Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink The difference between Pointillism and Stipple

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    DBSullivan

It’s a common mistake made by many artists to confuse these two terms, so I wanted to take a minute to rectify this. Both techniques use dots to create an image and the confusion between the two is quite understandable.

If you are creating an ink drawing using a single color ink for the entire drawing, you are using Stipple. It doesnt matter what color it is… it’s most likely black, but it could be blue, brown, red, etc… as long as the entire drawing uses only one color. The idea behind stipple is to use dots to create shades and tones, contrast etc.

Pointillism is when dots of multiple colors are used. Instead of blending colors together as you might in an oil painting, dots of different colors are overlapped to create specific colors.

Here are two examples of Ranger Dan’s work. He uses both techniques..

Here is a Stipple piece…

And here is a Pointillism piece…

Hope this helps! :wave:

Dave........."My pursuit of perfection is not intended to lead me to perfection, but to simply get me as far away as possible from imperfection."

Hoplite

I simply hate the word “stippling”, and will willfully continue to use pointillism since it is pretty much the same application of media. Yes, I know the difference – I’ll also probably continue to refer to (an ammo) magazine as a clip, even though I know better on that account, too. :eek:

Bluegill

I simply hate the word “stippling”, and will willfully continue to use pointillism since it is pretty much the same application of media. Yes, I know the difference – I’ll also probably continue to refer to (an ammo) magazine as a clip, even though I know better on that account, too. :eek:

Hey, that gives me a great idea! Let’s drag this out for 6 or 7 pages arguing about it! :wink2:

On Instagram and Facebook as Marktablerart
                http://marktablerart.blogspot.com/
                http://www.marktablerart.com/

Hoplite

Hey, that gives me a great idea! Let’s drag this out for 6 or 7 pages arguing about it!

He referred to it as a “mistake”. I am aware of the difference (and since I just used the term “pointillism” on another thread were Dave also contributed, I rather suspect I at least sparked his comment). I’m just letting him know it wasn’t a mistake per se, just my idiosyncratic usage. So, no particular argument.

And no, I won’t bite on another troll – you wanna drag it out, that’s entirely on your head. :wink2:

Darci Jones

Hm. . . I didn’t know that. Interesting!

DBSullivan

I started this thread to educate those who aren’t familiar with the difference between these two terms, because if I were using an incorrect term about anything, I would appreciate someone letting me know. I didnt make this stuff up and this isnt my opinion. There is really no need to debate it, argue it, discuss it, or even to defend your choice to ignore it. Sure… I could remind you of the negative effect it may have on your credibility as an artist if you used the wrong term to describe your work to a gallery, a client, an agent, etc but honestly… you can call a baseball bat a frying pan for all i care.

Therefore, Hoplite, this thread was apparently not posted for you… it’s for anyone out there who didn’t know this information but would like to know.

Dave........."My pursuit of perfection is not intended to lead me to perfection, but to simply get me as far away as possible from imperfection."

gakinme

Thank you, Dave, for the information. I never knew the difference. Now I know.

Hazartist

I appreciated this information very much…along with the examples. Beautiful!

Thanks!

Hoplite

I started this thread to educate those who aren’t familiar with the difference between these two terms, because if I were using an incorrect term about anything, I would appreciate someone letting me know. I didnt make this stuff up and this isnt my opinion.[/quote]

No one said otherwise. Here, I’ll reinforce it in case anyone got the wrong impression – you are quite correct. In fact, since there are many beginners who don’t know otherwise, my usage is misleading and I’ll use the formally correct ones from here on out, regardless of my irrational dislike of a particular term.

There is really no need to debate it, argue it, discuss it, or even to defend your choice to ignore it.

Since you appreciate being let known about being incorrect, you are quite incorrect. If you didn’t want it discussed, you need to post it in a locked terminology thread, rather than as a discussion thread. Which I think might be a good idea!

But since it isn’t, yeah, we get to do all those things.

Sure… I could remind you of the negative effect it may have on your credibility as an artist if you used the wrong term to describe your work to a gallery, a client, an agent, etc …

How I discuss things in a formal situation as opposed to an informal meant-to-be-friendly-and fun-one are two different things.

…but honestly… you can call a baseball bat a frying pan for all i care.

Ummmmm, so why the post in the first place? You care. It’s okay to admit it. Thank you for taking the effort. But honestly back at ya, you don’t need to get quite so huffy about it. I wasn’t questioning you, just explaining myself. Don’t know why you seem to be offended by that, but I offer you my sincere apologies. It was not my intent to be argumentative, just explain myself.

LeslieErica

Thank you, Dave, for the information. I am new to pen and ink, and I appreciate learning all that I can. I thought the terms were used interchangeably, and it IS important to learn that they are not, and I, for one needed to learn that. Thanks for the outstanding examples also.:clap:

DBSullivan

Hoplite – dude it’s cool! :cool: I’m a really laid back and chill guy… i wasnt offended at all and I apologize if I came off as being huffy. I do alot of writing and i sometimes have a tendency to “write” instead of “talk”. sorry for the confusion! :)

gakinme, Hazartist, & LeslieErica, glad I could help! :wave:

Hoplite

Hoplite – dude it’s cool! :cool: I’m a really laid back and chill guy… i wasnt offended at all and I apologize if I came off as being huffy. I do alot of writing and i sometimes have a tendency to “write” instead of “talk”. sorry for the confusion! :)

gakinme, Hazartist, & LeslieErica, glad I could help! :wave:

Then we be good!

Blah

Dave…Thank you for this thread. Until now I had thought that both the terms meant rendering with dots, regardless of whether it was in a single colour or not.

PVHooper

Hey DB

While I appreciate your definitions, most helpful to clarify, never realised this, but was wondering when and by whom these definitions were defined. Just interested… is it traditionally accepted for instance

Thx boet

[FONT=Century Gothic]Paul Vernon Hooper
                                                            "All the arts have one single purpose - to contribute to the art of living" - Hendrick van Loon

katwalk

George Seurat the French painter developed a style of painting called Pointillism with a few others in the mid/late 1800’s. He used dots of color to create his paintings, time consuming and rather amazing considering the size of some of his canvases. According to what I have read it is specifically technique of painting dots of color next to each other, sometimes complementary. Seurat studied color theory and applied it to his paintings. You can check out a short article here[/URL] or just Google his name for images and other references.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.