Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking Picasso screenprinting

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Can anyone tell me if Picasso used the stencil method to produce his simple animal screenprints?

e.g

http://www.pablopicasso.net/penguin/

Thanks!

Knowing Pablo he probably used an oil based media right on the screen, the block out would have been water based. After the block out has dried, wash out drawing materials and print. That’s my guess.

Great, thanks. His prints do look direct. I’ve only done stencils and photo emulsion prints. I’ve not had much experience with screenprinting.

I’m trying to do little animal prints. Currently working in lino – but I’m not getting much success, so I’m going to try again with screenprinting.

We used to use Litho crayons on the screen then flood the screen with that kindergarten glue, usalege(sp?) same principle as Litho crayons are washed out with paint thinner.
    Since your playing with lino , Pablo also developed a great and simple approach. 1st print your lino block as a full flat, lets say black, then he would carve his image thinking of the carved lines as positive marks. Next print it using, lets say opaque white over the black flat, with just two colors and you have a black positive image. Pablo had great graphic success with that approach. Its even better if you hit the black while its still wet, lots of nice repulsion there. Try your little animals using this approach, I think Pablo was so successful is to be attributed to his directness and he didn’t care about his mistakes, he took risks and tried to avoid thinking, instead he paid attention. I feel that thinking hamstrings an artist.

That is amazing, that is exactly what I’ve been doing!!! Great minds think alike, although I thought I’d ‘invented’ this method! To think Picasso had the same Eureka moment :)

I’ve been using using the lines as the image lines and printing on black. I was a bit hard on myself when I said I didn’t have any success. I did some nice simple images in red, white and black. But gave up when the next try wasn’t very good. They do look like a 5 year old has made them, but I like them and that’s all that matters. I’m going to return to lino now, you have inspired me. I think I need to buy some good inks as I’m using very cheap water based.

Thanks for your replies Leather Roller.

Please post those lino cuts, I’d love to see them. I can’t stand any water based inks, because I’m a Litho guy everything I print is with Litho inks, it’s like oil painting with large rollers. Oil based printing inks must be added to trans base, they are just so concentrated, and intense, I never buy anything smaller than 5lb cans of trans base, some of my inks have been with me since I finished college in 87, but you really go thru the trans base.
    Some of Picasso’s art looked like a five year old’s work. It’s such a hard thing to put your finger on, we relish the honesty and drive of a child when they create, worts and all, its so pure. Then as adults we try to somehow rise above it, but speaking personally I love seeing mistakes and the humanity it conjures, we all have flaws.

What is a trans base?

I’m trying to create some prints today using oil based relief ink (caligo safewash), as I have some.

All a bit weird and tacky, so I’m going to get some oil based relief inks before I go any further.

I will certainly post some pictures when I have some not embarrassing ones to show! Meanwhile I’ll private message one, you’ll laugh as I was not joking when I said it is like a kids picture.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.