enough.

I’ve never used the readycut so can’t comment there.

The speedy cut takes a little practice because, as you found out, it does crumble a bit… plus it’s easy to cut too deep without wanting to. You also have to take care when you store the finished blocks if you plan to use them again later. They are pretty flexible and, when cut into over the entire surface, can break up easily.

I don’t know what kind of knives you are using but my guess is they may be a little dull. The Speedball blades can be replaced with newer ones but they can also be sharpened. Take a really fine grade of sand paper, lay it on a flat surface, and, with the blade in the Speedball holder, just draw the blade toward you. Keep it at an angle… basically going in the opposite direction and in the same position you would cut in.

Most relief printmakers are always honing their knives as they work.

Also, try cutting with an exacto blade, one of my favorites for both lino and woodcuts. It works very well just cutting at an angle rather than straight down. I often cut the lines with the exacto first and then go back and clear out the rest with a wide U-gouge.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Hi Brian! Welcome to the printmakers group!

I carve a LOT of blocks nowadays, and understand your problem exactly. My dominant hand was badly injured some years ago, and I struggled to learn / relearn how to carve blocks. Here is what I discovered in my efforts.

1. First, and most important: use good carving tools. No offense to Speedball, but if you are using their tools you should stop. Yes, they will work ok if you are a student who only wants to carve a single block for a school project, but for someone who has limited strength in their hands they are not ideal.

I use a combination of small Pfeil carving chisels and gouges, and Japanese carving tools from McClains. Flexi-cut also makes a nice set of tools. The exact style and type you choose is a matter of personal preference. Get what feels right in your hand. You don’t need a lot of them…. just a small v-gouge (called a lining or veining tool by some folks) a few U gouges, and maybe a good knife.

2. keep the tools VERY sharp. get a good set of little stones made for carving tools, (called “slips”) and learn how to use them. With sharp tools you can carve all sorts of things, even old hard lino, hardwood, and so forth….. AND you can carve the crumbly stuff like Readi-Cut. Sharpness is EVERYTHING. Cut for 30 minutes, then sharpen your tools. Cut another 30 mins… then sharpen again. That’s the idea.

3. Make shallow cuts. Since you don’t have a lot of strength, don’t fight the blocks. Instead, just cut little slivers, and then go back and carve it deeper if needed. You will find that by making shallow cuts, your strength requirements are much lower, your ability to carry details will go up dramatically, and life will be better.

4. About materials: if you follow the above advise, you can carve a lot of materials…. including hardwoods. Even old, cold linoleum will not be a problem. Personally, I use a lot prepared Speedball linoleum blocks simply because they are convenient. I also use a lot of Aspen wood, and similar materials. While it seems like they would be harder to carve, it reality they are not…. as long as you keep your tools sharp.

Remember, in relief printing harder is better as long as you can cut it. Softer materials do work for simple designs or rubber stamps…. but for detailed work, or blocks that are intended to print several dozen prints, linoleum is the softest material you want to use.

So… there you have it: Winking Cat’s experience with relief block carving. Maybe it will help. Good luck…. AND let us know how things go.

Dave

"Political Correctness" is just another way to muzzle free expression

Aspsusa

Here’s a stupid question:

Could you use non-art material stuff for making “lino cuts”?

I’m thinking of stuff like scraps of plastic flooring, sheets of whatever building materials, soft solid birch or fir panels…
                How about really stiff plasticine or other non-drying modelling pastes?
                Rubber?
                Silicone oven-mitts or cake pans?

(Even if I am far too clutzy to have any hope of even producing a print of any kind, thinking of this sort of makes me want to hunt up a sharp chisel and experiment with various household objects… )

BrianGilbert

First, thanks everyone for the feedback.

I’ve heard about heating the linoleum and will try that again. Looking into a decent hot plate that should be useful for a few things. A heating pad is said to also work and will try that too.

Secondly, yes I’d assumed the Speedball tools were cheap to begin with but didn’t want to spend a ton on a completely new endeavor. After a few other endeavors involving cutting, sharpness makes a HUGE difference. I have plenty of ways to sharpen the tools I have just to check. If that makes any noticeable difference, I’ll invest in better tools.

Essentially I’m in that common stage (for me) discerning whether it’s a physical issue or my inexperience with the medium. Going through the same with a few other mediums.:D

Brian Gilbert
                    Darklight Studio, Inc.

bridog

good advice from other members. I’ll just pipe in briefly. Have you considered phoning Blick Art Materials 1-800-828-4548 and asking their product dept to send you some small samples of various block print surfaces? I tried one a few years ago made by Innovart that Blick retails called Eco-carve. Found it wasn’t as crumbly as Speedy Cut by Speedball. Have to agree that good sharp tools also will make all the difference. Speedball blades are ok but I quickly learned there were better cutting tools on the market and invested in such when I had a bit more money. I purchased a set of 5 with wood handles and these have been fantastic.
                        http://www.dickblick.com/products/palm-grip-carvers/
                        I still use my Speedball #1 blade though for fine lines but have several extra blades to replace the dull ones.

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work. Emile Zola

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
                        visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart

BrianGilbert

Thought I’d post my most recent test. I purchased 2 more types of materials. This Speedbal Speedy Carve[/URL] was MUCH easier to work with.

For tests like this, I prefer some free flow abstract design so I spend more time determining whether I can use the material and learning technique.

This is the first proof inking. While it’s by no means great, it’s not too bad aside from the obvious areas that need some tweaks or lowered here and there. Now I know it’s merely a matter of learning through experience.

I do agree now that I REALLY need better tools. Sharpening the ones I have doesn’t seem to work all that well.

Also, I hadn’t considered inquiring with Blick directly about samples as I assumed that just wouldn’t be something they’d do, but now I’ll inquire.

Brian Gilbert
                            Darklight Studio, Inc.

Diane Cutter

Looks like an intriguing design… Post your proof prints and let us know how things go.

johnking

I am a novice at this, so take my comments accordingly… and feel free to set me straight if I’m wrong.

I am using some grey lino I got at a flooring store and it seemed hard to cut but I find that sanding the surface makes it much easier to cut. The stuff I have seems to have some kind of rough hard surface coating on it. I use a hand sanding block and 320 grit sandpaper. I will experiment with going through finer grades as well.

I have read that rubbing some linseed oil on the block and then gently warming it will allow the lino to absorb the oil and will improve cutting ability. I haven’t tried this yet, but I will.

I’m experimenting with whitening the lino to make it easier to see small uncut areas. What I have just tried is diluting white acrylic paint primer by 50% with water and painting a very thin coating on the lino. I like the way that pencil lines and cuts stand out against the white and the surface is erasable. I haven’t tried printing from this plate, so I don’t know if there are any challenges in store when using oil based ink.

John

Dean710

John –
                                        I believe it was Diane that posted about the heating of lino. She is absolutely right. The reason that this works is that linoleum is essentially a linseed oil and ground cork mixture. The version that most art suppliers sell is specifically made for relief printing, rather than what you may find in a flooring store. The oil will begin to “skin” after a while, much the same way it does in an oil based ink. Heating it will temporarily rejuvenate the linseed oil, and make the lino more pliable. Be prepared to begin working it soon after it comes off of the heat, for best results.

Dean

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.