Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching Question regarding portrait background

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I’m not going to post the drawing.

I am wrapping up a drawing of a student who passed a few months back, which will be a gift for the parents.

My idea was to incorporate some of the cartoon and literary characters that this child enjoyed into the background, very lightly, just enough to notice.

Most have thought it a thoughtful addition, but someone implied it would be distasteful. That person is rather young, however, and the opinion may be uninformed. However….

What do you think?

I’ve never done this kind of thing before. Maybe someone out there has?

Thank you.

Let's upset the apple cart, shall we?

Prismatoid

To me it does seem a bit strange… this will maybe sound awful and blunt but the drawing is for the parents not the child who passed. Cartoon characters might make it feel trivial and humorous, as if making light of the death.

Though it would depend also on the personalities of the parents. Maybe some would find comfort in such a thing and some would be upset.

Oh it’s so touchy… I would err on the side of caution honestly.

Wassie

Maybe give it without the background and ask them about their thoughts on the background. You could always add that later.

Thanks, everyone. Fortunately, I don’t have a lot of experience with this and had to ask. The loss of a child is not something I want to be familiar with.

The background will remain white, as in my photograph.

Let's upset the apple cart, shall we?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.