WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture > Portraiture Forum Library Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2013, 02:39 PM
A Local Legend
Near Barcelona.

Hails from Canada
Re: The 10th Annual WetCanvas Holiday Portrait Swap Pairings and Paintings thread!

Good going Karen, you're well on the way.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2013, 02:49 PM
Enthusiast
Ft Worth, TX

Hails from United States
Re: The 10th Annual WetCanvas Holiday Portrait Swap Pairings and Paintings thread!

Beautiful work everyone. I would love to see some of the reference photos, so that we can compare them to the paintings. I know, I'm not participating, but I can't imagine trying to get a portrait done in such a busy month. Congrats on all of your great work.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Cleveland, Ohio

Hails from United States

Great work everyone. I'm already humbled and much to my dismay LucyLove has already captured my likeness in a few strokes. My canvas is toned and sketched but playing catch up. Per an earlier post - any tips on mailing from previous participants?

- John
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnis
Great work everyone. I'm already humbled and much to my dismay LucyLove has already captured my likeness in a few strokes. My canvas is toned and sketched but playing catch up. Per an earlier post - any tips on mailing from previous participants?

Dismay? Hehe... I'll take it. Can I just stop now and hand it over as-is? Just kidding. Doing someone else's portrait is indeed terrifying and exhilirating.

I have applied my underpainting and wetted it all down with some denatured alcohol. I will wager to say it is quite unlike the first post and barely recognizable now. I took pics but I think I will post them along with a little more progress... quite off-putting if you don't have an idea of where it is leading. Hope to sneak some more in after movie night tonight.

-Jess

Shippeecraft.blogspot.com
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2013, 12:52 AM

Stephanie aka BearStar,
Thanks so much for posting my images. I was able to proceed today further and found myself scraping off yet again and moving your eyes about. I've been looking in my mirror and seeing adjustments needed but taking the calipers to figure out where I've gone wrong. Maybe now I can post my own pix, will try tomorrow.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2013, 12:55 PM
A Local Legend
Ĺrhus

Hails from Denmark

This is really fun. I am enjoying seeing the WIPs - so very different styles. LucyLove, your pastels don't have to be forgiving if you are going to continue drawing so well. Almost jealous you have such a portrait - he has real character, I can tell already. Wal-t and BearStar - both of your have some real nice colors going on in the flesh tones.

So far I have only gotten an underpainting done. I was waiting for my yellow ochre imprimatura to dry, but after 4 days I gave up and just put the underpainting on - in raw umber. I plan on doing a green dead layer on the flesh as soon as this is dry. And yes, I am painting two of my swap partner, Ricky Corbett. I have done two self portraits back to back, but I wanted to see what it was like painting the same painting twice, how different they will be. Plus, then I get to keep one myself! And then I can experiment with painting really dark, try to get a real chiaroscuro effect. If it doesn't work, then I have the other one to swap.

http://www.artallison.com/
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by wal_t
Work in progress after 1 weekend, acrylic on linnen .... next weekend more, Walter

love this , well done walt , very cool thread as ever
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Enthusiast
Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Update as I had some time tonight, picture in artifical light, next is the dress that has a lot of color in it (besides the blue shadows) Walter

#54   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2013, 05:47 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United Kingdom

Great start everyone, or finish in Nora's and Lawrence's case. Alison that is an inspired idea to do two portraits and they are both looking good so far. Wal t I really enjoy your style and love the colours you manage to include in the flesh.

I have done some 'getting to know you' very quick sketches of Nancy. I asked for some extra photos to try and help my painting be more than just an attempt of a literal copy of the photo, I'm not sure I have the knowledge to do that but I will have a go. I hope to make a start on the painting at the weekend but life has got crazy busy all of a sudden.

Nancy, dont panic I can see issues with all of these but they really are just exploratory. I will measure carefully for the painting.

My Blog
Facebook

#55   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2013, 06:44 PM
Pembrokeshire, Wales

Hails from Wales

A little 1/2 hr pencil study to get me started, next is a proper little tonal plan, then to painting

http://hrartwork.blogspot.co.uk/
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Cleveland, Ohio

Hails from United States
Trying to keep up... Been busy

Ok - so I've got my basic shapes blocked out... not perfect but good enough to work from. It doesn't do LucyLove justice but I wanted to post my progress. Attempting a basic palette with alizarin crimson, phthalocyanine blue, yellow ochre and both zinc and titanium white. I'm trying to key on her eyes. 8x10 stretched canvas in oil.

- John
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Enthusiast
Woburn, Massachusetts

Hails from United States

OMG, Allison, I love it so far. I'm just in complete awe! It's already a masterpiece in my eyes - THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I finally got a line drawing done, at least one that I'm happy with. It took me about 10 hours to get all my measurements, I started this like 4 times. I'm going to now start bringing Allison to life.

I consider my line drawing the "ugly" stage of my process. My lines are drawn quickly and I map everything out. Once I have everything where I want it and sized to a point I'm happy with, I can now add tone and texture. My next update will be much farther along. I want to focus on Allison's eyes - they are so expressive and beautiful, I just love the light and the beautiful shadows being cast in the reference photo(s) that I'm using.

Allison, I also love the necklace you are wearing, beautiful texture.

More to come real soon!

~Ricky
Attached Images

#58   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2013, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member
Jacksonville, FL

Okay, so the sizes and crops are all over the place but I am severely limited on my uploading capabilities right now. So some of you mentioned it would be a good idea to show the original, and I agree. Anyone feeling cheeky and want to dload, crop, rsize and align for me, I'd be forever grateful. Otherwise, enjoy my limitations! (Photo, crop, resize and uploaded from iPhone)

I think I win the award for ugly phases! I almost didn't want to post it for fear of offending Johnis. I tend to start out really messy and sketchy and refine as I go. I need to find a good pastel pencil to start laying in some details, my cheapie Generals are no match for my creamy Sommeliers. A ways to go, and I lost some of the cheekbones, but hopefully things line up.

Thank you Johnis for your kind words! I am excited to see what you have next for me!

Last edited by Lucylove : 11-11-2013 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Duplicated
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member
Jacksonville, FL

Posting issues.

Last edited by Lucylove : 11-11-2013 at 10:58 PM.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2013, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member
Jacksonville, FL

Re: Trying to keep up... Been busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnis
Ok - so I've got my basic shapes blocked out... not perfect but good enough to work from. It doesn't do LucyLove justice but I wanted to post my progress. Attempting a basic palette with alizarin crimson, phthalocyanine blue, yellow ochre and both zinc and titanium white. I'm trying to key on her eyes. 8x10 stretched canvas in oil.

Oh, and my snaggletooth has been a part of my life as long as I remember. Even my close-mouthed smiles have a little glimmer from it. It wouldn't be authentic without my little pokee-outee otherwise!!