WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture > Portraiture Forum Library Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2011, 07:25 PM
A Local Legend
Argentina

Hails from Argentina
Re: Portrait Challenge -- May + June 2011

Hi, Lauren. Great refs!. And beautiful works everybody!

here it is my attempt at França. I have found that is always helpful to post the not finished work in order to get advices and comments.

C&C always wellcomed

Luicre
Attached Images

#47   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2011, 01:16 PM
La Crosse, Wi, USA

Hails from United States

i wasn't going to post this attempt of mine in this month's challenge for a number of lame reasons, but i was encouraged to do so by peter's "tip toe" intpo the challenge. i figured us watercolor painters have to support each other in this (it seems) mostly oil painter's forum (apologies to those who paint in gouache and pastels). there also were a lot of things wrong with this that were, i think, mostly problems with the drawing, the most noticeable of which is her *right* arm which is too long and has odd "bump" in the forearm. it guess i mean to say that it is a better watercolor painting than a portrait. so here it is and i would appreciate any c+c. thanks for the challenge. i enjoyed it and learned a bit in the process, too. 16"X20" watercolor on 140#fabriano artistico cold press paper.

Last edited by wittesend : 05-25-2011 at 01:18 PM.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2011, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Nr Bath, United Kingdom

Hails from United Kingdom

I like that a lot. Maybe the nose is slightly too red but otherwise excellent. I know mine has faults. Like your blog also.

Peter

"The Watercolour Log"
www.watercolourfanatic.blogspot.com/

Last edited by watercolourfanatic : 05-25-2011 at 03:36 PM.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2011, 04:26 PM
La Crosse, Wi, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by watercolourfanatic
I like that a lot. Maybe the nose is slightly too red but otherwise excellent. I know mine has faults. Like your blog also.

Peter
thanks for your comments, peter. i agree with you about the nose. i tried to lighten it a bit by lifting but then became worried i would lose the shape which i think is okay. thanks also for visiting my blog. yours has a lot of great info on it and i learn something almost every time i visit.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2011, 05:06 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Lu ~ I like what you have going here nice building up of tones , if I could add I do think maybe you could define the hair more atm its kinda blending in to much to her face , so theres not really a defining happening there , does that make sense ?

Wittesend , love the wc , you did great with the face and the arm I guess dont know can you fix wc , pretty much once its down its stuck isnt it? ...and you can post in any medium no worries ..

Im attemping Roopa its driving me insane in the brain
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin art

Watch out for purple lips! ;-)
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2011, 08:10 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV
Watch out for purple lips! ;-)

Arh yes Thanks Elaine , I didnt attemp her in colour but I really would love too I wonder if Id make better of it in colour as I think this is such a hash of her in pencil but Im mostly working in that of late .... So heres the Deal I pushed myself here , of course could push her even more and can totally see that, but I picked this pose as Im a leftie and I find I tend to resent doing this type of pose in my drawing favoring the left side as it feels so natural ... but for the sheer fact I did helps I think to make me realize how easy it is to get into a rutt of drawing a certain way and what always feels as right isnt necessarily the best for our drawing skills to improve -- hence me thrown this Sad excuess for a portrait down your necks .....

#53   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2011, 08:51 PM

I decided to try my hand at this month's challenge. I liked the reference images of Franca as they reminded me of a character description in a book I'm reading. It's a bit off in a few places (I think the eyes are a bit low and wide set, and the hand is wonky). But I'm fairly pleased with it as a character study.

Everyone here has such wonderful work!

5"x8" Black pencil on watercolour paper (I think it's cold press, whatever is in the watercolour moleskine), maybe 2 hours?

Edited to add: Constructive criticism is welcome!

Last edited by venetian_red : 05-25-2011 at 08:54 PM.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2011, 11:49 PM
A Local Legend
Argentina

Hails from Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin art
Lu ~ I like what you have going here nice building up of tones , if I could add I do think maybe you could define the hair more atm its kinda blending in to much to her face , so theres not really a defining happening there , does that make sense ?

Wittesend , love the wc , you did great with the face and the arm I guess dont know can you fix wc , pretty much once its down its stuck isnt it? ...and you can post in any medium no worries ..

Yes, Sandra you are absolutelly right. I surelly have to revisit Franca`s drawing. What I liked a lot about that ref where the angled lines, so harmonics.

Great works everybody!!!
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2011, 12:10 PM
A Local Legend
Gretton

Hails from United Kingdom

wittesend: beautiful glowing colours in your portrait. I'm very glad you did post it!
Sarah: An intense portrait. Very arresting.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2011, 06:01 PM
WC! Guide
Ontario

Hails from Canada

It's wonderful to see everyone jumping in here with their portraits! The models would be thrilled!

Here is one I did of Franca in pastel in my sketchbook when she posed for our class.

I think her left hand looks too small, but when I measured, that was how it was. Still not happy with it....
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2011, 10:23 PM
Immortalized
West of Toronto in God's country

Hails from Canada

Lauren hope you dont mind but I think her left hand is off slightly I opened both photos in paintshop pro and cut out her hand and inserted it in your new one and you will see it is off slightly. I apologise in advance if you are offended at me doing that but I thought it might help .
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2011, 10:26 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

I think all the portraits are great .
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2011, 10:47 PM
WC! Guide
Ontario

Hails from Canada

Thanks, Les!
I need to learn how to do that kind of thing... Is it with PhotoShop?

Actually, I had 2 sessions with Franca, and took a lot of photos of her in that pose, and this drawing was done from life. So, I'm not surprised it doesn't line up with the ref from that angle I included here, which could have been taken on a different day.

I take a lot of photos of the model because each time the model takes a break or stretches, something changes a wee bit, so if I have a lot of references on file, I can check things and change things... and many come out blurry because I just hand-hold my little digital camera when I take a photo and use natural light, no flash... Besides, it's so easy with a digital camera to shoot and check and if it's no good, just delete. Not like in the "old" days of film...
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2011, 09:05 AM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

Lauren I use Paintshop Pro x2 well worth the money you can do what they call free hand selection then I chose smart edge and traced around what I wanted cut out I resized it to fit the other photo as near as possible and that is what I got . pretty neat what you can do .
Les