Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business Anyone use an iPad for photographing paintings?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    chamisa

I am trying to push myself from amateur to professional with acquiring
        a domain and webhost but am struggling with how to economically take good photos of my paintings without having to buy a camera and learn about using it at this initial setup phase.

I’ve done a search on here for threads on photographing art, but they all relate to camera photos.
        Has anyone been successful at using an IPad for their photos?
        It would be so much easier tech-wise and economically for me at this point, as I am feeling overwhelm by all the new stuff I am having to learn and deal with website and domain wise.

Thanks!

contumacious

Getting acceptable web photos of paintings with a smartphone is pretty difficult, but it can be done if you get the lighting right and have some way to hold the device steady such as a tripod attachment and using a voice controlled release where you don’t touch the device at all during the capturing of the image. Using a tablet is more difficult than a smartphone. Plus in most cases the resolution of the camera in a tablet is lower than that of phones.

Not what you want to hear, but in my opinion, better than acceptable quality web images cannot be achieved with a smartphone or a tablet. The good news is you can get a camera that will give you images that far surpass that of your iPad for a fraction of what the tablet cost and the learning curve is not that steep.

bongo

I agree with contumacious – but:

“Perfect is the enemy of good”. I say you do what you have to do with the tools at hand. Web photos are not all that demanding. And initially, you can keep your photos relatively small – 700pixels a side or so.
                Get everything up and running – you can always replace your photos with better ones. Better to have a website with acceptable but less than perfect photos than no website at all. Here is a link to 12 Times Magazine covers shot with an iphone.

https://petapixel.com/2017/09/11/times-latest-cover-photos-shot-iphone/

Photos of my art for my first website were shot with a 2mp Canon. Focus, even lighting, exposure are more important than megpixals.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                STUDIOBONGO

chamisa

Plus in most cases the resolution of the camera in a tablet is lower than that of phones.

I read that the newer IPads now have higher megapixels than the iphones. My iPad Air 2 has 8 mexapixels. I don’t know what the resolution is, but I will find out —what is a good resolution percent for art work?
                    Thanks for,your help!

chamisa

I agree with contumacious – but:

“Perfect is the enemy of good”. I say you do what you have to do with the tools at hand. Web photos are not all that demanding. And initially, you can keep your photos relatively small – 700pixels a side or so.
                        Get everything up and running – you can always replace your photos with better ones. Better to have a website with acceptable but less than perfect photos than no website at all. Here is a link to 12 Times Magazine covers shot with an iphone.

[url]https://petapixel.com/2017/09/11/times-latest-cover-photos-shot-iphone/[/url]

Photos of my art for my first website were shot with a 2mp Canon. Focus, even lighting, exposure are more important than megpixals.

Thanks, and I agree with your strategy as long as I can develop decent enough pictures that I don’t sabotage myself.
                        Those are great cover photos from an IPhone!! They must have used photoshop to help upgrade them a bit?

contumacious

I read that the newer IPads now have higher megapixels than the iphones. My iPad Air 2 has 8 mexapixels. I don’t know what the resolution is, but I will find out —what is a good resolution percent for art work?
                            Thanks for,your help!

I don’t own anything made by Apple, but from their website it says their latest iPad has an 8 megapixel camera. The latest iPhone has a 12 megapixel camera. The Samsung S9+ has three built in cameras, a front facing 8 megapixel and two rear facing 12 megapixel cameras one of which is a “Telephoto” which should give you better images of two dimensional flat artwork than the normal wide angle cameras. But the money for the Note 9 or the Iphone X is many times that of a very good quality digital camera that would be capable of producing professional looking images of your artwork if you do your part.

The major problem with cellphone and tablet cameras isn’t the resolution as much as it is that the lenses are of such short focal length that they are not well suited to taking undistorted images of artwork. You need a 35mm camera lens equivalent focal length that is between 50mm and 105mm for better looking perspective with less distortion in the final images. Personally I would never publish an image of any of my artwork taken with a phone or a tablet.

chamisa

Thanks for that info^^^
                                Is there a digital camera you recommend that’s user friendly/simple and meets those standards?

bongo

I happen to run across a Dan Nelson youtube where he explains how he takes photos of his paintings. Dan Nelson is a life-long professional artist – doing large scale urban plein aire, lecture circuit, books, videos, live streaming, classes etc.

He uses a handheld 8mpg Android Phone to photograph ALL his work, including those for prints and publication! – the secret is in the technique not the equipment. He photographs six (or more) slices (called tiles) and stitches them together in P.S He explains every detail in his youtubes. He did it the “proper” way for decades, has the studio space and equipment, but found this way better.

He also paints with two brushes – one in each hand – simultaneously. He is a bit of a character to watch, but a pioneer and encyclopedia on painting.

Anyway, I’m not suggesting chamisa do this but thought it was interesting,.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                                    STUDIOBONGO

blondheim12

I only use my I-Pad Pro for a camera. I have photo editing software and it works fine.I know nothing about cameras and don’t ahve the interest or time to learn.

Linda Blondheim Art
                                        http://www.lindablondheim.com
                                        Blondheim Art and Stories
                                        http://www.blondheimartandstories.com

chamisa

I only use my I-Pad Pro for a camera. I have photo editing software and it works fine.I know nothing about cameras and don’t ahve the interest or time to learn.

And is that what you used for the photos on your blog?
                                            Because those paintings look great. Not sure if the Pro has a better camera in it than the Air 2 , but I know the Air 2 camera was upgraded a lot from the older iPads.

I took a photograph of one of my paintings in an enclosed basement area the other day with overhead fluorescent lights. It turned out great on my iPad, but I haven’t downloaded it anywhere yet.

blondheim12

And is that what you used for the photos on your blog?
                                                Because those paintings look great.

Yes, all of my photos are done with my I-Pad Pro.

Linda Blondheim Art
                                                http://www.lindablondheim.com
                                                Blondheim Art and Stories
                                                http://www.blondheimartandstories.com

chamisa

Yes, all of my photos are done with my I-Pad Pro.

Can I ask what type of lighting you use and where you place the lighting?
                                                    Thanks!

What I especially like about using the IPad is that you get instant feedback on a larger screen than a camera’s small LCD screen — and instant editing and cropping.

brexit

I have been trying for many times but my iPad has so many errors. I thought iOS is one of the most reliable system.. Recently I have been struggled with Group Chat Messages in iOS. That’s because I was added into group conversations, where I had no intention to be a part of and couldn`t leave from the group chat. Thanks God I followed the instructions from here https://osxtips.net/ios-leave-group-message-chat/%5B/URL%5D and finally managed it. I wish I would be an Android amateur..

All is well:angel:

members

Professional shots would be ideal, but not always affordable or practical. My iPad Mini which is a few yrs old doesn’t take very good shots. Perhaps newer full sized iPads and other tablets do though.

My current iPhone takes better photos than my 2008 digital point and shoot type camera. I’m sure new cameras are better, but with a bit of effort to shoot in good light and make sure the phone is still, they do pretty well. Light, and glare, are a challenge sometimes on big pieces, especially shiny surfaces. The same information on how the pros deal with that can be adapted to shooting with a phone, and improvising to overcome light issues without buying expensive stuff.

Mine has a timer on it, so I can set up a shot with the phone propped up on an amusing array of books and ladders and stuff, and when it goes off, there’s no movement.

Even hand held I can get good shots most times. I have the “Live” feature turned on so I can choose the sharpest frame, because with hand held, some frames in the shot are better than others.

Of course, professional shots are superior, but if you don’t need huge image files, the newer smart phones are plenty good enough for small reprints, and definitely good enough for web use. If you think you’ll be enlarging it, doing billboards or bedspreads, it is important to have a huge high resolution image. Otherwise, a newer smart phone is probably fine.

virgil carter

Yes…it depends on what one wants the photos for. If you are submitting photos for juried competitions, POD sites, and other critical uses, then buy and learn to use a good quality DSLR camera. I prefer one with a good quality zoom lens, but other photographers may disagree and recommend a fixed focal length lens. Each lens type has advantages and disadvantages.

I would only use my iPhone or iPad as a last desperate resort.

Sling paint,
                                                                Virgil

Sling paint,
                                                                Virgil Carter
                                                                http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.