WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#121   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Enthusiast
Finland

Hails from Finland
Re: Yes, You CAN Have Too Many Pastels!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelfwynn
I still can't imagine having TOO MANY pastels! Of course, I don't own anywhere near a full set of anything yet, apart from F-C's pastel pencils, and I wish they had more darks!

i hope F-C have more lights,and almost grey tones to me i dont need more darks...
  #122   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Enthusiast
Finland

Hails from Finland

Titlte is right to me i think i only need now little more grays,and some lights.
  #123   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2012, 05:38 PM

Hails from Sweden

Just wanted to tell you Jackie that it was nice of you explaining that you
were thinking of those people with low budget. It is uplifting for them to
hear that they donīt need so many sets to be able to paint a wonderful
painting.

We here in Sweden donīt even have the Unison as you have. We have
Schmincke but in my opinion that brand you can only use on the last
layer. But then I have not been using them a lot so maybee I just need
more practice with them.

When I was buying Unison today, I do the opposite, I first pick the sticks
I want and then I look for the sets to see if there is one containing the sticks
I first picked. Unfortunate there were none haha.

When writing on internet it can be a little bit hard sometimes to know
what people really mean because we donīt hear the tone in the voice so
to speak.
  #124   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2012, 06:09 PM
A Local Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

RuthieAnne

Sandals from France???? Oh my, we are getting up in the world.

Derek (otto).
  #125   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Enthusiast

Jackie - Thanks so much for popping in here to remind us that we don't NEED to have so many pastels! Sometimes we are just like children in a candy store!! But you are correct, the amount of pastels you own does not determine your success as an artist.

As for how many pairs of shoes/boots/sandals I own, well ... I'm going to "plead the 5th" on this one so as not to incriminate myself :-) My husband merely rolls his eyes anymore when I come home with new shoes. It helps if I cull out the ones I no longer wear and give them away - which I desperately need to do. In my own defense, I am 5'2" tall and my husband is 6". I SHOULD be able to wear heels - except my back is terrible, so I have to wear the very lowest of heels to flats. So my excuse is when I come across cute flats, I have to purchase them :-) Because who knows when the next cute pair will come along????

Lynn
  #126   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2012, 02:48 AM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

Hails from United Kingdom

AnnaLisa

Schmincke are very soft, and yes, it is good to use them in the final stages, but if all you had was a set of Schmincke, you could happily do some selective blending of light side strokes in the early stages, to give you a good head start into the painting, like an underpainting... and then use heavier, thicker strokes later on, over the top. Also, you could fix the earlier stages, and work thicker over the top. They are superb, excellent quality pastels and can be manipulated by adjusting the weight of your strokes.

In fact, I usually work the early stages of a picture with my cheap hard pastels, knowing I am going to cover them up. This gives me the main shapes, and the darker tones, and I begin to see the pattern of dark areas and lighter areas over the entire rectangle. hard pastels tend not to fill the tooth if used lightly, so I get the main areas in, with the shapes as right as possible. I then switch to softer pastels for subsequent layers.

Problems only develop if you are heavy-handed with the pastels at the beginning and then you discover that things need to be dramatically altered, and you then try to make alterations by adding more and more layers on top of thick pastel all ready applied. This can become difficult to do if there are so many layers that you have lost the tooth of the paper. It is always an option to brush off thick layers that are incorrect for colour, tone or shape.

It is a matter of practice.

also you are so right about tone of voice in the written word. "Anonymous" called me pompous. Well, I guess the words might have sounded pompous to him/her! That is the danger inherent in the written word - the perception of the reader. it is very difficult to "hear" the tone of someone's voice. Look at this, it is rather funny - not so much to do with tone of voice, but boy how the punctuation changes the meaning! Spoken aloud , with punctuation in place, you would understand the meaning immediately.

a woman without her man is nothing.

a woman...without her, man is nothing.

Last edited by jackiesimmonds : 09-18-2012 at 03:03 AM.
  #127   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2012, 09:48 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
central Missouri

Hails from United States

Jackie, thanks so much for giving your opinion here. I look around and realize I have many wonderful pastels and love them all. Need to pay car insurance, buy gas, groceries and other items, but more pastels? Not needed.

I have a new goal. Paint and enjoy the process. I am going to try and use all my art supplies before I pass!

I guess I'd better get off here and start painting.

Terry
  #128   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2012, 04:51 AM
Northern Queensland, Australia.

Hello I am new to this forum, and I know myself after surfing the internet that I am already totally roped into buying more and more pastels; and yet I havent produced one pastel painting or drawing, other than a couple of horse head portraits in oil pastels 25 or 30 years ago!!!. My husband and myself felt that purchasing pastels would greatly speed up my work as I am a total detail freak and fusspot, every piece no matter the medium takes me forever to produce!!!. I have already purchased a full set of Pitt Pastel pencils after watching a Colin Bradley You Tube video, as I thought this was the way to go until I tried them on Canson Mi Tientes paper (which is the only paper I found at my local art supply store at that time) and found these pencils scratched the surface of the paper and many colours were difficult to blend. I then did more reading and found that I should have purchased Carbothello pastel pencils because they were much softer and easier to blend and much more suited to detailed animal art...and I love to blend with my fingers (oil pastels and oil paint)!. I then purchased some Schmincke soft pastel sticks at $6.00 a stick which felt so soft and creamy. I am now ready to purchase the full Carbothello set from the USA as well as some substrates, and any other pastels I NEED for my work. I mainly do wildlife, love to work in high detail, so would particularly love to hear from artists working in this genre, or any artist working in a lot of detail would be great.. I have worked in oils, graphite, charcoal, watercolours and my favourite medium is scratchboard....and previously leather carving and copperwork.

After reading this thread, I am wondering whether "IGNORANCE IS BLISS"!!!.
Reading is not only bad for your health, it is also hard on the wallet!!!.

Last edited by GirlfromOZ : 09-23-2012 at 04:57 AM.
  #129   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2012, 05:05 PM

Hails from Sweden

Jackie, I too start with the hard pastels, then I go over it with the
medium hard/soft pastels. It is very good to start with the hard pastels.

If I only had Schmincke I could also maybee put water on the first layer or the alcohol and then go over it with a light hand. But since they are so soft and of good quality its good to use them last because I have not trained with them. I need to do that. Thank you for all your info.

I will order some more Schmincke soon because I am now interested to
test them more.
I have ordered 34 sticks of Unison which will be very fun to receive soon.

And having many sticks is like a piano maybee, we want all the tones but we maybee never use them all, but having them there give us the chance to use them if we want.

About the punctuations, it made a huge difference!!
Since I donīt know you, I must admit that the large letters looked a little bit like using a loud voice during we all had a great time enjoying all the pastels.
But now I understand that you were only caring for the people and didnīt
want them to become too adict. The sticks should not own you, but you should own them, or the sticks should not have power over you but you should have power over them, so to speak.

So for the people who are not in the dangerous zone, I just think its nice
to spend the money on pastels because there are so many things we can
waste money on that isnīt an investment in our future. Its fun experimenting
with many brands. But I also understand that they who sell them are sales people.

To you who showed us all your fantastic pastels, I am very glad that you
wanted to take the time to show us your stuff. It was really fun. As someone said before, you are a great source because you know how the different brands behave and it is very nice if people can ask you because you have the knowledge of them.