WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 08:14 PM
Enthusiast
Lake Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States
Re: Photographing a Watercolor

If we are talking about art prints using a digital camera then it is best to use a camera that gathers a lot of image information because the more pixels that you have to work with, the better. The real processing comes when the image files are transferred from your camera and into your computer and finally into one of the imaging software’s, such as Photoshop. On the other hand good internet images do not require a great camera, just a good post processing program. This is just one person’s opinion and we all have our opinions, for sure.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Vallejo, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil carter
"...I'm sure the photos everyone is making are lovely, but I admit- it all seems like overkill for me unless you're really having a high quality print made. I've used my iphone to very good effect..."

Steve, have you entered your work in regional and national juried competitions using Iphone photos?

Sling paint,
Virgil

Absolutely. Every art photo I've ever used has been done with my iphone. All my submissions to shows (AWS, NWS, CWA, Widling gallery, etc), and all the work in my gallery on my website is done with my iphone too. Everything on instagram and facebook too.

Iphones take pretty good clear pics, but they tend to run cool in temperature. Also, everything gets slightly crushed when online- my gallery pics are slightly lower res than what I have on my hard drive, and most contests require you to shrink the pixel count down to a lower res than the iphone creates natively. Even the iphone is really overkill in terms of resolution.

I'm not saying iphones can't take crappy pics. They totally can. But I think appropriate cool bright lighting, placing yourself properly in relation to the painting so you don't distort it in your image, and knowing the basics of color post-processing in PS are more important than a DSLR for good results.

Last edited by SteveBerry : 05-22-2019 at 11:48 PM.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2019, 04:49 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
San Diego

Hails from United States

Best color, as in accurate and technically prints to match the original, is the various epson “photo” scanners, this is done while hitting reset on its auto adjust. I used these in prepping work for a four color press, for pharmaceuticals and law schools, and just could scan as is and convert to CMYK. Their printers if you calibrate things just right are amazing to, but calibrating those is hard, the scanners work as is.

Every other camera is actually pretty good besides that, even iphones, but the problem isnt the camera, its the lighting ( is it cool or warm, glares), tripod so its not blurry, is it parallel to the artwork or is it distorting. Often including a grayscale with your photo can be used to calibrate color.

I am hoping to set something up in my garage with camera mount, spot lights a 45 degrees, copy stand. Never had much luck with cameras.