WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2018, 07:31 PM
Lord of the Arts
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States
Re: Photorealism with Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Ammons
I've seen Millani's portraits before Delo. It is very fine work. But you can still tell they are paintings.

Yes, they do still look like paintings, I agree. Now the question is. . . why do they look like paintings?

Remove the reasons it looks like a painting, then apply what you want to it to bring it the rest of the way along. I am not the biggest fan of hyperrealism or photorealism personally, not because I am incapable, but because I just don't ever look at anything that closely and blow out the details or color like they often do in those paintings. This means, for me, that hyperrealism or photorealism are less real than something like a painting.

Delofasht.deviantart.com
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2018, 07:38 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Ellis: you certainly have the skills. Go for it. Patience is a huge part.

Alan: prayers my friend.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFMartin
Wow.....That guy's method is incredible, actually!

This guy was working with paint that had been conditioned with just the optimum amount of medium to flow precisely the way he required it for the fact he was painting. Not too stiff, and not too runny.

Notice the small, flat, bright, or filbert brushes that he uses? It is the use of these relatively small brushes that helps prevent the "carved granite" appearance to which I often refer. It is the use of larger brushes, and the absence of blending that creates such a carved granite look. These small brushes actually make the face appear like real skin--pores, and all !

Maybe itís my untrained inexperienced eye but I though exactly the opposite Bill. I have always though his paint had to be on the stiffer side. Obviously he has been doing this for a very long time and has his technique down pat but Iíve tried this with paint straight from the tube and with medium (in very very small amounts) and have a heck of a time controlling the paint and it not just smearing around. Of course part of that could be his surface too, Ive always tried doing it on panel and that surface might just be to smooth.

On a side note and hopefully not to hijack Ellisís thread but did anyone catch the brushes he was using? Iíve been trying to find small brush like that that will hold up to that kind of scrubbing without completely loosing there shape after a couple of sessions and havenít come up with anything.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2018, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Baltimore, MD

Hails from United States

Many years ago, a friend and I saw a hyperrealist work at LACMA -- one of those "Eight foot tall face" deals. My friend sneered: "I hate that airbrush s***" -- a comment I took personally, since I was an airbrush artist at the time. Stepping close to the painting in question, I saw that it was, in fact, executed in oils by hand.

So even if you do figure out how to paint an 8-foot face in oils, be prepared: People are going to classify you as an airbrush artist no matter how you do the work. (And there are still quite a few idiots out there who think that airbrushing is "cheating.")

The work of Richard Estes is more fascinating "in the paint" than in reproduction -- which is something I'm not sure I'd say of any other photorealistic artist. If you ever get the chance to see his work exhibited, get your nose right up to the surface. He's a genuinely great painter.

By contrast, Audrey Flack's work disappointed me when I finally got the chance to see an original. Frankly, I found her airbrushing sloppy. Of course, she did a lot of her work in the days before modern airbrush paints hit the market. One must respect the pioneers.

Regarding Bill Martin's comment: "These small brushes actually make the face appear like real skin--pores, and all!"

That brings up a point I've been mulling over in recent years. Why don't we ever see skin pores in oil portraits? You wouldn't expect to see such details in works with large, vigorous brushstrokes -- but why don't we see them in (say) works by David or Ingres?
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2018, 09:08 PM
Enthusiast

@scmelik.. M.Graham paints handle pretty much that way out of the tube. Maybe a few drops of oil. And thank you for you consideration but I'm not trying to make this thread about me. I think we could all learn from it.

@Derek.. Maybe I do have the skills.. Just from a technical standpoint I'm lacking. I'm looking for instruction on photorealism to jump hurdles like sinking, which supports, mediums, amounts, lighting. I really want that polished glowing look you see on the best paintings.

@Jcannon.. I think the most realistic skin I've seen is by "The Avenger" in the acrylic forum. He/she did a portrait of Mike Tyson, pores and all, not to long ago that is just amazing. x2 it being in acrylic. Also some work you can't tell it's a painting.

Last edited by Ellis Ammons : 05-01-2018 at 09:13 PM.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2018, 04:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCannon
That brings up a point I've been mulling over in recent years. Why don't we ever see skin pores in oil portraits? You wouldn't expect to see such details in works with large, vigorous brushstrokes -- but why don't we see them in (say) works by David or Ingres?

As a professional photographer i can shed some light on this. I have the full gear still though semi retired. I have cameras and lenses that can capture 100mb of data at extreme quality. I can photograph beautiful women and capture every blemish every pore on their face. I show them the result. They HATE it! The magazines HATE it! I dont get the comission. You can see where this is heading.

David and Ingres were masters of the esoteric and beautification of the human being. Their job was to show people in their natural but best light. That would mean bo moles,no pores,etc etc. Why didnt they? Because they new people would hate it.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2018, 08:08 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Raff: coincidence; I was just at the Frick on Friday and saw this stunning INGRES. I think it was the photoreal of its time no blemishes no pores.....just jaw dropping.

Ellis: have you thought about going acrylic all the way in this endeavor?
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2018, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcam
Raff: coincidence; I was just at the Frick on Friday and saw this stunning INGRES. I think it was the photoreal of its time no blemishes no pores.....just jaw dropping.

Ellis: have you thought about going acrylic all the way in this endeavor?

Im jealous Derek. I would love to see it in real life.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2018, 10:07 AM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Photorailists definitely need to paint acne for superior photo-reality!
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2018, 10:21 AM
Enthusiast

@derek.. yea I've thought about doing photorealism with acrylic. I've done some little things that turned out ok. But it takes alot more effort compared to oil. Like when you work at a micro 3mm space the acrylic dries almost instantly. But you can use a airbrush and mask for tiny gradations and soft edges.

Acrylics have the advantage in just about every aspect except that. First and foremost is that acrylic look better in the long run. The color is cleaner. The color shift is done. It doesn't crack. It will be just the way you painted it seemingly forever. With oils.. we all know how that goes.

Another downside of acrylics is the marketability. Eventually, one day acrylic painters will be looking down their noses at oil painters. And not the other way around
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2018, 10:23 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafless
Why didnt they? Because they new people would hate it.
And now imagine you didn't have someone teaching you what to like and not like. And you didn't take your pictures to make those girls happy.

See where I'm going with this. Please keep your opinions to yourself. k thanks

Last edited by Ellis Ammons : 05-02-2018 at 10:50 AM.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2018, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Ammons
And now imagine you didn't have someone teaching you what to like and not like. And you didn't take your pictures to make those girls happy.

See where I'm going with this. Please keep your opinions to yourself. k thanks

Nowhere have i deliberately obstructed or derailed this thread Ellis. Im extremely sorry you have interpreted it like this. My best to you and your endeavours my good friend.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2018, 11:30 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Ellis: just a thought. You probably know I start a lot of my oils with acrylic underpainting. I then isolate with a matte medium which gives a nice slight tooth. I know a few the old school purists poo poo this, but I have a painting I did 25 years ago in this procedure that is as fresh as the day I painted it. No yellowing or binding issues. Many artists paint this way. Would it be worth experimenting on a small scale?
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2018, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigalot
Photorailists definitely need to paint acne for superior photo-reality!

Haha. Whos going to want a full blown image on their wall of a pimply gorgeous girl.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2018, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffless
Haha. Whos going to want a full blown image on their wall of a pimply gorgeous girl.

Edit thought. An acne clinic!