WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Alternative Materials, and Other Media > Project Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2010, 09:01 AM

Stone Age Art Movement

I'm really stuck on this. I run a 25 kid strong Home Ed art group - we use all media except oil (kids are just too small under 9) so not limited only by imagination.

Background to the group was for nearly 2 years we've run sessions once a month concentrating on an artist or piece using as many different media we can with the above exception.

This is the start of the new season and I'm up on Jan 6th so I have to pull this together in one week (I've been busy in the background with the other stuff rather than slacking ). It will be the first session since November so I wanted a simple and straight forward session to ease them in gently as their concentration won't be the greatest as many HE activities will not start until the following week.

For the first year they did a lot more of the copying type of work where they were shown a piece and they had to recreate their own based on the style of the artist or piece, the second year I tried to steer them more towards using the examples as just that and to be more independent with the work - this has some success but I believe they needed to be slightly challenged as they were getting though the projects faster and faster as they became more confident. Through this we used artists based on geographical location and spent 3 months (3 sessions) in each area using a different artist each time.

This next year or so, I wanted them to now concentrate their studies in order and historical sequence and take the art to the next level by following a more structured route through the art history time line....so the first one is Stone Age / Megaliths etc. I can't get my head around what to do for this.

Seeing someone else's thread gave me an idea of pebbles on canvas....as an option but I would like some other ideas as using resins/silicon glues with this age group makes me nervous.

We have used clay quite a bit and I would like to avoid using clay again even as part of a mixed media piece but would not be adverse to hearing ideas.

All ideas thick and fast will be greatly received.

Many thanks in anticipation

Dawn
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2011, 06:33 PM
Washington, Dc

Hails from United States
Re: Stone Age Art Movement

Hi Dawn,

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Hmm, stone age art eh? Seems like it could be interesting to explore using the materials available to primitive peoples. I suppose that would be smoke/soot, charcoal, clays, berry stains, blood, leaves, branches, shells, horn, skins, feathers, etc. Pottery seems like it would be an reasonable thing to do, carving wood for sculptures, dying cloth, cave paintings eh?

Just some thots. This thread would probably get more responses if it was in the teachers section or the Cafe Guebois section. Maybe a mod could move it for you if you wanted them to.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2011, 06:52 PM

Thanks for this Paul - humm new to the boards and thought this would be a good place to post - but definitely will try out your suggestions.

Dawn
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Washington, Dc

Hails from United States

New boards take a while to get used to! Especially big 'uns like this. There is an exclamation point in a triangle button on the right top side of each post. If you click that exclamation point you can report the post to the mods and ask them to move it to a more appropriate section. The mods love putting things in the right place. Kind of a hobby of theirs. This section is for projects that people sign up to participate in. Which might be an idea for your kids actually. Maybe they could sign up for a class project and post their pics on Wetcanvas in the project section. People post progress pics of their work as it is progressing and finished works and also discuss them in the project thread. Seems like something kids might like, getting to post their art on a world wide art forum and discussing it with artists from around the world. There is some nudity on the site at times though so that might be an issue. Or not. People usually discuss the things they are experimenting with in their art projects and tools etc they are using. Some examples below: Encaustics project: http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...s&proj_id=1265 Encaustics project thread discussion: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602458

Last edited by PaulsArt : 01-14-2011 at 11:19 PM.