Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching Liquid Charcoal vs just…watercolour?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tirawen

I know that the burnt material in charcoal is not the same as in black watercolour paint (that can be made out of bones), but other than the pigment, why would someone use liquid charcoal instead of just using black watercolour paint? It has a pigment, binder plus water….so what’s the difference?

talisman

Not sure but blacks can be very different, especially if you lighten them a little, some are blueish, some brownish and some grayish. I don’t know about the liquid charcoal but it might be easier to change, that could be a reason.

Has anyone used the liquid charcoal?
            I would be interested to know more about it.

Dianna WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art
            C and C always welcome.
            My DeviantArt Gallery

Charcoal usually results in a warmer black .. that might be a good reason. I have never tried although.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Rosic

According to artist, Ceasar Santos… He likes the liquid charcoal because it matches the color temperature of charcoals. Here’s a demo of him using and explaining the product and method…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AgEtM9VeyY&list=PLz5a8WL-7fSdZgPHUttzQNygd6mrmRiuk&index=80&t=0s

"I'm traveling 33 1/3 RPM's in an IPOD world..."
                blackandwhite

The charcoal pigment is lightweight compared to e.g. mars black or ivory black, and it has larger particle size than carbon (soot) black, so it behaves differently than black watercolors or inks on textured paper or when using lot of water. Probably it has to be tried to see if it works or not in the intended style.

Traditionally the char pigments haven’t been much appreciated in very fluid media such as watercolors (probably because the pigment tends to float in the water), but I think the Nitram folks solved that by adding thickeners to the paint that makes it overall behave better.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.