WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture > Portraiture Forum Library Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Ireland

Hails from Ireland
Re: The 9th Annual WetCanvas Holiday Portrait Swap Pairings and Paintings thread!

Gary excellent stuff,certainly moi,

I knew once I would start to add colour ,I would collapse,so I will post up to the point I got, before filing it in the bin.
I will give it another go(I think I have bitten of more than I can chew )

As they say back to the drawing board.
Brian
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Lord of the Arts
Northampton, England

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: The 9th Annual WetCanvas Holiday Portrait Swap Pairings and Paintings thread!

Whoa there, that's me mate Keep going you're doing fine. Just a note to say be careful about losing tooth with that board
Gary

“It’s never too late to be who you might have been. —George Eliot aka Mary Ann Evans
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2012, 11:12 PM
Enthusiast
Woburn, Massachusetts

Hails from United States

Hi Everyone,

I have the distinct honor of having Kevin Wueste as my swap partner...whoo hoo!!! I hope to create something special. Kevin is such an inspiration and I have learned so much. I hope to do him justice.

Here's my line drawing, I call this my "ugly" stage. My process, I draw on a plain piece of copy paper. I don't like to draw on my drawing paper because I erase a lot and I would always end up ruining my paper so I do all my mistakes and erasing on my copy paper. I then tape my line drawing onto the back of my drawing surface then I trace my line drawing onto my actual drawing paper.

Here's my line drawing of Kevin. Size 11 x 14 graphite on Strathmore Bristol Vellum paper. The pencil I used was a 0.5mm Pentel P205 mechanical pencil with a 2B lead.

I'm really nervous about this because I'm still not confident in my skills and I really want to create something special for Kevin. Please, comments, feedback, suggestions, tips, and critiques are all welcomed.

Thanks,
~Ricky
Attached Images

#49   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2012, 11:25 PM
Enthusiast
Woburn, Massachusetts

Hails from United States

Carol, you're doing a great job!!! I love the line drawing and I'm really looking forward to seeing more as you bring "J" to life on paper.

beetee, amazing! I love the eyes...great texture on the background so far. Can't wait to see more.

Gary, this is incredible. I love the tones...great contrast. Real nice shadows. Looking forward to see more as you progress.

Walter, I'm just amazed. Real nice lines and I love the eyes. Can't wait to see more.

I'm really having fun with this. Awesome work everyone!!!!

~Ricky
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2012, 04:19 AM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Dea and I have exchanged photos now and yesterday I started a charcoal sketch of the pose I've chosen. I had to abandon it because of bad light and it still needs some refinement, but it's a start!
Everyones racing ahead and there are some great sketches here. Gary, you'll soon have brought this to a finish! Going well.

Pastel Guild of Europe http://www.pastelguild.org/
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2012, 05:44 AM
Tennessee- north of Nashville

Hails from United States

I have also swapped pictures with my partner, Carol, and can't wait to get to work. Have fun everyone! I certainly am going to..
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2012, 10:41 AM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

I worked on my sketch for ages, measuring, adjusting etc. Then realised I was just not going to get a likeness. I wanted to get on with colour so, confession time, I started again and traced out the outside line of the face (which always gives me problems) and the position of the eyes, nostril and mouth. From there the sketch went ok. So the fun has begun, I've started applying colour!

It's about 11x8.5" on pastelmat with soft pastels over a charcoal sketch.

The ref (aren't I lucky )

The sketch

And stage 1

Back to the studio now while there's still some light.

#53   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2012, 12:39 PM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales

Some great work already, four pages!
So have successfully swapped photos with Nora (Dollardays) and a few days ago I did this quick charcoal tonal sketch then got taken ill with food poisoning
Am now recovering so will make another start tomorrow, either another charcoal or an oil sketch.

Dave
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting please.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2012, 01:11 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

You have chosen one of the more difficult poses I sent Dave- but one of my favorites. I know you'll pull it off! can't wait to see what you come up with.
Nora
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Gary,
you were exactly right ,the board refused to take any more pastel,
I will start again soon.

Love the 'sketch' Wal_t
Good start Ricky.
Great sketch Dave.
Ruthie amazing stuff,that is why I always get defeated by colour,I would never dream of using those blues etc (nedd lessons badly)

All the best
Brian
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2012, 04:03 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Lovely work , so nice to see all of these happening GUys and Girls ... I've got the Lovely Amrits as my swappie !!!! .... Hope to do him a fab drawing or oils or both .... need to start ...ummm here we go exciting stuff !!!!

Brian , nice soft start ...

Ricky , love what your doing of Mr K.....little things I'm seeing the placement of the eyes the direction of them look at the left mainly , his left and the bridge of the nose slightly to wide hence the overall placement of the face to taper in slighty , just a smidgen but looks wonderful

Dave great start on yours I love it already .....

Looks lovely Ruthie , love the intent stare Quality here ....
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2012, 04:08 PM
WC! Guide

Ruthie 57 don't feel bad, I usually do the same thing.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2012, 05:21 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Journeyman, that's a great pose and a lovely gentle sketch!
Brian, don't be defeated by colour. One just has to practice. And you don't need to go mad with colour as I do either! All I do is look at each area of the face and decide whether it's warm or cool. If, for example, an area is cool, I decide whether it is blue, violet or green and add that colour there. I change my mind many times aswell. But that's just the map. I do try, as I work, to bring the colour down to recognisable skintones later, adjusting the colour and value all the time, but gradually.
Thanks Lovin art.
"J" I won't tell if you don't......

Here's some more. Starting from the top to bring the colour down a little. I'll work the whole face like this and then go over again and tweak (and tweak and tweak!). Got the eyes just about done but they too will get more attention later.
Started on the BG too. I think I may lighten the left side later. I did do more than this but suddenly realised it was nearly dark! No chance of a photo until tomorrow.

#59   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Mount Airy, North Carolina

Hails from United States

WOW these are really good!
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Thanks Ruthie,

Brian