WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture > Portraiture Forum Library Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2013, 11:33 PM
Enthusiast
Woburn, Massachusetts

Hails from United States
Re: The 10th Annual WetCanvas Holiday Portrait Swap Pairings and Paintings thread!

Hi Everyone!

OMG, all of the portraits being posted already look sooo great! I'm working on the line drawing of my portrait of Allison. I'll be posting it soon. This is so inspiring and so much fun.

~Ricky
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2013, 12:33 AM
Enthusiast
Oregon

Hails from United States
Re: The 10th Annual WetCanvas Holiday Portrait Swap Pairings and Paintings thread!

Howdy Folks!
time keeps slipping...
I made contact with my partner boardlady (or rather she with me) and managed to make a start. i got super busy at work right as this started, so i'm losing a little sleep working on this - hope it doesn't have a negative effect on my painting!
actually, it might improve it.

anyway, great work so far, everyone!

nora - you're awesome! such a lovely job
christy - looks great!

i had a decent umber layer last night, didn't take a picture (sorry!) but then i fiddled it to death and ended up wiping it all off
so this evening i looked at it and could still see some of my original lines, went over the ones that looked right and did a little white for highlights...it might be ready for color!

what struck me about the photo was the direct and pleasant gaze. i'm hoping i can capture that

sorry for the novella!

here's the start of diane:
Attached Images

My Blog
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2013, 03:55 AM

Hi Everyone
I did a couple of small sketches before tackling the painting tonight. I then scraped off most of what I started. Maybe I should have left it till tomorrow but couldn't help myself.
This is my second or possible third portrait, I've been doing dog portraits lately but this is a huge challenge.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2013, 09:56 AM
MA - USA

Hails from United States

Thanks Denise (aka DAMax)
for sending me your prelim sketches

thought i'd take the liberty of posting them for you
(i know some people have had difficulty from ipads
when the images have the same name)

after all they are a great start
they seem more "me" then the photos!

~stephanie

~stephanie
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2013, 08:42 PM
Cleveland, Ohio

Hails from United States

BearStar - Looks like two different people to me... Or the same person with many years separating the sketches. The top sketch is very long in the face vs. the bottom. Which is more accurate?

- John
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2013, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member
Jacksonville, FL

My first ever real portrait, of Johnis. Here is my dark value under-painting. It is all I have gotten done in the first hour after work tonight. Once I get the values and skin undertones planted in I will take a brush with denatured alcohol and blend it all down before I take the pastel to it again.

I started with an almost matching General's Pastel pencil to lay in the shapes until I was happy then I took a dark terra cotta and plotted some of the darkest bits. Since I am working in pastel I'm just jumping right in. They can be pretty forgiving as far as misplaced strokes (rub it out or cover it up!) so we shall see how I do!

Mungyo hard sticks got first layers/ blocking in on La Carte Pastel Board 8x6.

Shippeecraft.blogspot.com

Last edited by Lucylove : 11-08-2013 at 10:52 PM.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2013, 12:58 AM
Enthusiast
Mississauga

Hails from Canada

I am doing an acrylic portrait for the Holiday Swap. I just wondering how to ship a pastel painting?
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2013, 02:06 AM

Hi again to everyone. I've spent another session trying to work after dark under my lighting. Its a problem for me.
I decided not to scrape off what I did tonight and see what it looks like tomorrow. Maybe it's not as bad as I think it is but I have my doubts.
I am unable to post images yet so this is why I'm just writing. I have darkened the shadows in my painting tonight but I'm not sure that it kept me from putting too much white in the lights. It's a blast though trying this and I'm having fun despite the struggle.

Johnis the little sketches I did were only to help let me see what I was going to do in paint and hopefully give me an idea of where I might run into trouble. Trouble always seems to be the mouth for me. On dog portraits it's always the nose.
I was pleased that Stephanie thought that I capture her but from what I've been doing in oils I should have tried a few more sketches. Generally the more one does the more accurate you will get. I thought the loose sketch that Stephanie did of me caught my likeness quite well and hers was a very nice loose drawing.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2013, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyQ
dollardays-Love the work in progress pics. It looks really nice.

ryster- Shading looks good, I admire how you can get a likeness with such long strokes.

Here is my update... I am not sure if I am done with it or not... I want to add more stuff, but I don't because I think it looks pretty cool right now. I'll sleep on it, and then probably add more tomorrow.

Hey its me! Love the portrait exchange. Third year and another photo of ME! Wife loves the idea and says if I do this another 10 years we can have a "Glen" room in the house. I told her we could not have guests over because they would all gravitate to that handsome room.

Great Job Christy! Cant wait to finish yours.

Glen
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2013, 03:34 AM

1ST Year

Year 2

Just thought it would be fun to show the last two years.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2013, 05:59 AM
Immortalized

Hails from Germany

Uaaaahhh... so fast everyone

I had my husband take some ref photos from me last week end but they were.... well.... soooo ugly. My partner, Shubert, surely will not want to paint every single wrinkle in my face
During the week when we come home from work it is already dark outside, so it will be this week end until I can send some pics. Shubert, I hope you don't mind!!!
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Enthusiast
Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Work in progress after 1 weekend, acrylic on linnen .... next weekend more, Walter

#43   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2013, 01:56 PM
MA - USA

Hails from United States

my partner Denise (DAMax) has been making progress too
here are her pix that go with her post above
i think she's spot on!

i haven't picked up my brushes yet
but glad she likes my warm-up sketch
if i wait too long, i'll have to
warm-up again!

~stephanie
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2013, 02:01 PM
MA - USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnis
BearStar - Looks like two different people to me... Or the same person with many years separating the sketches. The top sketch is very long in the face vs. the bottom. Which is more accurate?

top - the older
she got it in the painting
it seems to me
that even when the sketch is off,
there's often still something in it...
or is that just
wishful thinking!!

~stephanie

~stephanie
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Wellington, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Hi all,

Thought I had better post a wip of Lawrence. oil on canvas.
Attached Images