WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Philadelphia, PA

Hails from United States
Paper Weight and Need for a Press?

I've had much success in pulling even, clean, crisp prints by using a baren when I print on rice paper. However, when I use anything heavier than rice paper (even just regular typing computer paper, let alone Rives lightweight), things become spotty or glumpy. Could it be that I need a press to print on heavier paper? I'm using mounted linoleum and water-based block printing ink. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Toowoomba, Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: Paper Weight and Need for a Press?

Hmmmm... do you soak the heavier paper in hot water first? I feel the crispness of the image can also depend on the texture of the heavier paper when using a baren.

You will definitely get a clearer and crisper print if you use a press.
Printing by press or hand is personal choice though.... It sounds like you should do some experimenting with a press (and assorted paper types) to see if you prefer using the press over hand printing using a baren.

Mooksii
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2012, 08:00 PM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada

my observation is that thicker paper requires more pressure to ensure a crisp even transfer of ink. A press will help achieve this.

Hand burnishing is a tricky thing. Better results are achieved much better using a thinner paper. Damp paper can also deliver a bit better result although I am not convinced that soaking of the paper is necessary if you are doing a relief based image. Misting with a fine layer of moisture on the surface of the paper will help. If you are doing Intaglio this would benefit from soaking and blotting if a heavier rag paper is being used.

Good luck!

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart

Last edited by bridog : 06-18-2012 at 08:03 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2012, 07:10 AM

Hails from United Kingdom

I didn't ever have a great deal of success printing without a press, but I got better prints when I started to use a vinyl type material rather than lino as it was sort of softer and a bit more flexible and could flex to the paper, if that makes sense... But that's not much use if your print blocks are lino ones Another thing I tried was putting the paper on top of the block and burnishing the back of the paper, this worked a little better than putting the block on top of the paper, but you may already have tried this...
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2012, 05:32 PM
The Florida Swamps

Hails from United States

Is putting the block on the paper even considered a way to go, outside of stamping small blocks? I was recently considering putting the block on top but realized that there might be a problem when removing the block as opposed to pulling paper off a block.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Philadelphia, PA

Hails from United States

Thanks for the input, folks! I'm now the very proud owner of an Econo Etch II, thanks to your recommendations. As for the question, to my knowledge, everything that I've ever read about printing (which has been limited to linoleum block printing) states that the paper should be placed on top of the block. I'm new around here, though!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2012, 01:16 PM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

This is where I love printmaking. Yes, you can put the paper on top of the block but I've often put the block down on the paper since I usually print only one color. Experiment!!! That's what's so wonderful about our medium...

Diane
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2012, 01:17 PM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Oh, and congratulations!!!

Diane
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Philadelphia, PA

Hails from United States

Thanks so much, Diane! I did a few lino carvings several years ago but have done 9 in the past few months and just wasn't getting the crispness and precision out of hand burnishing. I'm so excited that I'm afraid to take it out of the crate and actually use it!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2012, 02:30 PM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Good grief... get that crate opened!!! And you might want to set it on some of that rubber non-skid stuff they sell in the grocery/drug stores for shelves and drawers. The press is small and can scoot sometimes.

Later on, if you have a designated printing area, you can bolt it in place. I never needed to but there should be some holes on the bottom that can be used for that purpose.

Have fun!!!

Diane
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2012, 06:20 AM

How exciting all this talk. I find printing is always an experiment with some wonderful results.keep printing guys.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2012, 07:34 AM
Philadelphia, PA

Hails from United States

That's my plan for tonight, Diane! I've already cleared off a table in my tiny studio apartment for it. Wheee! So excited and intimidated all at once!