WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2018, 02:19 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... May 2018

Thanks Annie, for a moment you had me worried...never know how something is going to play with everyone else....and I have no secrets of how to paint quickly.. I just do...

and Mark, yes...and I love the distortion of the reflection in the mirror...and just generally love that style painting...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2018, 10:55 AM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Becca, you have created another gorgeous, thought provoking work. What provokes me most is that you ought to have your work hanging in the finest galleies!

I like the second of Mark's lovelies best too, it reminds me very much of Becca's style.

Yesterday, I bought a shubbery to replace a repellent oleander that I could not wait to see gone. It is a Chihuahan sage, not quite as full as the one in the pic, but hoping someday it shall be.
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2018, 11:05 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Marcia...the sage is gorgeous...you are making some good landscape choices...you will enjoy them...

and thank you so much for your kind words....they are heartening at the moment...

btw....titling this one "Dropping In"....
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2018, 03:02 PM
A Local Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Was so hoping to get some painting in today but Nooooooo. Worked some in the garden weeding etc, went out and bought Cow Poo to put on the flower beds and had family ovr for BBQ and that took us to bed time

Tomorrow I have a doctors appointment more investigations etc blah blah I **** scared but what do you do
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2018, 03:20 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from European Union

I didn't get to paint plein air either. We first went to a Japanese garden but we had to move forward to see cows in pasture. My bengal cat was impressed and curious and a bit scared of them too because there were so many of them (30 ? total). By the time I set up easel to paint them the lady (care taker) came to take them inside so no painting done. Bad luck, I guess, today!
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2018, 03:31 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Mark....does sound like a typical Sunday...sorry you weren't able to paint...good luck with the doc tomorrow..

Mosc, cows are nearly impossible to plein air...have tried multiple times...they move more than you would think
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2018, 03:57 PM
A WC! Legend

And cows usually end up in your face because they are incredibly curious! Or they run in the other direction. Sorry the plein air plans didn't work out for anybody.

Mark, Good Luck with the Dr's Appt. Not knowing can be the hardest part.
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2018, 05:58 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Delo...finally had a look at your video....well done, I think it turned out fine and you remind me of another tenant here in my building...he does have a bit more hair, but in general you made me think of him...good luck with your venture.
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2018, 09:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Becca, thanks, and I find I look like everyone. It is my polymorphic features I am sure, usually I get Orlando Bloom or Johnny Depp or someone’s cousin/brother/nephew or something like that.

Went to the library today to return some books and found they had an artist teaching a how to draw class in the community room. Yeah, so I did drawings of simple trees on a page of provided paper (decent stuff for a class actually, Bristol single ply I think). I had come in late so only did 5 of the full 7 that they were doing, the artist was teaching how different strokes could be used, I missed short strokes (which I know and use often) and stippling (which I almost never use because I do not much care for the look). There were three methods of scribble strokes, short strokes, long, stippling, and side pencil shading. I found the class very useful for learning how to teach others and stroke their ego so they feel good about themselves. Probably have to attend another one, though I purposefully left the drawings of trees there with some notes around them and on the back of the paper. Very useful class.

Delofasht.deviantart.com
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2018, 10:31 AM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Yesterday must have been a pox on painting day. I thought I was doing well until I finished for the day, cleaned my brushes, then realized I had made my joshua tree very symetrical, I had lined up the branches on one side perfectly. Easy to fix, but sheesh, how did I not notice that while I was painting?
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2018, 10:57 AM
Lord of the Arts

Marcia, I hope it can be fixed easily. It is always so time consuming to make corrections but those things happen when painting and painting is not an easy process. Is it the night scene your working on?
I was wondering is there anybody else here in oily rag who have trouble finishing painting/paintings? I still am struggeling with that and it causes that my paintings are never finished. I'm sad becasue I'd like to see them (at least some of them) finished but it just seems impossible. If I happen to get a painting finished then it would require 50 hours +50 h + 50 h and so on work on it. I don't know anymore what to do? Thinking of NOT FINISHING any anymore. Only stop at one point and start a new one.

Becca, your right cows move too much and they are difficult but I found a way to do them the other summer when I did some plein air of them.
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2018, 11:56 AM
A WC! Legend

I have more trouble getting started every day, than finishing a piece, but I do have 2 that are 'this close' to being done, which have sat for a couple of years now. Often what determines whether a painting is finished is if I need it for a show.
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2018, 12:38 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

I think it is often a matter of knowing when to stop....

For some reason my most recent painting has had very slight reception...just isn't playing that well and I'm not sure why...???....open to comments....looking forward to doing the next already though so anxious for it to dry enough so I can claim the easel to paint again...should have time for at least this one more.
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2018, 02:05 PM
A Local Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Docs appointment went, need to see a surgeon and discuss next move
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2018, 02:56 PM
Lord of the Arts

Mark, sounds serious!
Becca, maybe the solution is to paint like you do all night or even more until finished! I might try that. It could work. Right now I don't have any comments for the second problem you mentioned but I'll give it more thought over night.
Marcia, for me it's the other way around, I don't usually have trouble starting, even looks ok at the beginning stages and I have high hopes at that point but when it come close to finish ....
Delo, I watched your video and it's wonderful! Nice meeting you!