Home Forums Explore Media Watermedia Watercolor Pencils Usage

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Seli1

Watercolor pencils look interesting. One could work faster with them than with colored pencils, but I have read comments saying that those are ridiculous.

So I want to ask. Is it worth to try them? if yes, why?

Wc pencils are soft and easy to work with and have water as the solvent. I find they are excellent when used with wc for detailing and finer shading. Well worth the investment.

Christel

Bartc

I use them alone and with regular watercolors, and sometimes even just as pencils. You can buy the higher quality ones, but you can also buy the cheap student grade ones. Both work and work the same, with the difference (to my eyes) being in saturation of color. There are also “pencils” that have no wooden sheath in watercolor varieties.

Derwent makes some very good ones – in fact several lines that work with water if desired.

Be aware that their Inktense is a bit different than most others. Inktense works like very saturated watercolor pencils until wetted; then when dry they are indelible, like colored India ink, so you can watercolor over them without creating “mud”. This is an advantage for certain styles of work.

I use both Inktense and a cheap set of General w/c pencils. Both mix in a painting with other media pretty well.

There are now several very good lines of watercolor “crayons” out there too.

Any of these pencil or crayon formulations allow you the ease and precision of drawing or detailing that is much harder to master with a brush for most folks. That, to me at any rate, is their primary advantage.

Seli1

Thank you.

Do you know how good are the different lines of faber castell watercolor pencils?

Bartc

Thank you.

Do you know how good are the different lines of faber castell watercolor pencils?

Haven’t tried them.

In my local art store they always have a pad (and usually water brush handy) for you to try out these materials.

I like them for using alone or with another medium. You might try ordering a small set of them first to try them out. I’ve been happy with any of the Faber Castell products.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Seli1

Is it better to start with a set of 12 or 24 colors. I already have watercolor tubes.

I started w/ a 12 set then graduated on up.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Seli1

Then it would be a set of 12 watercolors and a set of 12 watercolor pencils.

Seli1

I found, watercolor pencils faber castell creative studio line, are those good or bad?

Sutra

I think they’re considered student quality and so not as good as the Albrecht Durer but of course less expensive. They may be not just less intense but also may be harder to dissolve.

I don’t own them because I already own the AD, but people I know who own the caran dache supracolor often say that they’re the best compromise for a colored pencil that works well wet or dry.

Seli1

I also found albrecht durer, so better get those, right?

Watercolor Pencils are certainly NOT ridiculous and are a recognised art medium.
                                        Ive been using both Albrecht Durer watecolor pencils, and Derwent Inktense pencils for years and love them both, especially the Inktense. Inktense has saved many a failed watercolor painting for me.

The Albrecht Durer are a high quality watercolor pencil with good color saturation, and you can lift some of the color off after it dries, if you want to. The Inktense have far stronger colors but of course once the color dries its there for good.
                                        You can use both brands by themselves or with watercolors. I often use my Inktense for details and to add linear mark to watercolors.
                                        If you are a beginner with watercolor pencils, I would recommend both brands, although the Albrecht Durer would be easier to use until you got more used to the stronger, permanent color of Inktense.

If you check out previous months Watermedia Challenges, you will see where Ive used Inktense many times in my challenge paintings. If you click on my Blog (in my signature line), Ive also used Inktense in many of my paintings there also.
                                        I hope you find this helpful, and Im happy to answer any further questions.

Moderator: Animal & Wildlife, Floral & Botanical, Watermedia

Seli1

Thank you very much.

Seli1

After some thinking, I have decided what to buy. A set of 36 colors of albrecht durer watercolor pencils, but those are too expensive for me. There is another set of another line of faber castell available, less expensive, a little less quality, same amount of colors.

What do you think I should buy? Save until I can buy the best ones, or buy the more affordable ones?

Because I want them a soon as possible because these are faster to use than colored pencils and will save my hands painful effort drawing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.