Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking ink choices for linowoodcut ..Please Help

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    bee_1205

Hello everybody
        this is my first post. I am an artist working in india. Recently bitten by the printmaking bug, i’ve taken it up again the last time being college. Anyway Im starting with some lino cut, but having trouble finding relief printing ink here.(if theres anyone who has an idea where to get some in india.Please let me know)
        The only branded ones available are Charbonnel for an astronomical amount.
        So i was wondering about what choice of alternatives I have.
        Will oil based commercial letterpress ink or offset ink be worth a shot??
        How about natural pigments with a binder? Anything..
        Any info will be Great!!
        Thanks

Sizun

Hello and welcome onboard !

OIL PAINTS
            I made my first linocut (reduction method) with oil paints. This should not be used because in the end the linseed oil they contain will burn the paper. However, this was 5 years ago and the paper is still in good shape. Moreover, real oil based printing inks do contain some linseed oil, only in lower proportions.

I read somewhere you can use oil paints if you remove some of the oil by leaving small amounts of paint for a few hours on tissue paper. The tissue will soak up any extra oil and you will end up with a leaner product.

WATERCOLOR
            I also had fun with watercolor. I pasted some thick watercolor on my block then pressed it on damp watercolor or intaglio paper. Great and fun results ! I did this after reading about the japanese water based woodcut method.

There are also some experienced Indian artists on other WC boards, and although not printmakers, they might be able to direct you to some dealers in India ?

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Critics and comments ALWAYS WELCOME
            My blog

bee_1205

thanks Sizun!
                I tried some oil paint but they bled (maybe the weather here these days)
                but I like the idea of drying them out for a bit. Will give it a try tomorrow.
                Much thanks for your reply..

Diane Cutter

I have lived places where art supplies are dear in cost or not existent.

Will oil based commercial letterpress ink or offset ink be worth a shot??

When I lived in Honduras I was able to pick some ink up from a local newspaper. You might check with a local print shop or newspaper and see if you can get some of their ink. I’ve found that sometimes they have near empty cans of ink available for very little. Plus, if you can get black and the three colors (yellow, magenta, blue) you can mix your own colors.

You can store these little bits of ink in a jar and cover it with water to avoid the ink drying out. When you want to use them the water can be lightly taken off the daub of ink with a tissue.

Regarding the expensive inks you can buy… remember that a tube of ink can last a long, long time since you never squeeze out more than you can use. I am always surprised at how long a tube lasts though I print fairly often.

I’ve never used oil paints but the problem with oils is they have much more oil in them than inks, thus your bleeding.

Watercolors probably won’t work very well on lino since the lino is oil-based but it’s certainly worth a try.

Diane

jbsweet

Hello, I have recently become serious about my relief printmaking (on paper and fabric) and therefore I’ve been experimenting with lots of different inks. Here are my fledgling results, thus far. I’m not sure if you have access either online or where you live, but here goes: (*I’m only using water-based inks, by the way, and unmounted lino!)

For decent paper prints, Dick Blick’s block printing ink has good viscosity on the block and works fine and is inexpensive. It’s used in classroom settings a lot for both reasons. I can’t vouch for its color holding up over time, though.

Speedball block printing inks are ok to practice with, but you will use a ton of it, it dries really quickly on the plate (maddening!) and …it fades when dry. I don’t really recommend it. (Unless you’re printing on fabric. There is a good fabric/paper ink.)

Akua’s Aqua wash Intaglio inks are really nice. Good colors, though I did notice a little fading when dry (at least with the red.) Price is reasonable.

Charbonnel aqua wash etching inks are just the BEST. Beautiful, rich colors, perfect viscosity, easy clean up. It does take a very long time to dry – almost like an oil based ink, if you are in a humid setting. But worth it.

What I’ve learned: cheap ink is more likely to fade and also over time, lose it’s viscosity in the tube or jar. Also, you will end up using a ton of it and therefore spending a lot of money, in the end. Buy more expensive inks, and you will use a lot less of it. It will last you a long time and end up being more cost-effective, as the Diane Cutter said, above.

Good luck!

bee_1205

thanks a lot for the advice.
                            I did in fact go to a local printers(offset) and got a smidgen of ink to try , it works a treat !! yay!
                            I think i can use it, till i buy the Relief Ink..Which in any case take two months to ship here..
                            Thanks a lot , you’re all really helpfull.
                            Be seeing a lot more of me round these parts.
                            Cheers!

Diane Cutter

Good to hear… We look forward to seeing some of your prints.

Diane

bridog

Would recommend a couple of inks…not sure of availability in India.
                                    #1. Akua intaglio ink…now manufactured by Speedball Inks which has worldwide distribution
                                    #2. Graphic Chemical water soluble relief printing ink (glycol). A good product that has no odour and cleans up with warm water. Derived from sugar cane. Open air time is about 4 – 6 hours. Dries on paper within 12 hours.

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work. Emile Zola

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
                                    visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.