WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching > The Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2005, 12:13 AM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Basic 101: Class 14 - Figure Drawing

Basic 101: Class 14
The Human Figure—GO FIGURE!

Honestly, I’m a portrait guy—I love to draw my family and my dog—I like landscapes and I like rabbit hutches but I have never been captivated, like most artist, by the human figure. No real reason—it is just a personal preference.

It doesn’t matter whether or not I like to draw the figure—I OWE it to myself as an artist to draw the human figure whether it be male or female. It always disturbed me that there are always more female reference sources then there seem to be male. Anyway, I am glad that I did this as it rekindled a spark in me that I thought was long extinguished.

For the past few classes, we have been skipping merrily away from the DeReyna book and that is ok because I want you to pick up as much as you can from different sources. Like spinach and that eggplant casserole that my aunt would always say that I would like because I had not tried hers—well—like my aunt would say—“its good for you”. In this case, the experience is good for you.

So here we are back in DeReyna-Land. Please experiment with any medium that you would like—both dry and wet. The purpose here is the experience of drawing the figure so go about it anyway that you feel comfortable.

A couple of things regarding the human figure:

1. The arms and legs are cylinders as well as the torso, waist, chest and head—think about this point and creating solidity with your figure—a three dimensional look.

2. The standard measurement of the human figure is in “heads”. A classic human male or female is 7.5 heads tall. This is not, by any means, a fixed position. For example, a petite female may be 6 heads tall or a male be as high as 8 heads tall.

FOR GOD’S SAKE—YOU DON’T HAVE TO DRAW THE HEADS. Instead create for yourself a strip with pencil marks where the heads would be and use it to occasionally measure figure as your sketch progresses.

3. The cylinder is just ONE way to construct a body—You can also build a human figure using trapezoids and bold-like strokes., make reference marks or follow contour lines. Try them all if you have the time.

HOW TO TELL A BOY FROM A GIRL

1. The female sternum is smaller the that of the male

2. The sides of the male waist is longer then the female

3. The female pelvis is wider then the pelvis of the male.

4. The nipples of the female are positioned lower then those of the male.

....and, of course--the usual ways.....

SOME MEASUREMENT TIPS

1. The general size of the face is about the same size as a hand.

2. The upper arm is around 1 and 1 half heads

3. If the fingers are extended, the length of the lower arm is equal to around two heads.

ABOUT MY DRAWINGS

Having not done figures for a while, I decided to experiment. The first female is a pencil sketch. The second female is done in ink and is a character from a novel that my daughter is writing. She is very big into the female empowerment. The first male is just a 5 or ten minute quick sketch using a conte’ stick--it was a horrible mistake but I can't justify NOT posting the goofs--—never used the conte stic before and will spend some more time with it before committing anything else to paper-- and finally the the last male is a quickly sketched male using a mechanical pencil. Again, I place emphasis on the fact that I generally do portraits—don’t shoot the artist!

YOUR ASSIGNMENT FOR THE WEEK

1. Very simple—draw at least one male nude and one female nude.

2. Bonnie, this will be a breeze for you—everyone create a fantasy piece using a human figure. It does NOT have to be scantily clad women riding around on huge battle cats. It can be past, present or futuristic. The decision is entirely yours.

EVERYBODY HAVE FUN WITH THIS ONE.

Doing the course of the week, I will probably also put together a more respectable demo for you as well.

THIS WEEKS FIELD TRIP ARTIST OF THE WEEK IS

MONTREAL PAINTER—I REALLY THINK YOU WILL ENJOY THIS NEW ARTIST’S ABOVE EXCELLENT WORK. HE SHOULD BE TEACHING THIS PARTICULAR CLASS

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255345

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205381

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185242

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181710

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179785

AND BE SURE TO VISIT ERIC’S WEB SITE. HE IS AN INSTRUCTOR AT AN ATELIER AND HIS SPECIALTY IS THE HUMAN FIGURE. IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT BECOMING A STUDENT OF THE HUMAN BODY, THEN THIS IS CERTAINLY THE MAN AND THE INSTRUCTION TO PURSUE. NOTE THAT THE SITE PROMOTES THE ATELIER AND SO IS AN ADVERTISEMENT FROM ONE OF OUR MEMBERS BUT THE STUDENT GALLERY IS PHENOMONAL AND SPEAKS VOLUMES TO THE SKILLS OF ITS INSTRUCTORS.

Also: consider checking out the figure forum for inspiration.

ENJOY YOURSELVES!
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2005, 12:39 AM
Enthusiast
Cornwall, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: Basic 101: Class 14

Hi Jay,

Looks great! I'm hoping to get back into the drawing classes. Once again, life/stress interceded and I haven't touched my paintbrushes for ages, let alone a pencil.

So, for this week, I'm setting a goal to do something for the drawing class. I'm not going to stress out on trying to do all the classes I've missed, but if I get spare time, I will try.

The atelier in Montreal really intrigues me! Montreal is only an hour away from me and I travel there now each week (weather permitting) for painting lessons. I'll have to look further into this!

Thanks Barbara and Ann for your support.

Deb

My Blog / Website
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2005, 06:22 AM
A Local Legend
Johnstown, Pa.

Hails from United States

JayD
Wonderful demo! Have been looking forward to this class for a long time.

Hey Deb So glad you are back. You were missed!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2005, 06:26 AM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

Deb, drop me a pm and I will send you the secret link. We're glad to have you back in the class.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2005, 07:41 AM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Good morning All! JayD, thank you always for the work and time you put into this. I always love the stories and humor that comes with the writing of the class. I have never drawn or painted the human figure either, so I have no idea what I'll come up with.

Hi Deb!, I think of you often, have missed you, and am happy to see you around.

Hi Judi
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Lord of the Arts
Oxford, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Thanks JayD, this looks good. Thanks for the secret link too! :wink:

Good to see you again, Deb.

My Blog
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Lord of the Arts
Oxford, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Forgot to say that some people may not have seen the demo on figure drawing by Stoy a few months back. Hope it's OK if I mention it here. The link is here.

My Blog
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2005, 09:26 AM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

You know, Dave--I totally forgot about this demo--I am going to feature him for one of the artist of the week field trips but he is so diverse it is hard to find a place for the feature.

By all means--thanks for finding this and bringing it into the class for show and tell.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Enthusiast
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Jay - thanks for another great class!! I always look forward to the new classes, although the anticipation is mixed with a little fear. I wonder when I'll get over that - the fear that I absolutely won't be able to draw something.

Deb - great to see you back! I've also wondered where you were. I hope life is getting less stressful.

As for figure drawing, I took one class many years ago and wasn't very good at it. I hope I have improved since then. I guess we'll know by the end of the week.

I haven't had a chance to check the links yet. I hope to get back to them later today. I also have to finish last week's drawing and post it in lesson 13. But right now I have to go for my daily walk. We are getting one day of Spring before winter returns and I don't want to miss it. busy, busy, busy...

My Art Agent
My Blog
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2005, 10:59 AM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

Hey, Staci--I am sure you are going to do fine!

Everyone be sure to check out Stoy's weekly thread.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2005, 01:02 PM
A Local Legend
Johnstown, Pa.

Hails from United States

Please don't forget to rate this thread!!!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2005, 12:29 AM
A Local Legend
Iowa

Hails from United States

JayD you did very good
I do love to draw the human figure and some poses are very very tough to do.Easy??teehee How long do I have?lol

Last edited by SILKNSATIN : 03-08-2005 at 12:32 AM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2005, 12:44 AM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

As fast as you whip em out--35 minutes!

Actually, take as long as you need. I shall be very interested in seeing what everyone cranks out.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2005, 02:19 AM
A Local Legend
Iowa

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Basic 101: Class 14

Ok first one took longer then 35 min. lol
Now tomorrow I'll try the male.
9x12 4b pencil
Attached Images

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2005, 06:21 AM