WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air > Studio Paintings from Plein Air References
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Pinedale, Wyoming

Re: Studio easel? I'm ready to shell out!

And....it's.... a..............

Yep. A Sorg.

It's great, too.

Here is my decision process:
It's HARD to get really good, detailed information about most of the easels in the catalogs without going to a store to physically see them, and for me, that just wasn't possible. They'll tell you how great they are, but for specifics you have to really dig, and I was having trouble trusting that the construction, hardware, etc was as good as they said it was on the highly promoted main-stream catalogs. David Sorg had a website where I could see some details, and when I emailed, I got quick answers from not just a customer service person, but the guy who designed the thing. That was a really big selling point for me, and the other was that I really liked the counterbalance over a winch system. (At least it seemed more attractive to me, as I said, I haven't really tried out a winch or crank-type model, but I knew what I didn't want was a ratchet or pin system of holding the canvas.)
So, I placed my order over the phone with Mr. S, (He was wonderfully pleasant and delightful to deal with) and got my new baby!!! (Jerry's carries them too, but I guessed it would make more sense to place the order with the designer, since the price was the same both places. Hopefully he gets a better cut that way...)
Here are some photos:

My old piece of junk that I am replacing... See Ya!

My kids on the box - it comes on a freight truck and is pretty big. I couldn't carry it by myself, but I could hold one end and drag it.

The nice job packing - everything was well braced, cross tied and safe in there.

Megan helping me install the caster wheels - pretty easy assembly.

The thing of beauty!!
Now, if I can just do it justice!!!
Thanks for all your help - this was a rewarding process!
Cristy
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Breckenridge, CO

Hails from United States

Thank you so much for the info and pics of the Sorg. I am ready to get a decent studio easel and you have sold me on the Sorg! I will contact David asap!
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2010, 10:54 PM

klopfenstein h-frame - yes!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Cheyenne, Wyoming

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi Cristy,
I have a lobo that I built some years ago from pine. I couldn't find what I wanted and most of the easels were too small for me. So, I built it to my specifications and I have to say that it's the best easel that I have ever owned. Of coarse it helps if you have the right tools to build one.

I live in Cheyenne and I know what you mean about finding a good art supply store. Fortunately, we have Meiningers and Jerry's Artarama both within a hundred miles.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2010, 07:09 PM
São Paulo (Brazil) and Paris (France)

Hails from United Nations

I bought several easels in the last two years.
A three legged easel cheap around 60$ and it was okay to start with. But it was cheaply made and could not support large canvas's.
I paint in Sao Paulo - Brazil and I bough another easel H framed with a pull locketto raise and lower the painting. I still use it as an extra easel for canvas that go to maxi 55 inches in height not bad but insufiscient if you dream about doing monster abstract...
So, on arrival in Paris - France I went to the GEANT des Beaux arts which produces and sells all art materials gigantic shops around 10,0002feet on average. They had a really good easel with a wrench handle that raises or lowers the easel it can take canvas up to 300cm in height !!! 118inches good for Pollock & C°, the build was very good solid Palisandre wood oiled. The fixations were brass and it was heavy and solid on wheels that block.
It cost 500€ = 650US$

I saw in the Blick catalogue some great looking easels with double masts at a heavy price around 2000US$ one even had a motor. The easel I have is great should last a lifetime...the more time the merryer
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 12:06 AM

Christy A, Does your Sorg lock down on the Canvas holder so that the floating action can be stopped? I mean, so that if you were to press too hard on the bottom canvas rest, that the whole frame wouldnt move?

I was trying to figure that out from the pictures. A competing easel does have a lockdown screw ( Crafttech Sienna Counterweight Easel) , but is also more expensive.