WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture > Portraiture Forum Library Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2014, 01:28 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Far North Coast NSW Aussieland

Hails from Australia
Re: The 11th Annual WetCanvas Holiday Portrait Swap Pairings and Paintings thread!

Such a beautiful sensitive drawing Deanna, you have a lovely touch
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2014, 04:17 AM
A Local Legend
Gretton

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: The 11th Annual WetCanvas Holiday Portrait Swap Pairings and Paintings thread!

Some nice work posted already, I need to get started!
I see myself emerging from the chaos there, Adam....
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2014, 07:49 AM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales

Finally found some time this morning to make a start.
Lawrence do you know that the final round of the MotoGP championship is being held in Spain this week end?
Qualifying for Moto3 has just started!!
While I start getting materials together, brushes and paint.

Then cleaned up two palettes from the freezer, puting the useable paint on to one.

Quick sketch to place the head.

More as it happens, Marquez is top at the moment with a 1m 39.9s lap, a tenth of a second faster than Miller!!

Dave
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting please.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2014, 08:31 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Wales

The scrub in to establish the tones so I can start seeing the colour temperature.

And the temperature at the Valencia MotoGP is rising, qualifying has just finished so the grid for Sunday's race: front row Antonelli, Miller, Marquez second row Vinales, Rins, Hanika, 3 row Ajo, McPhee, Vazquez 4 row- Guevara, Kent, Kornfeil.
For those who don’t follow MotoGP Marquez leads Miller by 11 points, Marquez will win the title with a podium finish even if Miller wins. So Miller needs to pick up 25 points and hope that he can put 2 riders between himself and his championship rival tomorrow .

Dave.

PS Moto2 qualifying next.
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2014, 09:38 AM
A WC! Legend

these are so good!
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2014, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Indiana

Hails from United States

Deanna, your sketch is really well done. It feels quite contemporary.

Dave, thanks for posting all the prep photos. I'm learning. Why do you put palattes in the freezer?

Kate
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2014, 10:55 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Wales

Hi Kate, keeping the palettes in the freezer retards the oxidation of the oil paint so it remains useable for longer which helps with not wasting paint.

Starting to look for some of the features and adjusting things.

Meanwhile in Spain the senior class has just finished qualifying, Marc Marquez has already won the world championship, (he is the brother of Alex who could also win a world title this weekend,) so the battle and interest is for second place which will go to either Valentino Rossi or Jorge Lorenzo, also if Marquez wins the race that will be an all time record of the number of races won in a season!
Front row Valentino Rossi, Andrea Iannone, Dani Pedrosa.
Second row, Jorge Lorenzo, Marc Marquez, Pol Espargaro.
It’s going to be an interesting race tomorrow, presuming it’s to far away for you to hear the bikes Lawrence .
Dave.
— Allen Ginsberg
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2014, 01:18 PM
A Local Legend
Near Barcelona.

Hails from Canada

Dave, amazing to see your technique and how the face is taking shape.

Mine are just 50 minute alla prima jobs, and I could probably cut that down by 2 minutes by laying down my paint on a palette, like you do. I just take paint from the tube onto the brush and mix (there's very little mixing) on the canvas, unscrewing and screwing on the tops of the tubes each time. Sounds inefficient but it works for me.

Did you ever take part in the Isle of Man TT? (How many young men have killed themselves there so far?)

This is "Journeyman Patriarch." (A touch of Georges Rouault here I think.)

And yep, here's "Biker Dave."

#69   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2014, 01:52 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Wales

Hi Lawrence, It’s good to learn how everyone tackles the painting I’ve never thought of loading the brush direct from the tube, it certainly works well for you, It looks like they will have finished the three world championships before I finish this one!! .

Latest stage

And this afternoons qualifying for Moto2
Front row Esteve Rabat, Johann Zarco, Franco Morbidelli
Second row, Thomas Luthi, Xavier Simeon, Marcel Schrotter.

Dave.
— Allen Ginsberg
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2014, 06:33 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Wales

So this is what I ended up with this evening.

Race results and the next stage tomorrow.

Dave.
— Allen Ginsberg
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2014, 06:41 PM
A Local Legend
Gretton

Hails from United Kingdom

That's looking really good, Dave.
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2014, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Dea that drawing of me is incredibly accurate! I can't wait to see the pastel. Here's Dea in charcoal, done while waiting for the second layer to dry on the oil portrait.

—>Clicky Clicky<— @jr_smithson
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2014, 08:34 PM
A WC! Legend

these are wonderful!

I'm still waiting for the photo to paint from....
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2014, 10:05 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Dave and Lawrence: You guys are fun to watch. I think you are complete opposites when it comes to painting methodology but it is clear you are both having a good time.

Jessica sent me her pictures last night and I just got started. I decided to recycle a board so I shoveled on some purple paint with my palette knife, added some yellow and bits of red, did some scraping, and then drew my image in with yellow ocher and ivory black.

We have decided to do less serious paintings this year...well at least I have! I asked Jessica to dress up like a Monster High doll and she was nice enough to agree--right down to the blue lipstick. I am not sure if I can pull this off but it will be fun to try.

I chose Rochelle Monster doll because I really liked her blue lips and pink and blue hair. Jessica has really large expressive eyes just like the dolls so she is the perfect model for this.

#75   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2014, 10:16 PM
A WC! Legend

fun!