WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Student's Dorm
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2015, 10:24 PM

Hails from United States
Looking into art school.

I'm currently an online graphic design student and I'm graduating at the end of the year. While at graphic design school I realized my heart is in illustration and I'm currently trying to teach myself how to draw and I want to go to art school. I was wondering if it's worth it? I'm also not straight out of high school. I'm pushing 30 and was wondering if my age is a setback at all and I shouldn't bother.

I was looking into:

U Arts in Philly. (I live in near Philly).

The Kubert School

and online with Academy of Arts University in SF.

I know they're expensive. I'm wondering if it's worth it.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2015, 08:24 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Re: Looking into art school.

The Art of Freelancing with Noah Bradley - Everything I Wish They Had Taught Me in Art School
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2015, 03:59 PM
Chuco Town (El Paso, Tx)

Gold Membership
Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by darry85
I'm currently an online graphic design student and I'm graduating at the end of the year. While at graphic design school I realized my heart is in illustration and I'm currently trying to teach myself how to draw and I want to go to art school. I was wondering if it's worth it? I'm also not straight out of high school. I'm pushing 30 and was wondering if my age is a setback at all and I shouldn't bother.

I was looking into:

U Arts in Philly. (I live in near Philly).

The Kubert School

and online with Academy of Arts University in SF.

I know they're expensive. I'm wondering if it's worth it.

I was an on campus student at the Academy of a Arts in San Francisco in the 1960s. Don't know anything about their online courses but it is a first class school. Academy or BFA programs are incredibly expensive these days and not necessary if you want to learn to draw. Better yet, since you live close to Philly, find a private teacher if you feel you need one.
You can do the same with a private teacher and be assured of attention while in a class of 30 you are going to get not much more than "draw this" and a critique of the drawing. You can get critiques here at WC for free.
If you feel like you need a degree then you must want to work for someone else that requires a degree. If you want to work for yourself than all you need is a portfolio of your best work to present to clients.
There are probably tons of private art teachers in Philly who will teach you everything you need to know for a lot less money than a brick and mortar school. Online courses are expensive and time consuming and the teachers will give you an assignment, send it in and get a grade. Better to have someone in your community to critique.
I did not start my B.As until i was 35+, didn't finish grad school with a PhD until i was almost 50. Never too late to start school. In fact the community colleges around here offer senior art instruction in drawing and painting for retired people like myself.
Try an arts program at a community college to see if you like it. But remember, if you go for an BFA your still going to have to do academic stuff like US history, English, Math and so on just like you would have to do for another major. The Academy in SF will also require stuff like English and Math if you want a BFA. Certificate program, probably not
("Pushing thirty" ? Your already thinking like your old. Stop it)
(I'm almost 77 and still take classes to learn more stuff)

"My aim in painting is to create pulsating, luminous, and open surfaces that emanate a mystic light, in accordance with my deepest insight into the experience of life and nature."
Hans Hoffman

Last edited by Chispa : 01-27-2015 at 04:03 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2015, 07:06 AM

Thumbs up Re: Looking into art school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chispa
I was an on campus student at the Academy of a Arts in San Francisco in the 1960s. Don't know anything about their online courses but it is a first class school. Academy or BFA programs are incredibly expensive these days and not necessary if you want to learn to draw. Better yet, since you live close to Philly, find a private teacher if you feel you need one.
You can do the same with a private teacher and be assured of attention while in a class of 30 you are going to get not much more than "draw this" and a critique of the drawing. You can get critiques here at WC for free.
If you feel like you need a degree then you must want to work for someone else that requires a degree. If you want to work for yourself than all you need is a portfolio of your best work to present to clients.
There are probably tons of private art teachers in Philly who will teach you everything you need to know for a lot less money than a brick and mortar school. Online courses are expensive and time consuming and the teachers will give you an assignment, send it in and get a grade. Better to have someone in your community to critique.
I did not start my B.As until i was 35+, didn't finish grad school with a PhD until i was almost 50. Never too late to start school. In fact the community colleges around here offer senior art instruction in drawing and painting for retired people like myself.
Try an arts program at a community college to see if you like it. But remember, if you go for an BFA your still going to have to do academic stuff like US history, English, Math and so on just like you would have to do for another major. The Academy in SF will also require stuff like English and Math if you want a BFA. Certificate program, probably not
("Pushing thirty" ? Your already thinking like your old. Stop it)
(I'm almost 77 and still take classes to learn more stuff)
Love it.hi
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartoonist

Any local art school in NJ? I'm a homeschooled kid and I don't plan to study on campus, but perhaps a good private school may be a good option too, not veru popular, with not many students... I'm just not very socialized..

I would recommend The Kubert School for a Cartoon Art enthusiast. The registration fee is only $100.00 and there's also a Lab fee for students > $875.00 which is optional. Here's their email: Info (at) kubertschool (dot) edu

Last edited by lumusislight : 02-26-2020 at 08:24 AM.