Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Studio Sketch thread for oil pastels 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 152 total)
  • Author
    terriks

Hey! It’s 2019! Let’s see your oil pastel sketches! :clap:

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

terriks

Here are my latest doodlings.

I always feel like I need to practice on different tree styles, though I did something similar awhile back. I went very fast on this, let a lot of paper peek through. And he’s a mite lopsided. :lol:Cray Pas Expressionist only.

I spent about 45 minutes on this one, mainly on the leaves. I moved to my Mungyos and even a few Senns to get some texture in the petals.

Definitely good exercises in trying to move along a little faster, though mistakes are made.

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Rich A

nice details on the flower petals. The tree looks good too. The paper showing through helps it feel…i dunno “airy”? much better than being a solid green blob.

A great start to your thread, Terri! I especially like the flower.

Christel

terriks

Thank you both! :)

Rich, you’re right. I was playing with a light-to-shadow area on that tree, but didn’t bother with much detail. It was in danger of becoming that solid green blob! :lol:

Terri

Mira

Wow, new sketch thread! Thanks, Terri! :)
                        Nice sketches – I like the deep shadows contrasting with the lit side (the tree) and the sunflower is very well done :)

This is mine… I feel I need to start doing sketches on A4 :lol: not enough space to do the details on the A5 format.
                        This one took longer time than usual – over 2 hours. I loved this sky and was trying my best and slightly overworked it. Used my cheap OPs :)

I love oil pastels and have created a blog about this medium. While the blog posts are in Russian, still I invite you to get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery

Lovely!
                        I’m working on a landscape using cheap op’s and got so frustrated with the blending that I used solvent again. It helps to speed up the process too.

Christel

Mira

Lovely!
                            I’m working on a landscape using cheap op’s and got so frustrated with the blending that I used solvent again. It helps to speed up the process too.

Thanks Christel!
                            Do you treat the paper before using solvents? I don’t like the hassle with them… I bought a bottle of low odor solvent, it is okay and it blends well, but the smell is still there and I don’t want to bother with treating the paper… it’s just my sketchbook…
                            I have just bought a small pack of aquarelle OPs (Mungyo) – inexpensive, the same price as regular Mungyo Gallery. Works like aquarelle and lays down and blends nicely even without water. But for the moment I only use cheap stuff for my sketchbook :)

I love oil pastels and have created a blog about this medium. While the blog posts are in Russian, still I invite you to get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery

terriks

ooo, I’m loving this cityscape, Mira! Your sky is beautiful, pink and delicate over the mysterious dark buildings and bridges below. Great composition!

Regarding solvents – I’ve had the best luck using a product called Turpenoid, an odorless artist blend of turpentine. It has a very mild odor, not completely odorless – but Mira, you could simply be very sensitive to solvents. Lots of people are.

It works wonderfully on better quality OP’s, which isn’t surprising I guess. The more pigment & wax to dissolve together, the better. My favorite paper for solvents is the Arches Oil paper – it has a gesso binder blended into the pulp at the factory, and it’s a thick paper, too – 140#, or 300 g/m. I’ve used the Turpenoid, various OP’s, erasers (for graphite errors which are many!), scratchback, and otherwise inflicted all kinds of abuse on this paper – it just takes it. Worth every penny!

I’ve had less success with solvents on thinner, untreated paper like what comes in my sketchbook. If I want to dilute, I agree that water-soluble OP’s would be a better choice. (My current sketchbook is Canson Mix Media paper.)

Terri

Rich A

I second that on the Turpenoid. Works great with OP.

MIra – Love that city sunset sketch! Nice sky and highlights throughout the scene. Especially the right side. Looks like a sign or bridge. Either way I really like it.

SarahY

Lovely sketches terriks and Mira!

I never sketch with oil pastels, ever. I just do paintings. I never wanted to do my piano and clarinet practice, either :lol: However, I REALLY need to practice painting one to two inch square heads in different positions and angles. I find those ever so difficult with oil pastels, especially views from the top of the head. I shall make some time to practice and will post here.

http://www.shyeomans.co.uk
                                        \m/ neue deutsche härte \m/
                                        Nothing left but smoke and cellar, and a woman with a black umbrella...

Mira

Especially the right side. Looks like a sign or bridge. Either way I really like it.

Your sky is beautiful, pink and delicate over the mysterious dark buildings and bridges below.

:lol: no, it’s not a bridge on the right (though it’s interesting to learn it looks this way :)) it’s a reflection in the shopwindow and there is a big yellow-green sign above it.
                                            Thank you very much for your kind words, Rich and Terri :cat:

Regarding solvents – I’ve had the best luck using a product called Turpenoid, an odorless artist blend of turpentine. It has a very mild odor, not completely odorless – but Mira, you could simply be very sensitive to solvents. Lots of people are.

My favorite paper for solvents is the Arches Oil paper – it has a gesso binder blended into the pulp at the factory, and it’s a thick paper, too – 140#, or 300 g/m.
                                            (My current sketchbook is Canson Mix Media paper.)

I haven’t seen Turpenoid here (lots of others instead) but you are right – I am sensitive to many odors (even perfumes).

Yes, you have praised Arches Oil Paper so many times that I’ve started wanting to get it :lol: and I think I will some time ;)

I was thinking about the sketchbooks quality… I only buy really cheap ones (thick paper but still cheap) and was wondering if buying a bit more expensive ones will make a big difference. Maybe they are just nicer to work on. Anyway, I’ve just started my new cheap sketchbook and maybe next one will be a little better quality :)

Mira

I never sketch with oil pastels, ever. I just do paintings. I never wanted to do my piano and clarinet practice, either :lol: However, I REALLY need to practice painting one to two inch square heads in different positions and angles. I find those ever so difficult with oil pastels, especially views from the top of the head. I shall make some time to practice and will post here.

Thanks Sarah!

Haha, you don’t need to do sketches because you progress very quickly with your paintings! I think you do at least 6-7 paintings a month – that’s quick! I mostly started doing sketches out of frustration that I manage around 2 paintings a month while I want experience more with colors and just with OPs.

One-two inches heads, oh that’s very tough! Would love to see your sketches :) hope you’ll get some extra time for it ;)

terriks

no, it’s not a bridge on the right (though it’s interesting to learn it looks this way ) it’s a reflection in the shopwindow and there is a big yellow-green sign above it.

Well, now that you’ve pointed it out, it seems very obvious. Clearly, there are letters above your window. Are they Russian? It could be that that’s what tricked my mind, it just didn’t register as a sign! oops!

Yes, you have praised Arches Oil Paper so many times that I’ve started wanting to get it and I think I will some time

I think you’d like it a lot! Compared to the cost of Pastelmat, which I also love, it’s a bargain for its toughness and handling of the OPs. :)

Terri

terriks

My sketchbook is also filled with graphite sketches, and a couple of colored pencil sketches. I never posted them because they’re not OP’s.

I hear you, though…OP’s are messy in a sketchbook format, rubbing against the back of pages when you close it up. It’s kind of wasteful, I only use the right-side page to avoid messing up the left-side! :lol: But it is useful to grab the cheap OPs to work stuff out in a stress-free way.

So, let’s see those little heads! And in the meantime, Missy, get back to that piano and clarinet – run some scales! :D

Terri

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 152 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.