Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Glazing over a Brunaille

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Richard P

I’ve never done it, but are there many problems with glazing over a Brunaille or Bistre (brown or brown-yellow shaded underpainting of values), as opposed to a grey shaded Grisaille?

If you use transparent pigments like Phthalos, Quinacridones and Hansas (CMY) only then how you do you stop the brown-yellow underpainting from shifting the hues too much if you used blue glazes?

Patrick1

I don’t paint in a strictly glazing mode but I’ll offer my thoughts. If you paint/glaze highly transparently, yes, the underpainting color will affect the subsequent layers. I imagine a brown-yellow underpainting will impart a slight nutty brown warmth to the final colors, compared to using a greyscale grisaille which won’t impart much, if any, hue shift. The final colors you get might be somewhat like (but not exactly like) what you’d get if you painted colors ‘normal’ and then glazed over them with a transparent yellow-brown color, or overlaid a piece of transparent colored cellophane.

I’d tend to not fight/compensate for the color shift you get from the brown underpainting, and instead take advantage of the flavor it imparts to the finished artwork. It might shift some blues (if it does, I’m guessing more likely towards greenish) – but that’s its way of making its own color harmony. If you really want to avoid it shifting blues, you could specifically choose a brown & blue combination which doesn’t hue shift the blues much, or at all. This might take trial & error – finding which blue over which brown.

Well the whole idea of using a warm color as the under painting is in part to “contaminate” the final color with this warmth. So if you do not want it to happen, use a more neutral pigment .

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Richard P

Thanks both, that’s pretty much what I was thinking to! :D

llawrence

You can always mix and match different kinds of underpainting in the same picture, and I conjecture that this was often done traditionally. You can use brunaille or verdaccio to underpaint skin tones, then grisaille the drapery for glazing. For me, glazing blue or green over a brown underpainting has been mostly problematic, and usually forced me to go opaque in the darks.

Patrick1

I’d be interested to see the differences in final coloration between the same transparent painting (same colors used) painted over top different-colored monochromatic underpaintings.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.