WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture > Portraiture Forum Library Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Lord of the Arts
Northampton, England

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: The 9th Annual WetCanvas Holiday Portrait Swap Pairings and Paintings thread!

Got a start on Beetee, Brian. Soft pastels on Canson 40 x 30 cms. Since the ref is green how about I make the background 40 shades of green ?
Best wishes
Gary

“It’s never too late to be who you might have been. —George Eliot aka Mary Ann Evans
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2012, 10:46 PM
The Left Coast

Hails from United States
Re: The 9th Annual WetCanvas Holiday Portrait Swap Pairings and Paintings thread!

I'm glad things are working smoothly so far this year!!! Hopefully we have learned a few lessons from the speedbumps of past years! Great to see progress already! I just got some photos taken today and hope to review and send them off to my swap-mate this weekend!

Cheers - Kevin
"kevinwueste" on instagram
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2012, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member
Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Off to a flyer Gary
forty shades of green would suit an Irishman.

Brian

Will post the beginnings of my feeble effort soon
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Sydney, Australia

Got paired with somebody who went to my college! How random is that? Not very. This will be fun, because we can make the canvas as large as our cars will fit. Eager to get going ASAP.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Enthusiast
BC

Hails from Canada

It is interesting to see people just jumping in. I need to do a few sketches first, do some notans, etc. before I can even get to the painting.

Always a blast though.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Lord of the Arts
Northampton, England

A little bit more today

“It’s never too late to be who you might have been. —George Eliot aka Mary Ann Evans
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Enthusiast
BC

Hails from Canada

Here is an initial sketch of the lights and darks in wal_t's portrait. There is glare reflecting off the graphite but you get the idea.

#38   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2012, 12:16 AM
Enthusiast
Outside of Darwin Northern Territory

Hails from Australia

Wow, you people are fast
I've sent some photos to my partner and hope to get some back soon
Deanna

"You can own the Earth and still, all you own is earth untill, you can paint with all the colours of the wind." Disney's Pocohontas.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2012, 12:39 AM
The Left Coast

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgah
Got paired with somebody who went to my college! How random is that? Not very. This will be fun, because we can make the canvas as large as our cars will fit. Eager to get going ASAP.

Not very random ? Hmm.. If you both picked International - you were as random as the pool allows. Each member was assigned a random number ( generated via rand() in Excel. Then they were sorted and split in 2 halves to match. I hope - it is coincidence perhaps - but it was as random as I could figure out how to do.. random!

-Kevin
"kevinwueste" on instagram
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2012, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Excellent Gary.(keep 'er lit )
Here's as far as I have have got (it is a freehand pastel pencil sketch on mountboard)
Gary please tell me if it is way off (likeness)and if it is possible to post a reference for comparison and possible tips or pointers.

I have never completed a pastel portrait before(colour portrait any medium)
so if this fails,I may revert to charcoal or graphite.

Brian
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Enthusiast
Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Swapped photo's with Michael and this is my first sketch done quickly with a 6B pencil on 65*50 drawing paper ..... I intend to do either acrylic or pastel. Walter.

#42   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2012, 06:19 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Great work, all you early and busy bees! Please keep posting your prep work etc... It's very interesting to see how differently we all approach this. Dave (journeyman) and I have exchanged photos and had a dialogue about what we each think constitutes a good portrait and I bullied him into going outside and posing in his boating gear when I didn't like the ones he took with studio lighting. He's very easy to work with and very agreeable. Now I just have to make sure the portrait turns out well!
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Enthusiast
San Antonio, Texas

Hails from United States

You all are making great progress. I exchanged pictures with my partner, George and he sent me several. I chose 2 that had great values. Now to make the final decision on which one I will do.
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Enthusiast
Woburn, Massachusetts

Hails from United States

WOW - everyone has great progress already. Everything looks great! So much detail. I'm a little nervous because I'm not confident in my skills but I'm going to do my best. Great work everyone.

I'll be posting my initial line drawing soon.

Thanks,
~Ricky

Last edited by rickycorbett : 11-04-2012 at 07:36 PM.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Lord of the Arts
Northampton, England

Did a little more, starting to refine a bit. Looking good on mine Brian, feel free to post the ref
Gary