WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2019, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Worcester,Ma

Hails from United States
Rolling Red Hills

Rolling Red Hills
Done on the fairly new Canson Mi'tents* Touch grey-blue. I used Rembrandt's, Blicks and Jack Riches0n's artists pastels and a few Stabilo pastel pencils. 8"˝x10"˝
Reference photo courtesy of a copyrite free digital photo sharing site but unfortunately I can't remember which one.

I have recently been studying and reading up on when is your painting is done and the effects of overworking. And low and behold I think I might have used to much detail ? Does anyone think it's too"busy" and overworked? I kindly appreciate any and all advice and suggestions and or comments all I ask is that you be nice and keep on topic thanks for checking it out!
Sincerely Jayson R .

Last edited by water girl : 07-17-2019 at 12:37 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2019, 01:58 PM
Peoria, Illinois

Hails from United States
Re: Rolling Red Hills

It is a neat inspiring photo- the broad red foothills with a trace of snow in the valleys! You may be able to tone the intense color down a notch, and create more form on them with more of a value separation between light and shadow. The snow, although a small percentage of the scene, must be carefully portrayed in drawing.

www.KenTiessenArt.com
Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2019, 06:45 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States
Re: Rolling Red Hills

Nice piece, Jayson. Ken has some good advice for you. I might add that you could consider the effect that the deep blue sky has on the mountain. The areas that receive direct sunlight are warm, as you have shown, while the shadowed areas tend to show the influence of the blue color above them. Photos don't show it but there would be some blue in the shadow color. Maybe try a very light glaze in a blue of the same value as your shadows to see if you like the effect? Just a few subtle touches here and there. It's best if this blue lays on top of the other colors and doesn't get mixed in and make a dull muddy color. If you don't like it you can always lift it off with a kneaded eraser but please don't make any changes that don't feel right to you! It doesn't look overworked to me and I agree that it's not easy to tell when a painting is done. You can always try adding only the bare minimum of details to see if the painting works. It usually does.