Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    bongo

what is the best way to take photos of your art

The question that will not die. But maybe this will help. I found this youtube video by Robin Sealark. She has imo a very clever way to do it with no special equipment – that gives excellent results. (take special note of how she angles the camera and the painting) follows with good editing advice too.

extremely unbearable silly intro – skip it and start watching at 2:18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbfdBPYUg38

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
        STUDIOBONGO

Quint

Very good. Presents it well here.

Quint Nikon Coolpix 990, Nikon Coolpix P60, Nikon D7000, Nikkor, 35/f1.8, Nikkor 18-140, Nikon SB700 Speedlight.

bleu

(take special note of how she angles the camera and the painting) follows with good editing advice too.

I like her instruction on angling the camera, etc. However, in real life, wouldn’t it be better to just scan these tiny paintings?

bongo

=bleu
                    I like her instruction on angling the camera, etc. However, in real life …

In real life?! She’s not a cartoon – she may act like it at times – but she’s real, bleu :)

I agree a scanner is a better option for small paintings. But she does offer good advice imo if you use a camera or cell phone.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                    STUDIOBONGO

Harold Roth

I like her art.

Before I bought a couple of soft boxes, I found that if I took four photos of my painting, each time moving my painting clockwise 90 degress, and then merged them on Photoshop Elements, I could get rid of any glare and have nice even lighting. I had my easel perpendicular to some south windows and just made sure the sun was not shining directly on the painting.

The soft boxes beat the crap out of doing it that way, though.

bongo

… I found that if I took four photos of my painting, each time moving my painting clockwise 90 degrees, and then merged them on Photoshop Elements, I could get rid of any glare and have nice even lighting.

you can reduce/eliminate glare by having a black backdrop behind your camera and no brushstroke on your painting – that is any raised paint contributes to glare.

Glare can not only ruin a photo, but can ruin a painting too .
                            I once sold a painting, but before delivery I gave it a coat of gloss medium. The painting – musicians spot-lighted on a dark stage- was mostly black with prominent brush strokes. The combination of black and gloss turned it into a virtual mirror making the painting only viewable under candlelight. I was never able to make a copy that was up to the quality of the original so I lost the sale.

STUDIOBONGO

virgil carter

Truly the question which never goes away, with a ton of answers, all of which may work, depending on the size of the original painting and the purpose for reproduction.

I prefer photographing outdoors, in natural sunlight, with the watercolor on the driveway, using a good quality DSLR camera. I take 2-3 shots of each painting and use an editing program for cropping, contrast and color correction as needed. One technique of a thousand or so…

Sling paint,
                                Virgil

Sling paint,
                                Virgil Carter
                                http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

Harold Roth

you can reduce/eliminate glare by having a black backdrop behind your camera and no brushstroke on your painting – that is any raised paint contributes to glare.[/quote]
                                    My paintings are flat, so that’s not the issue. It’s using stuff like Prussian blue, which naturally has a gloss and then that highlights the weave of the canvas, making a glare that saps all the darkness out of the paint. This morning I actually spent quite a bit of time trying to get a good photo of a painting that has a large dark area in Prussian blue–and I did not succeed. Going back to try again this evening and will take just a photo of the whole painting instead of trying to stitch together something that has more details.

I hear ya about the glossy varnish. I love the way glossy adds depth to color but don’t like the way it adds glare.

AnnieA

That really was a good video and thanks for posting it, theBongolian. It’s funny, I had been told that one should have a dark piece of paper or board to set the piece against so that the camera will take it’s cues from you piece and not average the light in the background as part of the photo image. But she suggests a white background for easier adjustment of white balance. It seems like a clever idea and I plan to try it.

Also, another few tips: based on the recommendation of another WC member, I purchased viribright 60w LED hi-CRI (CRI=color rendering index) bulbs (from Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XTRSMNR/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) that I put in clip-on fixtures on microphone stands which are extended to be close to the ceiling. I also put a piece of paper over the light to make it more diffuse. All of this seems to have helped my photography of paintings a great deal.

Note that the reason a high-CRI bulb is needed is that ordinary LED bulbs do not pick up the entire color spectrum, and this is what makes photos taken under them seem somewhat washed out and less than satisfactory.

There were a lot of good tips in the Robin Sealark video and I’ve subscribed to her YouTube feed. She seemed very knowledgeable.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                                        [FONT=Palatino]
                                        “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.