WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Clay
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2018, 03:29 PM
Oak Ridge, TN

Hails from United States
Re: Small relief

ntl: Thank you for looking and for the kind comment. I will try and answer your questions:

The mold is plaster so I imagine I can get quite a few from it. I used to have molds that were 20 years old or more that had been given to me and they still worked fine.

I am pressing into the mold a cone 6 moist clay body, when the clay contacts the plaster some of the water is wicked from the clay causing it to shrink slightly, this allows me to gently remove the positive. Due to this water transfer I have noticed that the time it takes to remove a positive from the mold can increase as the plaster takes on more water. For this reason I tend to let the plaster "rest" to dry after a few pulls.

I have to make at least 6 pieces for parents, grandparents, etc. Then I would also like to make a few for myself to experiment with different finishes.

What is my next project? Well I have three requests for relief portraits like this one, except one of them needs to have three people in it.
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes Romans 1:16
My Blog

#17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2018, 11:01 AM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Wow, this is a phenomenal piece! Thank you so much for sharing it, and for showing the steps along the way! Does the kid like it? He looks like he was having fun posing!
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2018, 10:38 PM
Oak Ridge, TN

Hails from United States

Thank you Pine Cone, for your compliment. "The kid" is only 28 months so he really doesn't care. Perhaps when he is older. Hopefully I will have a finished piece to show sometime in the near future as I have a few drying awaiting bisque fire.
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes Romans 1:16
My Blog

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2018, 09:43 AM
Oak Ridge, TN

Hails from United States

Should have more pictures of the fired pieces in the next week or so.
My Blog

#20   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2018, 12:14 PM
Oak Ridge, TN

Hails from United States

Well, finally bisque fired. I have applied a coat of brown shoe polish in an experiment which brought results I like very much. The final thing to be done is the mounting of a wood block that is smaller than the outside dimensions of the piece so that it will "float" on the wall.

I made three of these initially, each one entirely unique. The photos are of one of the three. I will probably make more to do further experiments with surface finish and presentation.

I would appreciate very much your thoughts. Have a great day!

My Blog

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2018, 06:33 PM
Oak Ridge, TN

Hails from United States

Here is a very poor image of all three.

My Blog