WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2018, 04:17 PM
A WC! Legend

Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... May 2018

Rather than hijack the woye thread, I just wanted to mention that the thread on yellow was very timely. I just did the underpainting for a nocturne that will have yard lights in the background, and warm light from a picture window in the middle ground. Besides the info on yellows, someone mentioned caput mortuum so his shadows would not go green. This is a good reminder as I move forward with this piece. I have an idea how I am going to paint the lights so they 'glow', but the halos will remain in the yellow spectrum and not turn greenish, which could happen if my shadows are blue-black. The nocturne palette is tricky.
Here is the reference photo I am using:

It took some finessing to get here from how it looked when I took the shot.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2018, 04:27 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Marcia, hey I'm glad you found the thread useful. It's quite long, but there were a lot of really interesting points of views and tips in it.

Also, here is a link to my Patreon page, the video is right in the overview welcome area. There is still a lot of work that needs to be done, goals to set, wording in the overview section needs redoing now that the video says most of that. This is like a soft launch, just getting people to see it for now and get feedback from friends and such. Going to really go hard on it a few weeks with promoting it, pretty sure I have an uphill battle because I do not really have a following on any social media, yet somehow I have to reach endless thousands of people. I am hopeful that I can get some support from some of the manufacturers by reviewing some of their products.

Then when all this is done I'll need to build a new webpage as well, since my priorities have shifted so much from when I started all this.

Delofasht
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2018, 08:31 PM
A WC! Legend

You are off to a great start, I love the "How to Patreon" pen & ink. If I have any criticism, it is a couple of technical issues with the video. You sound like you are inside a tin can, and if you stood off to the side a bit, the PiP in the upper left could be made bigger so the viewer can better see your work, yes? That was a very cool, surprising touch when that came up.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2018, 09:31 PM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Marcia, thanks for the notes. Yeah I was half-pleased with the video, I left the right side open to place cards in the video to the finished pieces from what was in the PiP window, as I get them done of course. The end part was supposed to leave room for a Patreon clickable link, but I gotta get like a “few” 987 more subscribers first.

A side effect of being hyper focused on improving my skills is that I totally ignored social media, so basically no one knows about my YouTube channel.

Audio quality was poor though? It sounded fine in my playbacks on both my devices, a few echoes though, probably because I filmed it inside a can though. My “house” might as well be a tin can, it is tiny (itty bitty townhouse apartment).

Delofasht

Last edited by Delofasht : 05-05-2018 at 09:33 PM.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2018, 09:41 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

I still need to look at the video....and will later...thanks for the link...

been painting ... here is the drawing and painting ...maybe still need to tweak a few things but canvas is covered...sorry for the horrible glare...will try for a better pic at some point...but taking a break now...btw it's 36x48 inches...

Name:  hell drawing.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  359.3 KB

Name:  hell.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  409.9 KB
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2018, 10:08 PM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Wow Becca, you sure do work fast. I really enjoy your direct process though, even envy it really. No rush on watching the video, it is just the Patreon welcome one, going to do a separate one for my studio space, walking everyone through the “mess”. Probably sometime next week.

Delofasht
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2018, 10:30 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Delo...I do paint fairly fast...and do love the direct technique...spent a lot of time getting it figured out....

still will get to the video..

and I did tweak...stopping here

Name:  Hell 1 resize.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  389.1 KB
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2018, 10:56 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Mark, very nice to be in demand like that! I hope the other person contacts you. Does the gallery have a record so that you could contact them?

Becca, I'm looking forward to seeing your next painting!

Nancy, such a sweet kitten. She (it must be a she, right?) reminds me of a cat I had years ago, Noche.

Delo, how exactly does Patreon work? Have you had sales through it?

Marcia, that ref looks wonderful. I've been planning some night shots of mid-century homes, which we have a lot of here in the NW. But the wide vista of a desert shot like yours should make for a way more interesting painting. But can't you just wait for the first layer to dry and use a fairly opaque yellow for the lights?

I've been very busy with a project so don't have a lot of chatting time... but have a funny observation that I wanted to share. I've set my computer to announce the time on the hour, which is a handy reminder to stretch etc. But today I've been so wrapped up in my project that I could swear that it announced 8PM only a few minutes after it announced 7PM! <<laughing at self

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 05-05-2018 at 11:01 PM.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2018, 11:07 PM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Annie, Patreon is a subscription based model, where patrons pay a monthly or per creation dollar amount and receive something in return for their patronage. For me, I provide them high resolution images, work in progress shots, special behind the easel video footage, and even limited edition prints based on how much they pay per creation. I only make one or two completed pieces a month and will maintain that so no one pays out like crazy (patrons can also set caps per month so they do not pay more than they can afford in a month). The concept of getting what you pay for is fantastic.

It does unfortunately require having quite a large following for it to work, and I do not really, but I will see if people can share it with friends and family members to get the word out. Right now I am in soft launch kind of mode, where I am building it and beta testing it with everyone before I start production. I have a lot of content planned, but do not want to show too much of it until I have the whole page worded and arranged properly. I expect it will take awhile before it gets fully off the ground, but with any luck I will get enough going to not have to do commission work eventually.

Delofasht
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2018, 11:12 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Annie...???...you have issues with this one???
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2018, 02:02 AM
A Local Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Really cool Becca. That is going to be a great painting MT
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2018, 02:04 AM
A Local Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... May 2018

Some Sunday inspiration for you all:

Two figures two different styles

#58   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2018, 02:06 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Thanks Mark...the figures are both great....I do love the second esp ...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2018, 02:07 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by !becca
Annie...???...you have issues with this one???

Oh no, Becca! My apologies. I had opened the thread and read to what was at that time the last reply, but then got distracted. When I returned, instead of refreshing, I just filled in my reply, responding to what I saw on the page. You had posted in the meantime. Very sorry!

It's another fascinating narrative painting from you! There's clearly an interesting story there, but you've left it to the viewer to imagine it for him/herself, which makes things interesting. I also notice that you've got a very good handle on anatomy. And Delo's right - you really paint fast! Please send me some of that as I'm just the opposite.

Mark, thanks for the figure paintings. Like Becca, I'm primarily drawn to the second one, but then I noticed that the woman in the first has glasses on, and there appear to be cleaning materials/detritus on the floor around her, so all that made it pretty interesting too.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 05-06-2018 at 02:12 AM.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2018, 02:13 AM
A Local Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

I love the second figure too Becca. I like the fact the way the reflected model is bathed in light.