Home Forums Explore Subjects Plein Air Signed up for my first plein air event, what should I expectbring?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    stpauler

While I’ve painted plein air before, I’ve never been to a plein air event. There is one in August not too far from me, so I signed up and booked a hotel room. Now I’m wondering what I’ve done.

The basics are on the website, it goes from Wednesday to Saturday with a nocturne challenge as well as a two hour quick paint challenge. Then judging sale, and awards ceremony.

I was planning on just bringing my standard stuff that I plein air paint with, but it wasn’t until I looked at pictures of past winners that I noticed that all of them were framed. I totally did not think of framing. Now I’m wondering what else I’m unaware of.

Would love to hear any tips of what to bring and what to expect.

Thanks!

contumacious

If it is a smaller, local event, it will likely be very relaxed and enjoyable. If it is a huge national event you can hide in the crowd if you are nervous. I have participated in a few plein air events and was always glad I did.

Take enough frames to cover the individual events you signed up for and maybe one extra, choosing frames that would work with the widest range of colors and compositions. Be sure to bring all the hardware and tools needed to complete the framed piece. I usually pre-install / attach everything including whatever I plan to use to keep the paintings in the frame. I will also pre-make the hanging wires and have the screw holes already drilled for them for a portrait and a landscape orientation. I like flexible glazing points but there other options that work fine. Take extra panels. They might be hard to come by at the event. Bring some business cards to hand out.

Be sure to protect your frames for traveling. I have seen frames ruined in peoples luggage that were not protected by extra padding. The worst offender for damaging frames and panels in luggage is the telescoping handle hardware inside the luggage. It is usually covered only with a thin layer of fabric and often has very sharp corners and protrusions that can scratch and dent your frames / panels.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.