WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2018, 10:42 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States
Re: Welcome to What's On Your Easel......May 2018

So, decided to stop in and see what you are all doing...

Delo...great sketch...as it is even 'unfinished' very strong...

Tom..love the florals, great work with the light..

Marcia...nice underpainting...look forward to seeing it develop

Nancy, your seascape is awesome..well done with the soft colour.
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2018, 12:14 PM
Lord of the Arts
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Thanks Becca! I really have been enjoying your recent works, the evocation of emotion is very interesting.

Nancy, your seascape is stellar, I like the frame too.f

Tom, I can never manage to get good photographs of my work. They are always okay, but never capture all the color right and refuse to be appropriately color adjusted with any digital tool.

Delofasht.deviantart.com
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2018, 01:10 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Delo...thank you for the kind mention...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2018, 03:53 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Marcia, I really love it when you do dark scenes - I keep trying it but falling short compared to your work!

#35   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2018, 04:38 PM
A WC! Legend

Awwww, Nancy, thanks!
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2018, 07:49 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Still playing around with color and value on this one:
Rainy Night on Market Street
Color Study, 12x12

It's better, I think, but still not quite there...

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

#37   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2018, 01:25 PM
Lord of the Arts
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Annie, it is looking pretty nice overall, wet night scenes are amazingly colorful paintings. The reflections of the street lamps appear brighter on the wet road than the source of the reflection which feels a bit off. The lit up sign above the bus does not feel like it is reflecting in the wet road to me, it may be that the bright light on the road that we see is actually that one, but it doesn’t line up with the bus reflection if that is what the bright is supposed to be. Also, I think the sky could be darker at the upper left corner of the painting to put emphasis on the recession of atmosphere and space as it progresses toward the city. Lastly, getting the skyholes in the trees may help with the feeling of space as well.

It really is an incredible painting, it would take me ages to complete such a painting with so many details and surfaces.

Delofasht.deviantart.com
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2018, 02:45 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delofasht
Annie, it is looking pretty nice overall, wet night scenes are amazingly colorful paintings. The reflections of the street lamps appear brighter on the wet road than the source of the reflection which feels a bit off. The lit up sign above the bus does not feel like it is reflecting in the wet road to me, it may be that the bright light on the road that we see is actually that one, but it doesn’t line up with the bus reflection if that is what the bright is supposed to be. Also, I think the sky could be darker at the upper left corner of the painting to put emphasis on the recession of atmosphere and space as it progresses toward the city. Lastly, getting the skyholes in the trees may help with the feeling of space as well.

It really is an incredible painting, it would take me ages to complete such a painting with so many details and surfaces.
Good points, Delo. Yes, I've already adjusted (since I posted this) the brightness of the left-most streetlamp, and also already plan do so for the second one to it's right. I've been confused by the lack of a direct reflection on the street for the lit up marquee vs the very bright reflection of the street lamp. It's alreay on my list of things to look at again before proceeding with the final painting. I guess photographs actually can lie! Your suggestion on making the left uppermost portion of the sky just slightly darker makes sense...I think. Since there was a steady rain at the moment the photo was taken, the sky actually looked fairly uniform - I guess it was the rain falling and the consistent low cloud cover. So I'm not certain in this case whether it's better to paint what we expect to see in daylight (sky getting lighter as it gets farther away) or what the photo revealed. I've debated that to myself and haven't yet resolved it. And finally, yes, the tree needs a few more skyholes. They were part of how I originally painted the tree, but I didn't like the fussiness of my original approach - painting a lot of small branches with sky in the middle - so I painted over to make the area read as a mass. In fact, I significantly darkened the building on the far left just to try to better balance the tree. But you're right I do need to add some back in, mostly around the margins of the tree, and that was the plan. Since it's already such a large element, though, I don't want to put too much more emphasis on it by creating a lot of value differentiation areas within it. I probably should have stressed that this was intended as just a color study, not a completed piece. I very much appreciate your thoughts on the painting - it's always so useful to have a second set of eyes viewing what one has done - and I'll review everything you've said before embarking on the final piece.

― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 05-09-2018 at 02:56 PM.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2018, 05:55 PM
A WC! Legend

Nice work Annie, it sounds like you already know where you are going next with this one, looking forward to seeing the next installment. One thing the surprised me when I went to a Nocturnes exhibit (http://www.bowdoin.edu/art-museum/ex...-visions.shtml) a few years ago, was how bright the whites were! Although the rain might dull things down in your case, as with not making the sky a uniform grey, brightening the whites will give it a nice punch.

I have been dabbing at this one. Session before last I started in on the joshua tree, and after I cleaned my brushes, took a second look. The branches on the right all lined up perfectly. [Facepalm] Yesterday I rectified that, and I think in the next session, I will elongate the trunk a bit.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2018, 06:22 PM
Lord of the Arts
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Oh it’s looking nice now Marcia!

Annie, as a color study it feels a great success already! Does that mean you plan a larger more complex work for it then? Also, cameras lie to us all the time regarding color, value, and even edges (as distorted by the lens type and distance).

My paintings are almost dry enough for glazing, and I am excited, this is one of my favorite parts. With a bit of glazing, I can more easily see where darks need to be deepened or areas that need to be lightened further.

Delofasht.deviantart.com
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2018, 07:43 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Marcia, thank for the good word and also for the tip on the brightness of the lights in a nocturne. I'll consider that as I proceed. Your desert piece is really looking good. I had thought the red van was a little bright at one point, but either you toned it down slightly or the addition of other colorful elements nearby did the trick. One thing I wonder about is whether you need the clump of very dark bushes (or?) in the lower right. They seem to draw the eye a lot. But maybe you have plans for them already - it's always hard to comment on a WIP. For some reason, I also want to see some other bush on the other side that maybe continues from the other bushes nearby and is part way off the picture. It just seems it need something there for a little more balance, but then it also may still be because those dark forms on the other side draw my eye so much. I really like the way you've painted the Joshua Tree and the mountains in the background are wonderful - they provide a great sense of depth. This is a fun one.

Thanks, Delo, yes, I'm planning on a much larger work for the nocturne. I'm also thinking of expanding it to a landscape format, as somehow it's bothering me that the streetlight on the far left side of the street doesn't include the post, which right now is out of sight. And doing that would also help with the placement of the marquee, which is smack dab in the middle of the painting. It's funny how badly I want to put things right in the middle. I'm conscious of the issue as I start, but somehow as I edit there so often tends to be an element that (behind my back?) all on its own decides to migrate to the middle. In this case, since I've got the vanishing point to pull attention to the right, I may be able to get away with the middle marquee issue - I've just got to do some sketching to see what works best.

Delo, what kind of glazing do you have in mind? It almost sounds like you'll use a dark color?

― Sir Thomas Browne

#42   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2018, 08:27 PM
Lord of the Arts
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Annie, I always glaze with transparent pigments and they all tend to be fairly dark colors out of the tube (for their color range) Indian Yellow, Transparent Oxide Yellow, Prussian Blue, Quinacridone Rose, Transparent Oxide Red. While the colors are very dark out of the tube, when glazed over brighter areas they do not deepen the value too much unless applied too heavily.

Delofasht.deviantart.com
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2018, 06:13 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Marcia, I was just scrolling down here to advise you, and Annie already did it. It looks like you have too many clumps of bushes at this point. A bit confusing... Maybe you could meld a few of them together so that the bus becomes the more important object?

Annie, I love your scene!

#44   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2018, 08:19 PM
A WC! Legend

Thanks Nancy.

The clump on the right is going to be a large group of yuccas, and the creote bushes don't have leaves yet, and there will be some Cholla cactus (per the client's request) on the left, which should obscure the 'twiggy' creosote bushes.
It does look very lopsided at the moment. I will be glad when it is done. For a commission, it hasn't been too bad, but I have a head full of better stuff to paint.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2018, 03:19 PM

I love the night scene, Annie.