Home Forums Explore Media Photography The Darkroom Darkroom Topic Challenge #52, Soft Light, June 17-30, 2018

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

WC Darkroom Topic Challenge (C&C’s encouraged but not required)

Topic : Soft Light

Lately I have been enjoying the photos that I have taken outdoors on an overcast day. So, I decided that I would use that idea for this challenge. Lighting is so important in photography, good lighting that is. It can make the difference between a mediocre shot and one that takes your breathe away. So, we are looking for images that were taken or will be taking using SOFT LIGHT.

Soft Light is a diffused, even light that comes from a large area. Examples of soft light include a cloudy day, light diffused through a large curtain or sheet, outdoor shade, etc. Because these light sources are relatively large, they tend the light the subject very evenly, providing very smooth, gradual transitions from lighter to darker areas. This soft, smooth light can make for very pleasing photograph.

This Challenge will end June 30, 2018

Guidelines:
    1) All photos submitted must be yours.
    2) All entries are to be posted directly by each member into this thread in the DARKROOM.
    3) You may post more than one image, however, please submit only one photo per post.
    4) We hope that his activity inspires you to shoot new images and not just pull from your archives. However, images from your archives WILL be allowed as long as your image has NOT been previously posted on Wet Canvas.
    5) You may use software to manipulate or enhance your images.
    6) Since this activity is running in the Darkroom Forum, Comments and Critiques are allowed and encouraged but not mandatory. Anyone, regardless of experience, can offer his/her reaction to a photo, because most of those posting in the Darkroom would appreciate your C&C.
    7) Please keep comments and critiques constructive.
    8) Every other Sunday, a new topic challenge will begin.

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
    Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

Don

Photo site - http://donlwilliamsphotography.com

"A moment in time
        Immortalized forever
        With silver and light"

Gorgeous. Simply perfect start for the theme.

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
        Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

Don

Photo site - http://donlwilliamsphotography.com

"A moment in time
            Immortalized forever
            With silver and light"

This is so sweet. Because of your perspective, I get the feel of what the tiny fly sees as it gazes up at the big broad petals of the rose.

The soft light really accentuates the color, iridescence and details.

Well done, Don.
            LORELL

Anonymous

Nice ones, Don. I particularly like the vivid green of the fly vs the pale yellow of the petals.

I finally took advantage of the diffuse light we get this time of year courtesy of AM marine haze, and it turns out that I also have a floral macro with an insect. (Not as good as your photo, though.)

It’s a Zinnia, quite small (about 70% the size of a golf ball, I believe)…

maryinasia

these are beautiful

maryinasia

new computer…don’t have straightening software installed yet…

very good additions, Mary and Dave.

maryinasia

beautiful soft diagonals

Dreamin

Gorgeous photos!! I stopped by a fruit stand, and behind them was a field of flowers….so pretty!!

Natalie

Anonymous

Lovely images, Mary, Lorell, and Natalie.

Thanks all for your contributions to the “soft light” challenge. Your images definitely demonstrated how paying attention to light conditions can accentuate color, mood, detail, and more.

Time to move on.

Natalie,
                                    Gosh I really like that last photo you posted. There is something magical about it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.