Home Forums Explore Subjects Plein Air Paint box on Tripod

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    jman0war

I have a metal paint box very much like this one, and i’d like to attach it onto a camera tripod just like this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtYhRe5gQab/

Is there some sort of attachment piece i need to bolt onto the underside of my metal box?

Bartc

Yes, you can buy one from Judsonsart.com (Guerrilla Painter brand) and glue or bolt it on the bottom. https://www.judsonsart.com/collections/diy-accessories-parts-hardware-1/products/guerrilla-painter-universal-tripod-mount-kit

Alternately, you can buy a 1/4×20 threaded socket piece at most hardware stores and figure out your easiest way to attach it. All tripods and cameras use that universal size: 1/4″x20.

As said above you need a fixture with a 1/4-20 thread on the boxes bottom. The fixture needs to be flush with the boxes bottom so you need to drill a hole in the box when attaching… say the Judson device. This fixture will allow the tripod to screw onto the box…. but.
            Then you need some sort of tripod quick release-lever gadget to make that handy to do. These are sold at camera shops if your tripod did not come with one.
            I’d also mention when locating the fixture, put it at the point of ballance when the box is open and a panel and the boxes contents are fitted to it. This will be further towards the back then at first you’d think. That will help keep the box level in use. Enjoy!
            -Dave

Bartc

As said above you need a fixture with a 1/4-20 thread on the boxes bottom. The fixture needs to be flush with the boxes bottom so you need to drill a hole in the box when attaching… say the Judson device. This fixture will allow the tripod to screw onto the box…. but.
                Then you need some sort of tripod quick release-lever gadget to make that handy to do. These are sold at camera shops if your tripod did not come with one.
                I’d also mention when locating the fixture, put it at the point of ballance when the box is open and a panel and the boxes contents are fitted to it. This will be further towards the back then at first you’d think. That will help keep the box level in use. Enjoy!
                -Dave

Agreed, particularly about the “point of balance”, rather than exact center.

If this sounds hard, it’s actually quite easy if you have a drill. And the quick release plate (assuming you have a tripod that uses one) is cheap on eBay.

Anonymous

you can buy a 1/4×20 threaded socket piece at most hardware stores and figure out your easiest way to attach it.

An alternative to drilling a hole in the box is to mount a threaded insert into a piece of wood, then epoxy that piece of wood to the bottom of the box.
                    This is how I usually mount a homemade tripod mount to a homemade pochade box.

THose threaded inserts are small stamped metal things that have several teeth that bite into the wood. They are inexpensive and will work as described above. But if you want longevity and something that can survive accidents such as a blown over set up I believe the Judsons gadget is your best choice. There are other ways of course… you could get a thick aluminum plate, drill holes in it and then install a Helicoil threaded insert. This basically is a copy of the Judsons device and requires some local machine work. Or…. you could get a 1/4-20 machine nut and have a friendly welder afix it to your box. In that event I’d drill a 5/16″ or a 8mm hole at the ballance point and weld the nut on the inside of the box.
                    -Have fun ! -Dave

Donald_Smith

Ace hardware has two styles of The nuts. One has little tabes made to be forced into the wood so they don’t move. The other has a larger flange with holes and gets screwed to what ever ya want. That would require drilling holes in your box or attaching something on the bottom.

Donald

"We are never really happy until we try to brighten the lives of others." Helen Keller
                        A Painter's Quest

munchmeister

Artist James Gurney has lots of information on building a small portable sketch easel.

http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2014/10/lightweight-sketchbook-easel.html

contumacious

I made a tripod plate out of a piece of hardwood flooring sample from Home Debpot ( Free or 25 cents depending on your home depot) and a 75 cent 1/4 – 20 threaded T-Nut. Remember that the T-Nut has to be installed so that the plate side is on the opposite side of where the threaded tripod attachment enters. I also bought the Guerrilla painter version, but ended up not using it as my home made one looked and fit better. I used permanent glue and small screws from the opposite side. It will never come loose without breaking the board on the bottom of the pochade box.

rdewitts

I have an extra column with out a head attached for my tripod. The column without a head has 3/8″ threads protruding. I use a 3/8″ T-nut on the box for attachment. The bare column doesn’t provide a swivel adjustment, but needed leveling can be accomplished by changing tripod leg lengths. Added benefit is tripod weight reduction.

Bartc

Ace hardware has two styles of The nuts. One has little tabes made to be forced into the wood so they don’t move. The other has a larger flange with holes and gets screwed to what ever ya want. That would require drilling holes in your box or attaching something on the bottom.

Donald

Yes, those are the two standard hardware T-nuts available everywhere.

Whatever you do to attach it to the bottom of your box, you have to make sure that the bottom of the box is stiff/sturdy enough to handle the load and lateral forces.

I made one out of a tabletop box whose bottom of plywood needed reinforcement across the whole width in order to withstand the forces. On the other hand with a lighter kit that I made out of a cigar box, all I needed was another piece of wood about 2″ square. The difference was the size and weight of what sits on top of the tripod. The larger in any dimension the box and/or the heavier the load, the more you need to ensure reinforcing the bottom with your T-nut centered on the load NOT the exact center of the box necessarily.

Bartc

I have an extra column with out a head attached for my tripod. The column without a head has 3/8″ threads protruding. I use a 3/8″ T-nut on the box for attachment. The bare column doesn’t provide a swivel adjustment, but needed leveling can be accomplished by changing tripod leg lengths. Added benefit is tripod weight reduction.

Yes, 3/8″ is more the standard for audio equipment attachments and tripods. But it’s the same principle.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.