Home Forums Explore Subjects Abstract and Contemporary Art 3D Abstract Oil Paintings Of Non- visual Concepts (with examples)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    MMCoston

La suggested trying this forum, so I thought this would be an appropriate first post for here. Please bear in mind that I normally don’t create pure abstractions.

This concept is one of my most recent ideas I’ve been exploring. The ‘nonvisual concepts’ are things that exist as experiences but can’t really be seen, directly at least, in the world. I’ve completed two paintings which will help clarify what I mean.

The very first one was this:

It was simply intended to convey the experience of peace blanketing and soothing stress and worry.

The second one is titled ‘What Winter Feels Like’.

With this one I am intending to convey that winter is cold but yet warm, windy and with excitement in the air due to the holidays, and the small light colored patch on the bottom left represents places that were bustling in the summer being abandoned for the cold months.

I expect the fundamental idea here is far more interesting than the paintings I made. C/c is welcome but I’m really interested in thoughts on the basic concept. Any ideas on how to improve or grow the idea? Do you love it? Do you hate it? Has anyone done something similar? I couldn’t find anything online but there might be a special word for it out there I don’t know about.

Experimental artist.
        My Portfolio
        My Instagram

Greggo

Well…this certainly was different, in a good way.

Explaining your concept for each painting and giving an explanation of what you wanted to convey is a refreshing from seeing art work wit only a title and no way to “see” what the artist was planning to show.

Both of these paintings work well, from a compositional feel of balance, appropriate color choices, a feeling of mass and shape, as well as the hint of movement.

I would have liked to see a little sharper edges and highlights, shadowing, modeling that would give a feeling of 3-D.

I really like both of these & look forward to seeing more from you.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/110200-Tatrabanner.jpg [FONT=Times New Roman] Click here for>> WC FAQS >

Welcome Misty! Glad you are here.
            Echo all that greggo said above. Each one invites exploration by the viewer and hope to see additional works.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

MMCoston

Thank you Greg and Kay.
                Greg, I’m not entirely certain what you mean by modeling. Is it a design where an element jumps out at the viewer or is it preparing an actual sculpture type of model as a reference? Actually, both of those seem intriguing. I’ll have to try them. 🤔

Experimental artist.
                My Portfolio
                My Instagram

Greggo

Perhaps I misused the word: I think of modeling as meaning to give shape, such as roundness or bumps to an object. I did a lot of paintings of cars and trying to give the viewer an idea of how the metal was curved was always the hardest thing to convey. Painting a muscled arm would also be an example. Where the shadows fall are what the eye notices to tell the brain what the shape actually is. In abstract art it is even more difficult.

When I see modeling done perfectly my first instinct is to want to touch to painting…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/110200-Tatrabanner.jpg [FONT=Times New Roman] Click here for>> WC FAQS >

MMCoston

Thank you for clarifying, Greg. That is a special point of interest in this instance, actually. When I sat down to paint these two, I figured I should leave out certain aspects that normally help viewers identify specific objects/scenes because I wanted to keep the subject as non-visual (meaning without identifiable objects) as possible. The aspects I tried to avoid were small details, horizons and, in the second painting, a constant light source. I don’t really know if those are the elements that most help with object recognition, but it seemed a logical place to start.

But as you point out, without the aspect of natural behaving lighting the 3D-ness gets eroded. I think I now realize why I don’t particularly like the second one. I supposed these two paintings are technically 2.5D rather than 3D. So I will have to address this concept in the next one.

Sorry for the unusual use of words. Trying to communicate new ideas without knowing a precedent to refer to is one of the biggest challenges regarding my work.

Experimental artist.
                        My Portfolio
                        My Instagram

Greggo

I make up new words as well as find new uses for old words.

Style? Mine is Abstract Realism on a Continuum: I always start an abstract from a real thang, sometimes recognizable when I’m done, sometimes not so much.

tidal

Yes they are signs and signals that tell the brain this is has depth or is real etc for example the 3d on 2d ie shading on a piece of paper ..it is creating an illusion on paper essentialy and it is as you say incredibly difficult to do this in an abstract fashion.Kazimir Malevich had it down the famous white on white square is tilted at an angle to give feeling of movement ie going beyond the 3rd dimension. Personaly for me I think abstract is in fact far harder than photo realism in some ways as abstract is in fact incredibly carefully thought out and planned for me there is compositional balance which is incredibly complicated in itself and shape form space line color all play a part in that..playing around with the ambiguity of depth of field to hopefully communicate not in signs and symbols but communicate on a different level in a different part of the brain or the part that understand ie music for example for the brain to make sense of it from that point of view. I like your work :)

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

MMCoston

Hi Tidal. Sorry for the very late reply. I haven’t had much internet access this last month. Thank you for sharing knowledge with me. Abstract art isn’t something I don’t do a lot of but it’s always good to learn new things. I have run across the famous white on white square painting. In fact it inspired me to make my own version of square art. Actually, I think I will post it. I imagine folks would get a kick out of it.

Experimental artist.
                                    My Portfolio
                                    My Instagram

By modeling, I think he means to use values (tones) of colors more, to define the shapes in sharper detail.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.