WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture > Portraiture Forum Library Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2011, 06:21 PM
California

Hails from United States
Re: Portrait Challenge for January 2011!

Hi Kevin and all,
Thanks for the great challenge this month. I appreciate the opportunity to improve my drawing skills. Here's the exercises I've done so far.

Nancy
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Ottawa

Hails from Canada

What a great challenge, Kevin! Thanks for putting this together.

I started working on this in my sketchbook tonight, but have a question . . . . is there anything in that book about finding the approximate placement of the nose using this construction method? For instance, you can use the browline to find top of the ears, but then do you use the bottom of the ears (or something else) to find approximate location of the nose?

The reason I ask is that in the first few drawings, where the ball is tilted backwards, it seemed like when you draw "through" to show the browline where it passes around the back of the ball, the point where that line intersects with the midline of the face is roughly the placement of the nose. But then as I drew the ball tilting in different angles, that didn't seem to hold true. Does the Loomis book provide any guidance on this?

I tried a very quick head study tonight using this method and was surprised at how quickly it came together.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Check out my website at: http://www.jenniferfoster.ca
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2011, 12:16 AM
California

Hails from United States

Jennifer,
I struggled with that same thing-- where to place the features, particularly the nose and mouth, in relationship to the ball.

Looking forward to seeing your drawings!

Nancy
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2011, 12:56 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Seattle

Hails from Italy

ok, I will play too. All I can say is, very interesting. These were fun exercises.

#20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Seattle

Hails from Italy

then this morning I woke up and drew "the fortune teller" a self portrait, 20 minutes..
Attached Images

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2011, 01:26 PM
A Local Legend
Gretton

Hails from United Kingdom

This is a good idea, but I may have been watching too many Pixar productions over the holiday. I'll have to get that out of my system before getting to work.
Sketched on the Wacom in Painter 11.

Heads

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2011, 04:34 PM
The Left Coast

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennf
What a great challenge, Kevin! Thanks for putting this together.

I started working on this in my sketchbook tonight, but have a question . . . . is there anything in that book about finding the approximate placement of the nose using this construction method? For instance, you can use the browline to find top of the ears, but then do you use the bottom of the ears (or something else) to find approximate location of the nose?

The reason I ask is that in the first few drawings, where the ball is tilted backwards, it seemed like when you draw "through" to show the browline where it passes around the back of the ball, the point where that line intersects with the midline of the face is roughly the placement of the nose. But then as I drew the ball tilting in different angles, that didn't seem to hold true. Does the Loomis book provide any guidance on this?

I tried a very quick head study tonight using this method and was surprised at how quickly it came together.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Here from the horses mouth ( Andrew Loomis) and some thoughts at the bottom by yours truly!

“The most important point in the head from which to build the construction of the face is the point immediately above the bridge of the nose, between the brows. This point remains always fixed and is indicated by the vertical line of the nose and the cross-line of the brows. On the ball this is the junction of the “equator” and “the prime meridian,” the two lines that cut the ball in half vertically and horizontally. All measurements spring from this point. About halfway up from this point to the top center of the head we get the hairline, and have therefore spaced off the forehead. Dropping down and equal distance below the cross-point, we get the length of the nose, since the distance from the tip fo the nose to the brows is, on an average, equal to the height of the forehead. Measuring the same distance down, we get the bottom of the chin, for the distance from the bottom of the chin to the base of the nose equals the space from there to the brows, and from that point to the hairline. So it’s one, two , three spaces all equal, down the middle line of the face.

See above how the nostrils map up to the inner edge of each eye ( called the inner, or medial canthus). One quick way to say what Loomis wrote above is “a third, a third, a third” to get you in a generally good location: 1/3 of the way from the top of head to brow-line, 1/3 of head from brow to bottom of nose and 1/3 from bottom of nose to chin.
Learning these basic planes of the head is SO useful to drawing people. IT is a wonderful too when you ever need it, get in trouble..etc.

I hope this answers your q!

Kevin
"kevinwueste" on instagram
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2011, 05:30 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Kevin, that's a great rule -- a third, a third and a third. Are there any relationship measurements to rein in the mouth? I always finding myself "guessing" where the upper and lower lips sit, since it's the most mobile facial feature we have.

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Europe

Hails from New Zealand

Nancy - kevin may have better advice but as a general rule the mouth opening is on a line halfway between the chin and the join of the jaw behind the earlobe, the base of the eye socket is (generally) on the same level as this point. As a rule the upper lip protrudes beyond the lower as more muscles pass under the nose.

I tend to work on a four way division of the face but I can see where the rule of three and looking at planes is a very effective strategy.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Arizona

Hails from United States
Drawing #1 ("Cast of Unknown Man")

Hi All,

Much of the wonderful feedback on my last posting in the main forum was about drawing. So since Kevin started this thread, I thought I should go where angels fear to thread and give my Loomis-based drawing a try.

Vic
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2011, 09:45 PM
The Left Coast

Hails from United States

Harry123 - awesome! Mimi - great to see this work! Nancy S. - yes!!!

Vic - that's great to see! keep on looking for those big shapes - cool to see you employing the Loomis head! Nancy - I'm glad I have a tool ( idea) you can use!! Clive's way is probably as good as mine ( since these are all just beginning estimates) - I use another set of thirds - 1/3 - 2/3; 1/3 from the approx bottom of nose ( just above the bottom of philtrum) to middle of mouth, 2/3 from their to bottom of chin. There's a good illustration of that in Robert Barrett's "Life Drawing" book!

Ok I did some Loomis heads today - great practice.. from basic snow-cones to a character ( man w/cigar) to a business man, older woman ( I left it a bit unconstructed so you can see how it develops from the cross and snowcone), young woman and baby.. employing all of his ideas is so useful. It's also fun to experiment with how he develops volumes/shading etc., - really cool to practice! One thing I recall when doing these is how much of a designer Andrew Loomis was, the hair is designed, the shapes - like the shadow under a nose - is designed to be just a bit more interesting and beautiful than what we might see. This can help - thinking of ourselves as designers - to begin to make decisions as we draw people - decisions that improve and develop the work.

these were done in carbon/conte noir and general's 2b ( the right tool for the right thing!)...

Kevin
"kevinwueste" on instagram

Last edited by kevinwueste : 01-05-2011 at 10:28 PM.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2011, 12:25 AM
Seattle

Hails from Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwueste
these were done in carbon/conte noir and general's 2b ( the right tool for the right thing!)...

Kevin
ah, maybe my #1 pencil is NOT the right tool?
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2011, 12:35 AM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

I decided a while back to print out the Loomis book, "Figure Drawing for All it's Worth," which starts with heads. The book is out of print, so I waited for enough black toner and paper to print out 204 pages.

For anyone who would like to see and/or print the PDF, here's the link.

#29   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2011, 12:39 AM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123harry
This is a good idea, but I may have been watching too many Pixar productions over the holiday. I'll have to get that out of my system before getting to work.
Sketched on the Wacom in Painter 11.

Heads

Harry, !!

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Seattle

Hails from Italy

I have it (Loomis books) saved on the hard drive of both of my computers.
I am loathe to print it out, but am spending a lot of time reading it.
His stuff on composition is good too.