WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Fiber Arts
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2017, 05:35 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States
Stitch in Time, June 2017

Summer is almost here. We are still experiencing Spring weather that can't make up it's mind. One day sunny and very warm, the next cold wind and rain. Pretty soon I'll be complaining about the heat. (You may laugh if you'd like Eva! )

Not been doing fiber the last couple of days. DH is home and we celebrated our anniversary. Today and tomorrow are probably going to be chores. Ran errands including grocery shopping this morning. I am going to try to get DH to help me install a shelf in my studio. Then tomorrow is getting food preps done for the work week and laundry.

I haven't heard back from the publisher about my doll clothing pattern. Waiting...
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2017, 11:48 AM
San Francisco

Hails from United States
Re: Stitch in Time, June 2017

Hello Debby! Congrat's on the anniversary.

Off to see my art quilt group today. Haven't been to a meeting in a long time - keep having weekend conflicts, so looking forward to it.

Been judging county fair quilt shows this week. What a treat to see all this wonderful work, from traditional works to the fanciful.

Jen
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2017, 02:31 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Just been on holiday to Weymouth on the south coast. Ruth crocheted 90% of a quillow before she ran out of wool and started a new one on the way home You can't stop the woman!

Doug
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2017, 04:39 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Jen, thank you. Glad you are making it to an Art Quilt meeting. Darn those adulting things and scheduling conflicts.

Doug, how lovely to be on holiday. Hope you and Ruth had a great time. You know that applies to lots of artists, not being able to stop. And would you really want her to?

More chores today, of course. I've cleared the area and marked where holes are to be drilled. As soon as DH is up from his nap and had some lunch, I'm putting him to work on the shelf.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2017, 02:30 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Hello all!

How frustrating to run out of wool! Always drives me nuts. But it sounds like Ruth was prepared with another right at hand.

Hope the shelving work has forged ahead.

I am working on multiple projects. 2 spinning projects, and a new art quilt effort, where I am dyeing sections in a pattern, then attaching them together with the felting machine. Then of course the trees and dress for the wedding.

someone gave me some lovely roving, which I am quickly spinning into a yarn to send with my husband to his mom. Not a lot. Just maybe two skeins. But colorful and soft, which she seems to like to knit.

Jen
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2017, 03:20 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Jen, my goodness! I'd be going a bit mental with all that on my plate especially with a wedding coming up.

I did get the shelf up and the desk returned to normal with DH's help. I have set the superhero costume to one side realizing it was too close to something that is already out there. The only difference was a bodysuit instead of a dress. I then realized that my list of ideas was quickly dwindling because the things I was thinking of have already been addressed by other designers. Not a problem so much as needing to think a little more outside the box. And, I'm still waiting for the publisher to get back to me on my wing pattern. It's been over a week and they have acknowledged the receipt of my proposal but haven't gotten back to me with any feedback. Supposedly, they meet once a week to review submissions. I'm thinking that maybe they skipped last week due to the holiday.

Anyway, here is a picture of the shelf all set up. The camera made the shelf look like it's warped. It's not. I checked it several times and it's level.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2017, 12:34 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

Hi all.

Jen you are always so busy. How do you keep everything straight. I do have to think back to the days when I had lots going. Working full time and doing some type of show every weekend, plus sewing in any off hours I had. Then we had social things going on too so I was always doing something. Now I can hardly keep up with the things I have to do around the house.

Debbie like your doll things. Hope you get notice that some have been accepted. I never did any thing like that. I made most of my own patterns but never went any further than that. I gave some of the patterns away and others have used them.

Lots of doctor appointments between Pat and I. Pat is in lots of pain and tonight he didn't even want to go to work he was so depressed. Worked ICU all week and he said all the people in there were in really bad shape and he hated even walking from one room to the next. Good thing this is his last night and he has the next week off. He can't take antidepressants as they work against him. Maybe I can get him in for an acupuncture as the one I had last week with needles poked everywhere really helped me with the panic attack. It is one for relaxing and it was good for about 3 days. I go back on Friday and we will see what type of treatment I will have. Have an eye appointment for Tuesday so hopefully he will allow me to keep my drivers license. The state sent the paperwork this week.

Well seeing I don't have good news here, I do hope you all are enjoying yourselves.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2017, 03:48 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Eva, thanks for your encouragement. It means a lot to me. I do hope Pat can find a way through the pain and the depression. I didn't know acupuncture can help emotional issues too. Good to know.

I'm still waiting on an answer on the wing patterns. I do have an idea that I'm working on now. Back in the late 1800s, early 1900s, women in the west wore a split skirt for riding horses astride. It was safer than riding side saddle. They had a detachable panel in the front to make it look like a skirt when not actually riding, to pander to male sensibilities. However the skirt itself with or without the panel was attractive. I thought it'd be fun to see if I could make it doll size. So far the skirt needs more ease around the hips and I need to drop the crotch down just a smidge. Working on the second prototype today.
Save
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2017, 01:12 AM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Hi Eva , good to hear from you. Sorry to hear of the pain that Pat is experiencing. And I can agree on the usefullness of acupunture. Sometimes finding the right mix of conventional and alternative approaches is what it takes!

yes, I am continually busy. One thing or another. Though truthfully the less I have to manage the details, the better/

Deep into spinning wool. A workshop I recently took at the Northern California Handweavers Conference ignited me to work again with some fleece that I have not had success or pleasure spinning. Fine hand combs is the trick - evil looking tools that REALLY clean and align fine fibers, like merino. Something meditative about the combing process.

Jen
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2017, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

I am back!
Whitehorse was lovely! But at this time of year it doesn't get dark and the stupid birds start singing to dawn at 2 am! The sun sets officially at about 11:45 pm but it just sort of hangs below the horizon so it is just a sort of twilight - it must be hard to be a vampire there.
The dress was a big success! It fitted like a glove. I only had to adjust the lace in the front because it stretched and allowed the front to drop too low. The jacket was spot on too. She wouldn't take the jacket off to show the dress in detail.

The biggest challenge was finishing everything. First they left me with the sewing machine without the foot peddle or the power cord. Then they had to hunt up the iron. I bought and ironing board. The light in the room was very bad but because the sun didn't set until 11:45 and shone right in the window, I was able to clear some space to put the chair beside the window. They have two BIG dogs and 2 cats and it is just spring in the Yukon and there was probably enough animal hair to spin another prom dress on the floors. Pinning out the hem on a 3 foot by 1 foot piece of table space was a challenge.
But it was done. She was ecstatic and it worked well for her at the prom. She said that unlike some of her friends she was completely comfortable standing, sitting or laying down. She can use the dress for musical performances and it is completely washable. Even the jacket will let her play the clarinet in comfort.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2017, 03:40 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Jen, we need to see the results of all that spinning.

Lena, the dress is absolutely gorgeous. Glad it was such a success. Well we are almost to the solstice so the light will go back to fading away to almost nothing come winter again.

Finally got word back on my fairy wings. It seems someone or to be specific 2 someones submitted similar wing patterns before I did. Great minds think alike? Dunno, but I am beside myself due to their lack of communication. I finally broke down at 2 and a half weeks and asked the status. According to their information, they review patterns once a week, on Mondays, even if you take out the holiday in May, they've had over 2 weekly sessions to make a decision. They could have had the courtesy to let me know! Now, I have to decide if I really want to deal with them if they are not going to be communicating effectively. Grr.... I'm not upset they said no. After all, the wings weren't that complicated or unique. It doesn't surprise me that someone else came up with a similar idea. No, it's the fact that I had to ask to get an answer.
Save
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2017, 08:44 PM
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

Hi Jen. Glad you got back to spinning and of course we want to see what the results are.

Lena, the outfit is really pretty. You did a great job and I know the granddaughter will get a lot of use out of it. What is the next project?

Debbie, sorry about that company not getting back to you on the wings. I don't think I would want to work with those people. So what are you working on now?

Well it has been doctor after doctor here and then the last few days, it is extreme heat. I try not to go out but did run to the grocery yesterday and the car didn't even cool off. It has been over 120F for 4 days and probably will have more the next few days. It is that time in the desert. Every year we get this low humidity, single digit, and high heat. Then it will change to the monsoon season with clouds, higher humidity, heat between 100 and 110 for the rest of the summer. We will get a little rain in there sometime too. Don't get much done this time of the year. No one goes out unless you have too.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2017, 04:58 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Eva, so glad you stopped by. Hope the doctor visits are doing some good. Don't think I could deal with those kinds of temps for that long. I've have experienced triple digits for a couple weeks running when I lived in California. But, I'd really rather not.

You asked what I'm working on. Well... I'm going to give the pattern company one more chance. I spent some time sketching out several outfits. I've also spent a lot of time scouring their web-site to see if anyone else has something like it. I then drafted some patterns for one of my sketches. It's on the sewing machine right now. I hope to have the muslin sewn today and I'll send it to them tomorrow. Then, we wait and see. This time they have one week before I send a query e-mail. If this one is rejected, I will chalk it up to experience and go back to making cloth dolls. The clothing patterns can be incorporated into that. I can still sell patterns via my Etsy store as well. So, all is not lost. Probably should get back to the sewing machine.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2017, 01:07 AM
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

Debbie, so glad you didn't quite give up on the pattern people. Sometimes those things take lots of work and multi submissions before they take something of yours

Well things have cooled down today to under 120. Hopefully that will be the last because it is hard on the body to even get to the store. Pat is not doing well. Had a c-scan on his kidneys and he has 9 small stones hanging on the top inside the kidney. The doctor said could be parts that didn't pass last year when he had is kidney large stones blasted. They could stay hanging there or could fall and will be painful to pass them. They are going to do a scan on his bladder next week. Already did the ultra sound this week. He also has vertigo and swelling of the hands, legs and feet. His primary doctor has ordered something to help that. At least he likes the primary doctor and the new urologist that he is going to. It is the one I used earlier this year and I had liked him. Pat has fallen a couple of times this week trying to get out of bed. I hope he can be well enough to go to work tomorrow. If not it is summer time and the hospital usually slow. Last work week he was short hours. He also bought a car this week. A 2002 Camino for Alyssa for her 16th birthday in October. The car will sit here until she gets a job and will be able to pay for insurance. Jarrod will be 21 on Thursday and will be here next week before he goes to training to become a long haul truck driver. Hope it works for him.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2017, 04:27 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Eva, thanks for the encouragement. I am so sorry to hear about Pat and his health issues. How is your health? Wow, Alyssa will be 16. Time certainly flies.

I am struggling with the pattern thing. I have an actual American Girl doll to measure to make the patterns for that size doll. (Mom was delighted to buy me a doll for my birthday this year. ) However, she is larger than the measurements I was given in the pattern class I took. A lot bigger. Not the arms and legs, the vinyl parts, but the cloth torso. They really stuffed this one. So, the slopers I have are not really working. Today, I'm taking a step back and reworking the slopers rather than trying to account for the difference in size when I draft a new pattern. For some reason, it's not working. I added an extra half inch because of the doll's larger hips in particular and the tunic length blouse I made is too tight across the hips even without another garment for the bottom like pants or a skirt. *sigh* Back to the drawing board, literally.