WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Landscapes > Cityscapes/Urban Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2020, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Madison, WI & Nokomis, FL

Hails from United States
Re: WIP Another street scene - SW France

Thanks so much, Bizz! Every new project I take on is designed to help me get better at painting. I spent 32 years working in an office instead of painting and have a lot of catching up to do.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2020, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Took a much needed break from this beast and got in the last x-country skiing of the season at the very delightful ABR in Ironwood, MI. Conditions were murderously fast, but much fun was had by all.

Back at it now. Here's the latest pic. I'm starting to fill in the distant group of tourists, among other things....
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_8370.jpeg (217.1 KB, 24 views)
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2020, 12:28 PM
Immortalized
Jacksonville, Florida

This is coming together nicely.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2020, 09:23 AM
Enthusiast

Great you managed to get a trip in Reed, before everything changes too much. Your painting just keeps getting better. Those distant figures are so convincing, despite the lack of detail. I hope it is not too long before we can all wander down these kinds of bustling streets again.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2020, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Thanks, Bizz! It's the land of slop here, now.

As to this painting, I was really struggling w/ getting the sunlit side of the street as sunny as I wanted it without getting too fake-looking. I changed up the temperature in the sky a bit and pushed highlights warmer and lighter on the stone facade mid-right and that seems to have done the trick.

I have no doubt I'll end up playing with it some more, but for now I can focus elsewhere. Pleased with my balcony supports. They were a challenge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8386.jpg (280.8 KB, 16 views)
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2020, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Heading to FL in a couple days, so I need to get this as close to finished as possible before I go. I won't mind taking a long break from it, but I rarely take one before a painting is finished.

I'm pretty excited about my next crazy project (a nocturne of the Chicago skyline), so it will take some discipline to finish this one first. At least I'm done screwing around with the sky.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_8430.jpeg (223.9 KB, 15 views)
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2020, 07:18 AM
Enthusiast

Often when going back to something the impetus and enthusiasm wanes. I find. You must keep going with this and it is wonderful. I love the splurge of colour in the rack of clothes and the detail in the whole thing is extraordinary. You should be very proud of your work!
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2020, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Thanks, Bizz! I will finish this the moment I get back and will post it as a final. I have WAY too much time into this one to do anything but. I already did most of the stuff I was worried about, so the rest is mostly busy work.

I do need to articulate the pair of clowns in the left foreground a lot better. They are holding rather large floral arrangements, and not the easiest thing to render. I'm sneaking up on them, but they WILL get better.

Everything that looks done needs a tweak or two, and some stuff still needs major surgery. Most of the foreground will get a few different glazing layers to darken them selectively (rather than darkening the chroma of all those bright colors when I mixed them). It's a trick I've used a lot and it works very well.

I figure I'll need a solid week to finish it, but at least it looks on the verge of finished. It's been a grinder, but what's new about that for me? Another one I'll be happy to take down, but happier when I varnish it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_8451.jpeg (216.3 KB, 13 views)
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2020, 07:39 PM
Enthusiast

simply wonderful. The crowd in the distance so well executed - the whole painting for that matter. Excellent job.

STUDIOBONGO
INSTAGRAM