WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2017, 10:18 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
Blick Artist Acrylics/ Fluid Acrylics

Hiya,

I know everyone paints differently and has different budgets.

But, has anyone painted with both Golden and Blick Artist acrylics? How do they compare?

Is the pigment load dramatically different?

--

Does anyone have a favorite brand of fluid acrylics that is close to the Golden quality?

--

The Goldens are just a little too expensive for my budget, although I love their quality.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2017, 11:24 AM
A Local Legend

Re: Blick Artist Acrylics/ Fluid Acrylics

Goldens are excellent but so are Tri-Art from Canada...i really like their fluid acylics.....but they are a premium brand also...all the really good acrylics are priced accordingly..the student grade are less expensive but lacking in many respects also...."you get what you pay for' my Mum told me....
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2017, 03:37 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

After painting today, I've given up on fluids.

But, if you've used Blick acrylics, I'd love to hear what you think of them.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2017, 03:40 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish
Goldens are excellent but so are Tri-Art from Canada...i really like their fluid acylics.....but they are a premium brand also...all the really good acrylics are priced accordingly..the student grade are less expensive but lacking in many respects also...."you get what you pay for' my Mum told me....

Sometimes. I think it depends what you're doing. With the right skill, art can be made from anything. . . imho.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2017, 12:40 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Ok, I guess no one uses Blick artist acrylics. . .. ???

Can a moderator just delete this thread so that it doesn't clog up the forum?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2017, 11:59 AM

Hey! I'm coming out of the shadows to comment.
I use mostly blick acrylics. I do have a few tubes of liquitex and a neutral grey tube of golden. Honestly, since I use them all together, and since I'm an amateur, they're difference is pretty negligible. They're all nicely heavy bodied. I like the pigment loads so they have good tinting strength. Drying times are pretty uniform.

Buy a bigger tube of titanium white and the other colors will last you a good while.

Honestly, though, they're SUPER affordable. So the best thing you can do is buy a limited palette (a red, a yellow ochre/oxide, titanium white, and black) and try them out yourself.

I'm not a big fan of fluid acrylics, but if you want to continue to save money or not spend on an extra set of tubes. You can buy some fluid/extender medium to use on the same set of paints.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2017, 02:29 PM

I use Blick Acrylics and I like them. Are they as good as Golden or Liquitex? No. But they are much better than student grade like Basics and Galeria. The price is great, so give them a try. If you don't like them you can always use them up for underpainting.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2017, 09:44 PM
Lord of the Arts

How fluid do you want? If you wish thicker than acrylic ink but thinner than std Liquitex or DB acrylics, try Jo Sonja. Same company that makes Golden.

And one more tip. If you are really cheap like me, buy the really big tubes of paint and a whole bunch of empty 2 oz capacity metal paint tubes (~$! ea). Download into the tube making certain that you tamp the tube to get most of the air out and that you leave enough room at the open end to crimp it flat. A long time ago I started using these tubes to transfer paint from those #@$% plastic tubes. Now I use them for all paints. Also use a sharpie to mark the tube content at the cap end (or just smear some paint on the side of the tube).

Last edited by old_hobbyist : 03-20-2017 at 09:53 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2017, 10:49 PM

Yeah...The Golden paint company does not make Jo Sonja Acrylics. They are made by Chroma Inc. Just so you know.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2017, 05:48 PM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by oramasha
Can a moderator just delete this thread so that it doesn't clog up the forum?
Nope. WC doesn't delete. However, it is a useful discussion that others may appreciate.
My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2017, 06:04 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

The Blick paint has less covering power than more expensive paint. So maybe you'll have to apply a little more some time. On the other hand, you don't have to thin it as much for washes and glazes.

Blick's phthalo green next to Golden's phthalo green will look a little less vibrant. Within the context of a painting, this seldom matters, because the impact of any one color depends on the colors around it.

Besides, the biggest factor in the success of a painting is the way one handles the tonal values.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2017, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Jaytref: Thanks for making the correction for Jo Sonja! Chroma does indeed make the Jo Sonja line which would be more of a "flow" formula.
You can find them at Blick online/catalog.

Oramasha: If price is a factor, you may want to check out the Atelier Free Flow paints, also made by Chroma. 2 oz bottles. Lightfast and professional, they have a high pigment load and fluid consistency. They dry with a matte but really vibrant finish. Not as big as a color range as Golden Fluids, but big enough. You can find this online/catalog at Blick too.

In fact, when I checked pricing, Blick carries a lot of fluids that may fit your needs, be they price, lightfastness, consistency, etc.

Full disclosure: I work for Chroma which is why I know so much about these paints. :-)
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2017, 03:02 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

It is a useful discussion I am happy to read as these questions are valuable as are the answers. I like Blick products, all of them, and as they are cheaper you do get what you pay for in the end. Golden fluids are more pricey and worth it; I use them to finish off a work. Thanks Jennifer! The JS line are nice to work with as well.