Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Discontinued pigments

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    waterhorse

I know (from Handprint etc.) that certain pigments – namely PY153 “New Gamboge”/Nickel Dioxine Yellow and PO49 Quinacridone Gold – stopped being produced by pigment manufacturers, presumably when automotive and other industry demand for them became too low. One consequence is (or ultimately will be, in the case of PO49) that the paint colors made from these pigments will no longer be available for artists, who make up far too small a market to influence pigment manufacturers.

But in a recent thread about DS Quin Gold, one poster stated that PO49 “is currently being produced for the automotive industry by a company in China” – here’s the link: http://www.ec21.com/product-details/Pigment-Orange-49–5471572.html. This kind of amazed me, made me wonder why in this case DS remains the only company using PO49. It also inspired me to do a little googling, and I found this apparent source (???) for “pigment yellow 153):

http://dimacolor.en.made-in-china.com/product/uSRJfOdjfghe/China-Equal-Basf-Ciba-Clariant-Pigment-Dioxime-Yellow-153.html

The page states that the pigment’s applications include “Paint, Coating, Plastic, Ink.”

Could this be true, that these pigments are once again being manufactured? If so, wouldn’t the artists’ paint companies know about this? Might they once again manufacture pigments from them? Why would they not? (Cost seems like a possible reason – but there are plenty of expensive paints out there, like Cadmiums, cobalts, etc.) Maybe these are unreliable sources?

My knowledge of the pigment industry is just this side of completely nonexistent, and my knowledge of the art materials world is only barely greater. These are questions that seem like they might once have been ideally directed to Bruce of Handprint. I don’t know how he got his information, or who else might have similar sources of information now that he is (I think?) retired, but I thought I’d put this out there to see if anyone has any thoughts about what (if anything) this might mean – or ideally, any knowledge or source of knowledge!

Jessica

briantmeyer

Just thinking thru the math here, please correct me as this is mostly guesswork/speculation ( related to PO49 ).

That link says that 500 KGS is minimum order sold in 20 very large bags which are 25 kg in weight ( that is 55 pounds ).

That is about 5 tons. ( give or take a bit )

That is $50,000 since each ton is $10,000.

That is a lot of pigment.

Amazon says a single shipped tube of paint weighs .6 to .8 ounces, which is partly the metal tube, partly the gum arabic and water, it’s not all powder. A single bag above weighs 880 ounces, the entire minimum order weighs 17,600 ounces.

I would assume that each ounce can make at least 2 tubes of paint if almost all of that weight is pigment, that is 35,000 tubes of a single color, but this is just a guess, it could be quite a bit more since water and metal tubes weigh a lot.

I just don’t see that many painters buying a single color of paint. Just looking at San Diego, which is a largish city with an big/active watercolor society, we have at retail just two suppliers who sell it and they have about 1-4 tubes at any given time. For about 3 months there was none available and I had them call me when it was available. I just don’t see these things flying off the shelf fast enough to add up to 35,000 tubes, even world wide.

However a single automotive line, each car needs a lot more paint and a factory order for paint would easily be this minimum order.

Perhaps this minimum order is the 10 year supply that daniel smith says they have, but the is an exception, the brands have discontinued these two pigments except for this, and stated the reason that artists just don’t buy enough to justify making the pigment to begin with.

LuckyLaura

500kg is only about half a tonne.

Also, as much as I love Quin Gold as a watercolour I am rather glad for my eyes that it is no longer used as a car colour. In fact I am surprised that some of the things we have as pigments could ever be translated to cars. How many Cobalt Violet cars do you see driving around? :P I guess they must mix them or something for cars. I am grateful for the pigments I have but I agree it’s unfortunate to lose some of them.

indianagreg

And about $11,000 for the minimum order. Do you think 110 people would put up $100 each for a lifetime supply of PO49? :D

waterhorse

Hi Briant, I am not quite sure what you mean in stating that “the brands” have stated that their reason for discontinuing the pigments is that “artists just don’t buy enough to justify making the pigment to begin with.” By “the brands” do you mean the pigment manufacturers? I don’t think artist demand affects them in the slightest.

Or do you mean the artist paint brands like Winsor & Newton & DS? In that case, I’ve never seen anything suggesting that that their reason for stopping producing a paint color was anything other than that the pigment was not available to them anymore, have you? I haven’t been around here long, but I have read and researched quite a lot (since that’s what I like to do! :)), and I haven’t seen any indication that they stopped making/selling New Gamboge (or in the case of W&N and others, “real” Quin Gold) because of lack of artist demand for the colors. It was just because the manufacturers stopped making the pigments. That’s why they’ve continued to try to reproduce the same colors with other pigments (and sell them, confusingly and – I think – misleadingly, under the same name!).

See e.g. this link, which is also from another thread:
                        http://www.goldenpaints.com/technicalinfo_faq_xv_limited

…The automotive industry is the chief consumer for pigments, and after that the next market is coatings for household and industrial goods like washing machine manufacturers. When the automotive folks stop using a particular pigment, it can quickly fall into obscurity because there simply isn’t enough sales to warrant continuing to make it.

When a pigment company stops making a certain pigment, we first will secure enough pigment to continue to make it for several years. Then we look towards other companies who make that same pigment, and if they too are halting their production, we begin to search for new pigments that are similar to the one being phased out….

It does seem like the minimum purchase amount for the pigments is large (how much pigment to paint a car?????) – but is this different from how any other pigment manufacturer provides any other pigments, since they all aim at the automotive (and other) industries, and the art industry is not even a speck on their radar? I have no idea what the answer is – I thought perhaps someone like Bruce of Handprint would, since he did so much research. Just attempting to reason it out, with no facts at my disposal :D, I don’t see why the pigment manufacturers would differ greatly in their standards for minimum orders etc., but of course I could be totally wrong.

Might art paint companies buy smaller amounts from (say) automotive manufacturers, instead of direct from pigment manufacturers?

Again, I have no idea whatsoever how this works, though the quote above (which is from “Golden Artists Colors”) suggests that they buy directly from pigment manufactuers.

Jessica

waterhorse

500kg is only about half a tonne.

Also, as much as I love Quin Gold as a watercolour I am rather glad for my eyes that it is no longer used as a car colour. In fact I am surprised that some of the things we have as pigments could ever be translated to cars…..

I was thinking this too! I was wondering if maybe it had been used for all those “Harvest Gold” refrigerators, washing machines, etc. (not to mention shag carpets…) in the late 60s and 70s, which still populate old houses and apartments…

Jessica

briantmeyer

What I am saying is artist demand ( how many tubes we buy )

This isn’t high enough for the “brands” ( winsor newton, daniel smith )

To order enough from the pigment makers or suppliers ( these are not retail suppliers but industrial suppliers ), to place an order for 5 tons of any pigment which costs $50,000. This is the first time I’ve seen a price and minimum order, but it makes sense. And of course this link not be totally accurate or be the same pricing and stuff that Daniel Smith is using ( pigments do vary from batch to batch).

This isn’t at the scale of our market, and again Golden says “When the automotive folks stop using a particular pigment, it can quickly fall into obscurity because there simply isn’t enough sales to warrant continuing to make it.”

My understanding is generally there is a middle man between the pigment makers and the brands we deal with called “colormen”. Yes they can cut these people out, but I imagine this isn’t the norm and only for those who need large volumes of pigment. I am also sure every pigment is different and it’s very complicated.

There is a radiolab on colors[/url] (at 15:55) where winsor newton is describing how they get gamboge from cambodia. Worth listening to.

waterhorse

I imagine it is very complicated!

Still, I remain curious. Bruce on Handprint says re PY153: “NOTE: Manufacturing of this pigment was discontinued and supplies ran out in 2012. Both Winsor & Newton and Daniel Smith have reformulated their new gamboge paints without it.” But if manufacturing of the pigment has resumed…is it possible this could change again? I have never seen or used PY153, so it’s not a personal crusade for me or anything. I just am really curious – and it seems a shame for colors to disappear from art.

I wonder what would happen if I wrote to DS to ask?!

Jessica

briantmeyer

Go for it

Ask a pigment supplier ( kremer pigments for example )

Cyntada

Some of these pigments are also used for printer’s inks, tinting plastics, ceramics, etc. etc. So there might be plenty of demand for a given pigment even if you don’t see a lot of cars in that color.

Occasionally it’s other issues – manganese blue is very toxic to produce, so it will probably remain in history even if manganese blue cars become the next big thing. :)

CK =)
                                            I take great comfort in knowing that my genuine typos will probably be blamed on some device's autocorrect. :angel:
                                            DIY art supplies, sketches, and more: cyntada.com / @cyntada

Good morning. :)
                                            If there is demand there is production too. If DS or any other artists’ color manufacturer sees that a particular color is in demand will find out a way to produce it or replace it with something similar. ( and will not tell you further details).
                                            As for Chinese suppliers, these produce and supply whatever they are told to produce in prices that you wouldn’t believe that can be that low.

The whole story of PO49 pigment sounds to me as a marketing trick of the style ” look how rare pigments we use for our colours” or ” the pigment is rare the retail price high”.

So don’t worry. You are going to find this or other pigments on the market for as long as you are interested to buy them.

P.S.. Companies’ representatives read this forum and other similar sites too in order to detect what are the art market’s trends and demands. Write here or somewhere else that you need something exotic and you’ll see it appear immediately on the market.. Write that you experimenting on a new technique or improvise on something and check then how soon something similar will appear in stores. ;)

indraneel

All minimum orders are negotiable. A single drum of any pigment (~20 liter) is generally readily available even from distributors. The biggest problem getting amounts less than that is that the moisture free vacuum sealed drums need to be opened by the seller……. unless the seller is also the manufacturer, in which case they will have left overs :)

waterhorse

Marialena, the problem with that reasoning is that 1) no one else other than Daniel Smith sells “true” Quin gold (PO49). You really think W&N and others wouldn’t be selling it if they could get it? You think DS would be reformulating their Quin Gold if they didn’t have to (see recent thread)? Also, 2) no one at all sells New Gamboge/Nockel Dioxine Yellow anymore (PY153), despite it apparently being an artist favorite yellow. Again, you think someone wouldn’t be selling that color if it had remained available?

It seems highly unlikely that the demand from artists is ever going to be enough to affect pigment manufacturing.

Jessica

Minerva C

When did they discontinue PY153? I have bought paint with this pigment recently. I can see it on several charts. Daler Rowney, Lukas, Sennelier, Schmincke.

C

"It is only when we are no longer fearful that we begin to create."
                                                        J.M.W. Turner

Minerva C

Saw now that it was discontinued in 2012.

I bought an Aqua mini set from Sennelier a couple of weeks ago. The Phthalo green light is pigments PG7 and PY153, and Sap green is PB29 and PY153.

C

"It is only when we are no longer fearful that we begin to create."
                                                            J.M.W. Turner

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.