WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2018, 09:26 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter As the Oily Rag Burns..... May 2018

Spontaneous combustion in this thread!!! Post your non-oil works...photos..or just come and chat...Everyone is welcome...!!!
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog

Last edited by !becca : 05-01-2018 at 09:30 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2018, 10:05 AM

Hails from United States
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... May 2018

My first oil painting still won't be done for a little while yet, so here's a charcoal portrait from a few years ago for the sake of participation. Cheers!

11x14
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2018, 10:36 AM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

That's a great sketch, looking forward to seeing the painting!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2018, 11:51 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Paul...great sketch...look forward to your paintings..

May nearly sneaked up on me....knew it was coming, just other things on my mind...

Have been spending some time working out the composition and concept for my next one or two..after a long break feels sorta good to be back to the easel...until the next break I guess..still have much to settle so anything could pop up anytime...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2018, 04:07 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Paul, man, nice one! I need to do more work in charcoal. . . got all this charcoal in a drawer just going to waste. I rather like the look of Charcoal, but it can be dusty. Thanks for sharing buddy, reminds me that I can use up other media in the preliminary steps more frequently. I tend to just throw paint on the palette and start working the painting too often probably.

So, May got here, and I still haven't managed to make my video for my studio space, weekend was WAY busier than I expected. Cleaned house on Saturday. Did hanging day on Sunday. Then Monday had to help the mother in law with some things and generally just be a good son, ended the day with making notes on what I want to do in my welcome video for Patreon. I am really trying to avoid just doing what everyone else is doing. . . for a lot of reasons, but mostly because they already do that better. So figuring out some ways to engage and encourage pledges while being able to spend most of my time focused on creating instead of fulfilling social obligations.

Trying to get to my studio space video done soon, hung up a kind of picture hanger cleat to show my wife how this thing would work. It's holding up a line of panels, papers, and boards now and I think it looks pretty good actually. Used up some left over hardboard attached to the metal cleat by some nuts and bolts, gives me a modular way to keep building it up. This thing is only hitting 2 studs and will hold up to 200 lbs, so my larger cleat should hold several times that amount without worry as it'll distribute the weight across more studs and have a secondary cross cleat at the bottom for larger panels. The most unfortunate thing is that Home Depot and Lowes no longer will do a bevel rip on a board anymore for me, so I have to find someone with a table saw or a long flat area with a lengthwise whole that I can run my portable skill saw set at a bevel down. . . Ugh, got random wood lying in a closet waiting for this. I might have another solution, holds less weight, but it could work. . . Will think on it and report back if I find it will work for what I want.

Delofasht
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2018, 10:42 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Becca, thanks for posting the thread!

Paul, that's a terrific drawing! She looks familiar but I can't place her. I'll look forward to the painting.

Delo, you're so ambitious! Busy but it sounds like you're getting a tremendous amount of stuff done. Good for you. I've had masonite cut for me at a local lumber/hardware store. I don't know if all lumber places do it, and they may do it only for raw materials that you buy yourself, but it might be worth asking. I'd love to see a picture of all the modifications you're doing for your studio.

I've been painting, a lot! I attended a life painting session on Saturday and I'm putting finishing touches on another painting too. Both are posted in the painting from life thread. But the photo of the figure doesn't look the same on WC as it did on my phone - when posted, it looks too dark and fuzzy - so I'm going to have re-edit and repost it.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2018, 06:07 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sevilla

Hails from Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delofasht
.. ended the day with making notes on what I want to do in my welcome video for Patreon.
Delo, does it cost anything for you to start that page (Patreon) or maintain it during the year?

Becca, hi! Thanks for starting a new one.

Annie, I see 9 similar posts in a row from you. I wonder how many copies WC does for me!

.. going back to painting now ... hope everyone's painting!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2018, 09:38 AM

Hails from United States

Mtpalms, Becca, Delo, Annie- thanks!

Delo- I'm not sure what your setup is, but if all I had was a skill saw to rip a bevel, I would find exactly where the saw needs be for the cut, then clamp another (nice and straight) board onto the board that's getting cut so it can act as a straight edge/rail to run against for the length of the cut. Not sure if that made sense, or is even helpful, but good luck with your project either way

Annie- that's Jackie Evancho, you might remember her from America's Got Talent a several years ago. Actually, she's an excellent artist too now as far as I know!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2018, 11:31 AM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Annie, well maybe just a little ambitious, just really devoting myself to artwork that I enjoy all the time instead of needing to supplement with whatever I can get (often times some graphic design work, which I actually do not find interesting at all). Local home improvement stores still do cross cuts and rips, just can't do bevel rips anymore, so all my hardboard that I purchased a short time ago was cut down to very manageable sizes for me. It was 5 cuts, but unusual dimensions, for more panoramic landscapes and long vertical portraits (kind of a fun dimension that I rather like). When I finish up the rest of the changes I will be sure to post them, but it'll be a few weeks out from now at the very earliest.

Paul, pretty much my plan, beyond making a saw sled, I need to make a rudimentary attachment for my table so that I can mount the sled and clamp the board in place so that it doesn't move while I cut. That's the really hard part actually, because I don't have a wood working table right now (haven't for a few years now actually, one of the things I had to give up when moving). So my option is to figure out how to do it that there is no chance of scratching the kitchen table. Tricky stuff.

Moscatel, Patreon makes it's money by taking a small percentage of the amount pledged to me. I lose right around 10% of the total amount to processing and site upkeep costs, extremely affordable really. I like the model of people getting what they pay for, so Patreon is very appealing I must say.

Delofasht
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2018, 02:57 PM
A Local Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

I dont know what I am up to at the moment Just feels that way somehow
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2018, 03:41 PM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

I feel ya there Mark, feels like moansday to me honestly. Blah.

That aside, watched a nice youtube video today and did a portrait sketch in Sketchbook, then kind of painted it a bit. Proportions and likeness just aren't there yet, but hey it's digital so I can go back and work on it as much as I like. As an interesting note, if you didn't know, Sketchbook is now free:
completely, full version, including that amazing perspective drawing/painting tool. Yeahhh.... and it has a flipbook feature for making some rudimentary animations. It is rare that I find a tool that I used to use a lot become a favorite again so easily.

Delofasht
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2018, 04:08 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Paul, that's a terrific expression you have put on your subject. I'm looking forward to seeing your oil paintings!

I've been running in and out recently, so I missed yesterdays work posted here. So far, we've not seen any tornadoes, and I sincerely hope it stays that way. I only have one little red rose that's bloomed so far because of the delayed summer. I would show it to you if I could, but I'm still having trouble trying to get my camera to post for me, so I'm sending you one of my older ones, just to get some color into the first page of May!

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2018, 09:51 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Mark, if I knew what I was doing would probably just scare me

Nancy one rose is better than none....thanks for the colour! thats a gorgeous painting...

have spent 2 days deciding the canvas size for my next one, and before long have no idea where i will be going with these paintings...space is restricted here...anyway did decide and next comes the drawing part..
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2018, 10:42 AM
A Local Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Thanks Delo and Hee Hee Becca, glad I have like minded people on here who get what I am talking about. Most people just think I am crazy ( they may be right ), the more time goes on the more convinced I am that crazy is good.

Well I have all but finished a number of Landcapes and as usual an a little unsure, I do however have two more blank canvases and itchy brushes so its yehaa !!

Spring Salom closes tommorow and I am in touch with my buyer. Now to sell a whole bunch more.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2018, 11:38 AM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Mark, I think it completely depends on the definition of "crazy". Personally, I take the comment as a compliment. . . interestingly, I consider talent an insult (I worked hard to get to the level of skill I am at. . . it wasn't given to me by chance or luck). Pretty sure one has to be crazy to devote tens of thousands of hours to just getting better at art.

Nancy, I really enjoy painting flowers, last one I did a few years ago:

It is from Dewi's New Adenium photo. I wrote it on the back along with the pigments used and a little on the techniques so it could be maintained by the owner in the future should they desire, or they could compare it if they like. I took some liberties with the light, as the reference felt a bit dark for my tastes.

Delofasht