Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes April 2019 Landscape Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    Mayfly

Welcome to the April 2019 Landscape Something Different Challenge!

We are going to try something a bit different this month. For April we are going to test ourselves in Landscape “Literary” imagery. And yep, there are no photos (I know, sorry). Just images in words. It is good to try new things and I hope I am not breaking any landscape challenge rules. They are images still :).

Anyway, below you will see quotes from various authors that provide images of a landscape. Your challenge is to take that image from words and create what we see using the noodly stuff between our ears. Sound like fun?

Here we go:

Choose a quote below and then paint, draw, sculpt, sew, whatever medium you want the image you see in your mind. Please identify by the number which quote you used.

This is an activity thread for artists of all experience levels, and that work in any medium, including digital. Since this is a group activity, we can pool our knowledge and resources, and grow as artists in a fun, no-pressure atmosphere. No critiques unless specifically asked for. The intent is to have fun, try new things, and experiment.

Then scan or photograph the result and post it in this thread. Tell us the size and medium plus anything else you’d like to share.
        If you have questions, let me know. Create and have fun. Cheers.

The Landscape Imagery Quotes:

“The autumn leaves blew over the moonlit pavement in such a way as to make the girl who was moving there seem fixed to a sliding walk, letting the motion of the wind and the leaves carry her forward. […] The trees overhead made a great sound of letting down their dry rain.”
        ― Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

“The evening sky was awash with peach, apricot, cream: tender little ice-cream clouds in a wide orange sky.”
        ― Philip Pullman, The Golden Compass

“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn.”
        ― John Muir, The Mountains of California

“All at once the desert was everywhere, and I was overcome with a feeling of relief. Sand, rocks, hills—the whole landscape was tinted the same shade of orange as the sky.”
        ― Jasmin Darznik, Song of a Captive Bird [/B]

…lightning forked toward the dry earth, the white light streaking across the sky as if bony fingers reached into the purpling cloud. Thunder shuddered through the early night, the vibrations of it rolling through the cracked soil.”
        ― Alannah K. Pearson, Bone Arrow

“The vision of this massive body of water with towering monoliths jutting straight upward to the heavens, stole our ability to think. Colors that made the wildflowers look dull, streaked up and down across the great pillars of hardened rock. The clouds and sky were mirrored in the glassy surface of the deep expanse of lake.”
        ― Danielle Rohr, Water Falls Down

In the late summer of that year we lived in a house in a village that looked across the river and the plain to the mountains. In the bed of the river there were pebbles and boulders, dry and white in the sun, and the water was clear and swiftly moving and blue in the channels.
        A Farewell To Arms (Ernest Hemingway)[/B]

“As long as we have the meadow,
        there is much left that is good
        in the world.”

Elizabeth Stone O’neill

Carl

CaliAnn

Carl: what a brilliant idea! I love it! I will definitely give this a shot – how fun!

dewarp

Great idea Carl. I simply must find time this month!

regards – Peter

kahuella

Wow! what an idea. Combining literature and visual art that so naturally go hand in hand is so good.
                    I think this challenges the artistic mind more than only a photo reference.
                    very exiting to see what people will produce.
                    :clap:

Bizzibee

Carl that is a brilliant idea! My mind is buzzing with ideas. Hope I can get them down into something meaningful and interesting, however!

'One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star': Friedrich Nietzsche

Mayfly

Cool – Great to hear that the minds are turning and buzzing!!!!

Carl

Dorrart

I love this theme. Great idea.

I have a question about challenge thread protocol. I’m not sure that I would, but if I were to paint a nude into the landscape (some came to mind as I read the phrases), would that impact the entire thread, forcing the nudity symbol on the thread, or would I have to place it in a separate thread and link it with the nudity symbol attached or mentioned in the post with the link? Or is it not allowed? How is that generally handled in the challenges? Or has it never come up?

- David

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." --Picasso

dewarp

Here goes with my first attempt at #1. I used two of my own images, one of a forest path and one of a girl. All done as digital manipulation in Photoshop and Fotosketcher.

C&C welcome.

regards – Peter

CaliAnn

Wow Peter – fantastic interpretation! What a great challenge this is!

Mayfly

Peter – And another Wow!!. Very cool image. My mind went another direction…Great start, amazing light, and love it.

Carl

Mayfly

dorrart – you asked, “….would that impact the entire thread, forcing the nudity symbol on the thread”? Well you could always go with the “strategically placed fig leaf” approach.

I think you will need the rear symbol. I don’t think it will impact. Still, I turn to the moderators for their call on this. Cheers

Carl

Dorrart

Well you could always go with the “strategically placed fig leaf” approach.

As in keeping with landscape forum! :thumbsup:

- David

Dorrart

Dewarp, your photo manipulation captures the essence of the quote beautifully.

- David

CaliAnn

“As long as we have the meadow, there is much left that is good in the world.” Elizabeth Stone O’neill

Did this with watercolor and kitchen sponge :)

dewarp

Thanks for the comments folks.

CaliAnn – Great job on the meadow. (So kitchen sponges do have sensible uses after all!)

regards – Peter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 110 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.