WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2018, 01:54 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States
Re: Oil-from-life challenge, May 2018: optional plein air theme

Hey, ronsu, thanks for the encouraging words!

Geoff, your portrait already shows a lot of personality so it seems like a good start from what I can see.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

#17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2018, 03:47 PM

Japanese maple, painted plein air looking out from inside the canopy. It was a large tree for this type of maple.
Attached Images

#18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2018, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

Very nice, Tom! I like the red maple against the green color complement background. Nice varied edges, too. And a cool zoomed-in composition. All really nice!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2018, 09:56 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Geoff, what you propose is what I do, start in the middle values, get color placed everywhere about the right hue and close in value, then build up lights and darks. There are a huge number of artists that work dark to light, and while I know it works for them, it has never been my approach. A far better painter than myself works in a similar manner to what I do, found him recently and was relieved to find out I was not the only artist that works like this.

Delofasht
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2018, 12:46 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delofasht
Geoff, what you propose is what I do, start in the middle values, get color placed everywhere about the right hue and close in value, then build up lights and darks. There are a huge number of artists that work dark to light, and while I know it works for them, it has never been my approach. A far better painter than myself works in a similar manner to what I do, found him recently and was relieved to find out I was not the only artist that works like this.

Delo, I'm just curious about that artist you mention - who is it? I had a class with a very good instructor who teaches the same/similar method with other elements as well and I find it works quite well for portrait and figure painting. She also recommends starting the painting with mid-gray toned surface, as it makes it easier to judge colors.

― Sir Thomas Browne

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2018, 06:57 AM

I learned to paint from dark to light when I first started oil painting and have found it works best for me. I’ve tried other approaches, but always go back to dark to light. Perhaps it works for me because I always tone my canvases with a mid-range color, usually burnt sienna, which helps me judge colors better than white. The reddish brown color is also a nice complement to the colors I use most in landscapes, green and blue.

Thanks for the comments, Grotius. I’ve been painting mostly in the studio lately, with only a few plein air attempts. I used to paint plein air a lot, but find it much more challenging these days. It’s so much harder to capture the light and composition compared to my iPad, although I will admit that colors are truer outdoors.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2018, 02:19 AM
Veteran Member

My instructor's advice to try middle values first -- two middle values -- was in the context of portraits and figure painting. I'm not sure what he'd say about landscape painting, but I tried his approach plein air today. It worked reasonably well. I liked saving the darkest accents and lightest lights until last.

Probably the main issue with the picture is composition. That's how it is for many of my plein air paintings: I don't spend enough time on the design of the picture. In this case, I did do an ink study before hand (see below), but I should've done studies from more than one vantage point. Still, it was a gorgeous day, the passersby were friendly, and the painting turned out pretty well. "House in Wesley Heights," oil on canvas panel, 11" x 14."

Study in ink and wash:

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2018, 07:38 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

I'm putting the finishing touches on this one, but maybe it really is already finished. Can't tell.
Gaylene's Straw Flowers, 11x14 oil on canvas

The last time the background looked greener than in IRL, and now it looks grayer. The joys of online photos.

― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 05-08-2018 at 08:14 PM.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2018, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member

Annie, it looks finished to me! But then I'm a sucker for flowers. I know it's possible for me to overwork a nice painting like that.

What's the old saying -- we need two people to make a picture? One to paint it, the other to make the painter stop when it's done.

But don't listen just to me. I'd be interested to hear what others think.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2018, 11:53 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotius
Annie, it looks finished to me! But then I'm a sucker for flowers. I know it's possible for me to overwork a nice painting like that.

What's the old saying -- we need two people to make a picture? One to paint it, the other to make the painter stop when it's done.

But don't listen just to me. I'd be interested to hear what others think.

Heh...yeah, it may be that I took it a step too far. The pink flowers were challenging - straw flowers with lots of tiny petals. The flowers as I painted them are quite abstracted compared to the flowers IRL. I'm happy with the color and value though.

― Sir Thomas Browne

#26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2018, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member

Those pinks just make me wanna cry. Don't touch those!
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2018, 02:17 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from European Union

Have been lazy lately but finally yesterday went to paint plein air. This summer I want to paint a group of paintings of certain kind of buildings. To this location I had to take train and boat and I wanted to try how does it really work to paint on a note book with oils and then carry it back home when still wet pages. Answer is: it doesn't -> so I need to develop a "carrier" for this thing. Somehow I did manage to bring the wet notebook back. My idea to paint on a note book is I wish to participate to drawscrawl events in other cities. Some are quite active groups and they draw frequently together but I need to carry a note book for those events.

First plein air: "Fortress Ruins", oil on gesso note book, size: little bit bigger than hand. The birds did stay there with me for two hours taking bath in a bond staring at me. When I moved to a 2nd place I understood why -> I was sitting on a grass lawn that was their feeding place, they were waiting for me to move away so that they could come to eat.

The second one: "In Line", oil on gesso paper, size: small

#28   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2018, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

Moscatel, those are really neat! Do you know what weight the paper is in your notebook? Or the brand of the notebook? I've never tried using oils on paper, but the effect you've achieved is pretty cool.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2018, 02:19 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from European Union

Grotius, good job done with the plein airs this month. I like a lot "House in Wesley Heights"! Thanks for commenting mine. The note book has a label behind and it's actually watercolor paper, acid free, 180 g/m2. I don't know how much it is in US measures. The brand name is Zecchi, I bought it in my trips to Florence earlier. Painting plein airs to a note book like that helps me with storage paintings. There're already so many paintings here in my studio that I can't fit much more. Enjoyable plein air May to you Grotius & everyone else!
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2018, 11:26 PM

Hails from United States

I finally had time to paint from life. This was a challenge to paint a 20minute painting each day for 5 days. These were painted from life. Small 4x8s 20 min not including sketching and mixing.